Wii's Software Lineup Lacks Depth in 2008?

CantGetAWii

WiiChat Member
Dec 22, 2006
WiiChat
Wii Online Code
3099-0319-5478-2979
According to IGN GamerMetrics, which monitors the traffic patterns of some 15 million hardcore gamers, the PlayStation 3 is "poised to make a run" in 2008 thanks to strong interest in Metal Gear Solid 4, Killzone 2, Devil May Cry 4, and LittleBigPlanet, three of which are exclusive.

"The combined interest in upcoming PlayStation 3 software pulled the PS3 even with the Xbox 360," reads the report, "which suggests that Sony could be on the verge of its long awaited comeback."

With regards to Nintendo, the stat-tracking ninjas at GamerMetrics predict another banner year for company thanks to Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Mario Kart Wii, and Wii Fit, but that the "Wii software lineup still lacks depth."

And gamers hoping for fewer sequels and more fun on the go may be sad to learn that established franchises will continue to dominate and there will be a "relative lull for DS and PSP" games in 2008, says the report.

There's always next year.

I personally don't feel the Wii has a shallow software lineup for 2008. It may end up being one of the stronger years in terms of good games for its whole life cycle.

Source:
http://www.gamepro.com/news.cfm?article_id=157228

it looks like the vast majority of praisable wii titles will be coming from nintendo. if more third-party developers would put forth more effort into producing wii titles, we might get some more "depth" in our game selection.

Just two titles isnt enough. No More Heroes is cool, but its not for everyone.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Mario Kart Wii are really the only two im looking foward too. But Mario Kart Wii > SSBB for me though.

I don't know what they're talking bout. There looks like a $h!t load of games comin out this year.

for me, all i have to look forward to at the moment are brawl, mario kart, house of the dead, and a new zelda.

no more heroes not for everyone same as brawl to me..even though im going to try melee of a mate.

but ever if it's ign i think there being biast.

i cant see over 2-4 million ps3 getting sold for those titles as most people would of bought ps3 already

Im looking at SSBB, Mario Kart, Red Steel 2, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Crystal Bearers, and Dragon Quest Swords: (long name that I cant remember.)

Brawl and Mario Kart.

What more could we need?

I'd be satisfied if these were the ONLY games released in 2008 :lol:

Mario Kart is going to be awesome. I just know. But you know what else I'm excited about? GHOSTBUSTERS! Serious, who can't get excited about that? :D

I've heard nothing of a new Zelda in 2008. Probably won't be one until 2009. If 2008 produces a new Zelda, I'll piss my pants. Although it better not suck. I like the style of TP.

CantGetAWii said:
I personally don't feel the Wii has a shallow software lineup for 2008. It may end up being one of the stronger years in terms of good games for its whole life cycle.

Source:
http://www.gamepro.com/news.cfm?article_id=157228

I wish these people would complain to the ones MAKING the games, cuz it's only THEM that's gonna make the wii game line up any deeper. Nintendo can't, and shouldn't have to do it alone. As it stand right now, they really don't give a **** and we are experiencing the results!

AoWFraggit said:
it looks like the vast majority of praisable wii titles will be coming from nintendo. if more third-party developers would put forth more effort into producing wii titles, we might get some more "depth" in our game selection.

Exactly!

Last edited:
Problem is 3rd party games tend to not sell at all on the Wii. Like I think EA said that 50% of their 3rd party sales came from 360. While publishers dont want to publish 3rd party games for Wii unless its something cheap like a mini-game bundle because they're afraid it wont sell.

Sadness is having trouble getting a publisher because of this.

T3kNi9e said:
Problem is 3rd party games tend to not sell at all on the Wii. Like I think EA said that 50% of their 3rd party sales came from 360. While publishers dont want to publish 3rd party games for Wii unless its something cheap like a mini-game bundle because they're afraid it wont sell.

Interesting point you make there. What do you think may solve the problem?

T3kNi9e said:

Well most of the EA games on Wii do alright, many like the motion controls in Madden 08 etc. I think its more of people not wanting to play the sports games in general, each year can be the same for the most part some may feel, so they focus their attention and money elsewhere.

As for Sadness this is the latest news:
Nibris is now in talks with Digital Amigos to publish the game.

Personally, I feel this game will be developed. I don't see why it won't, compared to most games we get on the Wii. It will most likely come out in 2009, I guess thats a safe bet.

Here's some of the story for Sadness:
Set in pre-WWI Eastern Europe, Sadness follows the story of Maria, a woman who has to protect her narcoleptic son Alexander after their train derails in the countryside. Their subsequent adventures are based on Slavic legends, and become even more bizarre as Alexander begins acting oddly.

As for third party developers I will say what I have several times. Middle of 2007 there was an article about developers misjudging the Wii, and making several rushed mini-games for quick cash. However, they later saw the potential with the Wii, mainly with the controls and have promised better efforts. This better efforts will most likely come out near the end of 2008 as they take some time to develop of course.

What needs to be done first is have Nintendo shift their focus on the casual gamer to the hardcore, or at least turn it down a notch. This will attract more people who avoided the Wii or sold their consoles to come back and buy one. That will only happen if good games come out though, and if Nintendo turns the casual down a bit, but I don't see that happening anytime soon. So what we need to do is play the third party games we do get, as most of them are looking pretty good.

Overall though, I feel the lineup for the Wii for 2008 to be very good. Many games are coming out that I see myself playing.

CantGetAWii said:
Well most of the EA games on Wii do alright, many like the motion controls in Madden 08 etc. I think its more of people not wanting to play the sports games in general, each year can be the same for the most part some may feel, so they focus their attention and money elsewhere.

As for Sadness this is the latest news:

Personally, I feel this game will be developed. I don't see why it won't, compared to most games we get on the Wii. It will most likely come out in 2009, I guess thats a safe bet.

Here's some of the story for Sadness:

As for third party developers I will say what I have several times. Middle of 2007 there was an article about developers misjudging the Wii, and making several rushed mini-games for quick cash. However, they later saw the potential with the Wii, mainly with the controls and have promised better efforts. This better efforts will most likely come out near the end of 2008 as they take some time to develop of course.

What needs to be done first is have Nintendo shift their focus on the casual gamer to the hardcore, or at least turn it down a notch. This will attract more people who avoided the Wii or sold their consoles to come back and buy one. That will only happen if good games come out though, and if Nintendo turns the casual down a bit, but I don't see that happening anytime soon. So what we need to do is play the third party games we do get, as most of them are looking pretty good.

Overall though, I feel the lineup for the Wii for 2008 to be very good. Many games are coming out that I see myself playing.

Are you speaking of the same "hardcore" that left Nintendo during the N64 and Gamecube eras?

This whole situation sound like a Paradox. Nintendo turned to the "casual" market cuz it was losing the "hardcore" fast. It was a sinking ship, and now that they have that market, the "hardcore" are mad at it and it is being vilified all across the indudtry for not catering to the same market that turned on it in the first place!

Last edited:
Back