Wii's Software Lineup Lacks Depth in 2008?

Wii has a pretty solid line-up and now no one can accuse me of being biased

Well, high web-traffic doesn't exactly give definite predictions for console and game sales, that and I'm sure a lot of people don't exactly want to buy PS3 for a few games since it's high price tag is slightly intimidating.

Good article but I think Nintendo will still find a way to pull out on top, I think this will be Xbox 360's year to fail while PS3 may jump ahead into second. I just see Nintendo's titles as a larger success due to their popularity in the 90's (ie. Mario Kart, SmashBros, etc).

romj said:
Interesting point you make there. What do you think may solve the problem?

Nintendo needs to help advertise 3rd party games for sure. Some people blame 3rd party devs, I personally blame Nintendo. Not all publishers can advertise their own games. So far I only really see EA and Ubisoft advertise their own games. But those are big companies with alot of money.

T3kNi9e said:
Nintendo needs to help advertise 3rd party games for sure. Some people blame 3rd party devs, I personally blame Nintendo. Not all publishers can advertise their own games. So far I only really see EA and Ubisoft advertise their own games. But those are big companies with alot of money.
Yes, I'll agree. I never see non-Nintendo ads, and if I do the game isn't exclusive. They need to help developers publish their works. It would help the Wii gain market share as well.

T3kNi9e said:
Yeah, but Nintendo isn't going to come to the smaller 3rd Party producers and tell them they are going to advertise their game, the 3rd Party producers need to go to Nintendo (which is what they are not doing). It's not Nintendo to blame.

The only reason wii isnt selling as much as other consoles is it lacks in all its features. i own a wii and my friend owns a 360 and games for wii wont have the same modes as a 360.

example: NBA live 08 only has season mode while for 360 has dynesty, season, FIBA, and more.

For WWE: smackdown vs raw 2008 it only has 5 mach types.
but for the 360 it has 5 mach types PLUS another 10 styles in one type (example:a single mach will have another 10 styles in it like ladder mach, cage mach, money in the back mach, Ect.). while wii doesnt have any of those features. if wii wants to grow they have to have the same (if not more) features as the 360 and PS3. also for wii there is only a Main Event mode and Tournament mode. 360 and PS3 have 24/7 mode, GM mode, Main event, Tournament, and alot more Extra features.

Also online is a big factor. Online is is a thing ppl look for in games...if wii would make more shooting olnine games they should be the biggest console in 2008-2009

Last edited:
No, I doubt that. I already know that modes are missing and online is a factor. But, thats only a small factor in sales. Most people who buy games out their do not read reviews so they dont actually know that its missing modes. They just buy the games. Think about how it was before the Internet was invented. There was only Magazines which not many people would actually buy. How did companies sell? With Ads, so if you cannot market the product appropriately you will not sell.

A perfect example is Red Steel. It has a 63/100 at metacritic. Basically the game sucked. Some people liked it but most people hated it. But it sells a Million copies! Zack & Wiki gets a 87/100. Thats 24 points higher on average. I dont think Zack & Wiki even sold 500,000 copies. I forgot the number but its really low. Mario Party 8! 62/100... Sells 2.89 copies... Why? Because Nintendo advertised Red Steel and Mario Party 8. So yes... Shitty games do sell if you actually have marketing skills.

T3kNi9e said:
A perfect example is Red Steel. It has a 63/100 at metacritic. Basically the game sucked. Some people liked it but most people hated it. But it sells a Million copies! Zack & Wiki gets a 87/100. Thats 24 points higher on average. I dont think Zack & Wiki even sold 500,000 copies. I forgot the number but its really low. Mario Party 8! 62/100... Sells 2.89 copies... Why? Because Nintendo advertised Red Steel and Mario Party 8. So yes... Shitty games do sell if you actually have marketing skills.
I'll give you Red Steel, but I think another major factor that made people buy Mario Party 8 is the fact that it's a huge franchise and most people have heard about it.

The average consumer for products like Mario Party 8 and Zack & Wiki do not look at scores and/or ratings.

True, which makes everything I said true. The average Wii consumer is a casual gamer, so they dont look at scores and ratings. Only thing they see is the box art, w/e screen shots are on the back and ads.

sremick said:
Mario Kart is going to be awesome. I just know. But you know what else I'm excited about? GHOSTBUSTERS! Serious, who can't get excited about that? :D

I can't wait, but I'm not sure I'll want it for the wii unless the wiimote functions as a proton gun for point/click busting.

unknown.jpg

Either way, should be a great game.

acershot said:
The only reason wii isnt selling as much as other consoles is it lacks in all its features.
Actually, one of the biggest reasons the Wii isn't selling more is Nintendo can't make enough of them to keep up with demand. It's been out HOW long now, and stores still can't keep stock for more than a few hours/minutes?

The Wii might not have the graphics and features and power of other consoles, but that's not the primary issue holding back its sales.

Back