WiiMote - Is It Really Revolutionary?

Griever said:
I have to agree that it is for certain styles of gaming; but, like I said, I think it makes developing some styles of games harder because they simply work better with a control pad.

Besides, Ninty were talking about the Wii release about this being an all new way of controlling games and it isn't. It's just that they are "forcing" you to use it rather than giving you a choice much like Sony are "forcing" Blu-Ray on you.
lol yeah i guess so, however games like DBZ:BT2 allow you to use the classic controller so its possible that this will be an option in future games, and i think that any game genere would work well with the wiimote, developers just have to get off thier lazy asses and think instead of just poting buttons to movements, theres alotta room for improvement when developers decide to pick up the bar (if they ever do)

i agree with you it limits the Range of games -"may actually be reducing the ability of the console to pump out a diverse range of games."
I think the wiimote is differant, good differant,not really revolutionary, well revolutianary is an opinion, the computer,internet,interactive tv (vidio games) thats revolutionary

developers just have to get off thier lazy asses and think instead of just poting buttons to movements, theres alotta room for improvement when developers decide to pick up the bar (if they ever do)
Unless you strap the Wiimote to your foot I can't see FIFA or Pro Evo (mainly the latter, I hate FIFA games since they're just too unrealistic) working without being really cheesy.

revolution is defined as:
-a drastic and far-reaching change in ways of thinking and behaving
-A revolution is a relatively sudden and absolutely drastic change

so in this sence yep the wiimote is revolutionary, the first point can relate to the way we play games, a different level of thought and behaviour is required, therefore making the wiimote revolutionary.
the second can relate to the style of controller, just looks at a GC controller and a wiimote side by side...sudeen and drastic change? uh hell yeah!

The wireless, freehand Wii Remote not only makes games easy to play, it makes them more fun than ever before. Accentuating the sense of touch in the game lets you feel the heat of emotion with each movement. Because up to four players can grab a Wii Remote and play, there's always a party ready to happen with Wii!

The Wii Remote frees you from cords and excessive, complicated buttons without sacrificing gameplay depth. The motion sensors contained within the Wii Remote and the Nunchuk controller add totally new interactions to existing games while opening doors for new genres. The Wii console makes your senses come alive!

Wireless and motion-sensitive, the Wii Remote offers an intuitive, natural way to play games. The ergonomic controller plays into the conventional motions you make everyday. When you hit a drum, swing a tennis racket or swing a bat; why should you have to press a button to replicate these things? With the Wii Remote, you can use everyday motions to help make you the centre of the game.

Nintendo designed the Wii Remote to be the most multifaceted gaming device ever. It can be a sword in one game and then a steering wheel for racing games. It's your paintbrush, your golf club, your aeroplane, but most of all, it's your key to unlocking a world of fun you've never imagined.

Connect the Nunchuk to the Wii Remote and get ready. You've just begun a journey into the most immersive, heated gameplay experience ever offered. This combo offers the utmost precision. They're your sword and shield to defend Hyrule in The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. They're your weapons to blast your way through the cramped corridors of Metroid Prime 3: Corruption and the gritty underworld of Red Steel.

The Nunchuk and the motion sensor contained within it are the next leap in gaming. In first-person shooters, the controller carries the burden of movement, freeing you to aim and fire using a more natural motion with the Wii Remote. In an American football game, you can make your quarterback elusive with the Nunchuk controller while you look for an open receiver to throw to using the Wii Remote.

http://wiiportal.nintendo-europe.com/13.html

Sounds pretty revolutionary to me.

I think without a doubt it IS revolutionary. Im a big Playstation fan and still own a Ps2 but since ive had the Wii the Ps2 has been gathering dust. The Wii enables people, friends and families, to enjoy a lifelike gaming experience together. As opposed to the light gun and suchlike u mention. The Wiimote gives people the opportunity to feel like they are actually taking part in the game, also, coupled with the nunchuck, it has as many buttons as a standard xbox/playstation control pad. (Well, buttons of actual use). On the whole, i think Nintendo can (and have) pulled it off in terms of titles with higher expectations aka Fifa football, Tiger Woods, The Godfather, Zelda blah blah blah. Id say every Wii owner would be happy with their purchase, and after all, they all cant be wrong.

Griever said:
Unless you strap the Wiimote to your foot I can't see FIFA or Pro Evo (mainly the latter, I hate FIFA games since they're just too unrealistic) working without being really cheesy.
also sorry about the double post, ok simlply... why not? wii boxing has gloves to hold the wiimote so why not make a strap of shoe that holds the wiimote too? and with a wireless nunchuk youd be away! i agree there would be limits but hey if a kick of you leg kicked the ball then its be awesome, use you imagination! also theres no reason you cant hold the nunchuk to controll the running and have the wiimote strapped to your foot to kick!

Sorry for the double post!!
If the Godfather can pull off using the Nunchuck and Wiimote to run as well as shoot, crouch, swing, change weapon and stuff, surely they can get around the small problem of running and kicking a ball????

Griever said:
Okay; we all know what Nintendo think of their new system just from the project name it was given - "Revolution" - but is the idea of using a motion sensor really that revolutionary or is it just a gimmick Nintendo have cleverly incorperated to try and get people to buy the system? I suppose the casual buyer could be fooled into thinking it was completely new given the fact that no other console has ever relied solely on such a system of control but does that really mean it is actually new or does that just mean that Nintendo are banking on the casual buyer's not really knowing?

I mean; the Wii is hardly the first system to use such a method of control. We all know that in arcades there are several gaming platforms which use similiar methods of control to make the game feel more interactive to the player. Lightgun games such as "Time Crisis" and "House of the Dead", skateboarding and snowboarding games which make use of moveable platforms which you stand on and the "Dance Dance Revolution" series are all viable examples. The "House of the Dead" series has even taken the idea to a new level with the reload features it put into the games such as shaking the Uzi for reload of pumping the shotgun for reloading and even introducing grenades in much the same way they are used in Wii title "Red Steel" (I shouldn't have to remind everyone that the "House of the Dead" series is a SEGA franchise).

I just have one thing to say about that one paragraph. Theose aren't ALL motion sensing. I do agree, you have a very good point, but Dance Dance Revolution isn't motion sensing. All it is is just putting weight on the little arrow platforms. Just wanted to put that out there. Otherwise, I agree.

I just have one thing to say about that one paragraph. Theose aren't ALL motion sensing. I do agree, you have a very good point, but Dance Dance Revolution isn't motion sensing. All it is is just putting weight on the little arrow platforms. Just wanted to put that out there
I was using DDR as an example of making the game more interactive - not as an example of motion sensing.

Three words.. Mario.Strikers.Charged
Four words. Not A Football Game.

If the Godfather can pull off using the Nunchuck and Wiimote to run as well as shoot, crouch, swing, change weapon and stuff, surely they can get around the small problem of running and kicking a ball????
I just think games like the Godfather, GTA and Zelda (i.e Third Person games) work better on a control pad since I think the WiiMote is actually more of a hinderance. Because of this I think the same will be true for a football game.

Id say every Wii owner would be happy with their purchase, and after all, they all cant be wrong.
I never said the Wii wasn't a good/fun console; I love playing it. I just don't think the WiiMote is as special as fanboys make it out to be.

The Wii enables people, friends and families, to enjoy a lifelike gaming experience together. As opposed to the light gun and suchlike u mention. The Wiimote gives people the opportunity to feel like they are actually taking part in the game, also, coupled with the nunchuck, it has as many buttons as a standard xbox/playstation control pad.
How does it make them feel anymore a part of the game than a lightgun/skateboard motion pad or the guitar from guitar hero? The fact is it does the same thing only on a mass scale and it's the attitude that the WiiMote is such a brilliantly new concept which I think is extremely flawed.

It is fun but it ain't new.

@Cantgetawii:

You posted an ADVERT for the console. It's supposed to make it sound revolutionary. Why don't you just post some Nazi propaganda and claim Hitler was a master of International Politics? The fact is that stuff like that has been out for a while and it isn't revolutionary at all; the only difference is that you have to use it for every title and I don't think that's a good thing in all cases. Hitting a drum, swinging a sword etc are all pretty obvious uses but they've all been done before hence it is not revolutionary it is just slightly different.

Unless Fifa comes with an attachment(wireless) that you put into the wii-mote and then you put it on your foot
That'd be sweet :D

Last edited:
I have to admit that if they did strap it to your foot I would definately play it. Although, personally, I would need something to know where I am kicking the ball so I can put spin on and things... xD

Like i said before, i love the Playstation, and the controller dont get me wrong, i just think the Wii brings a whole new fun concept to gaming. The Wii and Wiimote allows the best of both worlds as u will be able to get most big titles for the Wii now that are out for the ps and xbox plus the bonus of the more fun games (Wii sports for instance).

P.S. If u dont want any fanboy responses, dont start anti-Wii threads on a Wii Fansite!!

Griever said:
I never said the Wii wasn't a good/fun console; I love playing it. I just don't think the WiiMote is as special as fanboys make it out to be.

Well Fanboys try and make whatever they fancy sound like god, so fanboys are saying it's singlehandedly the best thing ever known to video gaming.. it's not but it's still amazingly good fun :wink:

Back