will a sandisk memory card that doesnt say"for wii" work on the wii?

gowdemon said:
I bought a 2.0 GB Sandisk and it doesnt fit my Wii. I might be retarded.. do I need to buy an adapter or something??

scandisk makes many memory cards

not all scandisk cards are sd

make sure its an sd card

it doesnt matter who makes the card it matters what kind of card it is

sd is the type of card that the wii needs

I used my Mobile Phone's microSD in my SD card adaptor, it still worked.
And I could listen to my OWN music on Excite Truck.

im waiting for a 1gb official wii sd memory card to come thru that I won off ebay the other day , think I got a bargain as the total including postage was £4.74 lol . cheapest price I have seen for an official wii memory card

itguy07 said:
It's the limitation of FAT16 that is used by many products that use SD cards. Until a couple months ago, SD cards bigger than 2GB were not popular at all.

For more information, see:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/reskit/core/fncc_fil_blpd.mspx?mfr=true

At some point, Nintendo can release a firmware update to allow the use of FAT32.
That's not quite true. One can format a 4GB SD card with FAT16. However, that requires the use of 64K clusters, so wasted space will be high. Old versions of DOS (inc. Win95, 98, Me) limited the cluster size to 32K. That's why they couldn't use greater than 2GB partitions.

The biggest problem is that 4GB+ cards are not simple SD cards, they are SDHC. That means electrically they are different. Standard SD slots do not support 4GB cards, regardless of the format. The slot needs to be SDIO.

Back