WiiWare to launch next year

Rob Rymond

WiiChat Member
Jun 17, 2007
Solihull, U.K
[xfloat=left]http://www.wiichat.com/robry/wiiconsole.jpg[/xfloat]Rumours are filtering through from GoNintendo that a new channel for the Wii will launch sometime next year.

Reggis Fils-Aime disclosed some information regarding WiiWare, the original downloadable content channel which was discussed prior to launch of the Wii. The name of the channel is yet to be announced but the official name for the games is WiiWare; kinda like Xbox Live Arcade titles. The games will be sourced from both big name developers and the indie parties. Pricing and ratings will be determined by each company.

A press statement is due to be released later today so we shall keep you informed of the full details when we receive them!

cool sounds good but yeah i dont wanna wait that long :(

I don't wanna wait that long and I'm a bit worried about filling up the storage space on my Wii. I really don't want to have to constantly transfer files between my Wii and my 2GB SD card... =/

Nintendo should charge us for these games, not the vc's. Or atleast give us a better deal on them, like packages. I'm excited about Wiiware, I can't wait to see what games are in development.

I'm fine with the wait. This is something that could be really great if done correctly and I'd hate to see it rushed out just to appease the impatient.

I'm looking forward to it.

sherwood3570 said:
Nintendo should charge us for these games, not the vc's. Or atleast give us a better deal on them, like packages. I'm excited about Wiiware, I can't wait to see what games are in development.

Well, that's what about to happen. The plan is, to let third party developers do any games they'd like to and set them online on WiiWare. Big N itself doesn't want to use it. They'll use the VC, but won't delevop new games which the WiiWare Channel will be about. The games uploaded to WiiWare will cost WiiPoints, so nothing free here. Except, maybe it'll be used for Demos, too.

here's a little link, so you can give yourself some more info about it : http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=13714

Sounds cool but it is another thing I probably won't use. I havn't bought any VC games even though I think it is a great idea, I don't have money for things like this lol, I just save up for the Wii games (and DS), but if Majora's Mask comes out on VC, I may look into purchasing that. (I wouldn't mind one day buying all the old Zelda's on VC but you can get them on GBA cart's now anyhow).

It would be nice if we could also purchase some downloadable content there, but I'm also curious about these new games. I really love those small but addictive games ^^

Can't wait! But what I really want, is to start making games for Wiiware. I've always got great ideas for games, but I can never use them... So I'm very interested in what the development software will cost, how accessible it'll be, and how much knowledge is needed to be able to do the programing. If they make it cheap, accessible and easy to program, then I'll get it. I even have a friend who works for mobile phone games, so I could start making games with him. That would rock!

Back