WiiWare game - 40MB max in size

Skippy

WiiChat Member
Dec 28, 2006
Some new information regarding WiiWare games has come out. For one, the filesize of the games has a 40MB max. While this is a little bit more than the biggest VC games, it's not very big (XBox Live Arcade games were originally capped at 50MB, but are now capped at 250MB).

We're still going to end up with storage issues though. Why? Because a lot of them are on the horizon. Nintendo is working on about 35 games and another 65 games are beind developed by third parties. Although Nintendo is limiting third party developers to one release each month per developer.

More here:
http://www.nintendic.com/news/1447

JAKE196 said:
how many blocks is that?

I believe one block is 128k, so a full 40MB game would be 312.5 blocks (probably gets rounded up to 313).

Just for comparison, Ocarina of Time is 297 blocks.

hmm so a wiiware title will be equivelent to a N64 game, thats alright imo.

Now can anyone use the wiiware software of only "developers"

Dayoh said:
hmm so a wiiware title will be equivelent to a N64 game, thats alright imo.

Now can anyone use the wiiware software of only "developers"

I think you still need some sort of development kit from Nintendo and they probably have to approve your game for distribution, but I don't really know the details.

Basicly people make little games, give it to nintendo they stick it on the VC

wiiman14 said:
What is WiiWare again lol?

Everybody Votes Channel, Check Mii Out, Internet Channel, Metroid Prime Preview Channel are all current WiiWare downloads. Starting in March (in Japan at least, hopefully elsewhere at the same time), actual new games will be available for purchase (as opposed to old games for the Virtual Console).

They will more than likely make a hardrive for the wii, but it will probably be external, but that's better than nothing.

I'd also imagine once wiiware is available a DVD channel may be created, even if by 3rd party. Someone needs to create Beer pong or "cup pong" (kid friendly) for wiiware... That'd be awesome for parties!

Back