Will all PS2 games play on the PS3?

bob11

WiiChat Member
Oct 12, 2007
HI
Sorry to be a newbie, but not long had my console.
My question is if anyone could be kind enough to advise me, is do all PS2 games play on the PS3 (I have the 60gb console not the 40)

I have seen a game on PS2 which has all the original Sonic the Hedgehog games on it that used to be on the SEGA.
Now when I asked the girl at the counter if it would play on my PS3 she shrugged her shoulders and said she didn't know.
I asked could I take the game and try it out and if it doesn't work can I bring it back and she said no.
The game costs £15 and I can't afford to lose that money if I buy the game and it is no good, but really want the game.
Thanks

That realy depends on which model you get.

In the UK, the 60GB have backwards compatibility, but some of the games get messed up (some sound etc). The 40GB version however, has no backwards compatibility whatsoever.

The 60GB and 20GB in US I think has full backwards compatibility, but I think there is the 80GB version which is also software emulated rather than hardware, and so that has the same problems as the UK version of 60GB.

I think they're phasing out the other SKU's of PS3, so if you don't pick up the right one soon, you may be out of luck. Although on the plus side, I think the PS2's may still be being manufactured (there will be a new PS2 released in Japan, though not sure if it'll come to the UK or US).

Squall7 said:
I think the PS2's may still be being manufactured (there will be a new PS2 released in Japan, though not sure if it'll come to the UK or US).

Yes the PS2 are still selling well and of cause they are the best selling console ever so they are still getting hardware + software developed for them.

SLES-53350 SONIC GEMS COLLECTION ***
SLES-51950 SONIC HEROS **
SLES-52998 SONIC MEGA COLLECTION PLUS ***

If you're talking about one of these games then they should work fine.

*** No known issues to date
** Should play on PLAYSTATION®3 with some minor issues
* Should play on PLAYSTATION®3 with noticeable issues

That's what Sony EU says...Clickity!

Thanks for your advice
The link is very useful! I shall pop that in my favourites.
:smilewinkgrin:

I was told not all last gen games will run properly on the PS3, this goes for the 360 as well. Each company has a website list, and each company has been fixing the games that don't work.

I'd advice you to buy a 40gb PS3 for $399 and a PS2 for about $75-$100 just to be safe =P.

I bought the Sonic mega Collection plus and it works fine!

Thanks for your useful advice and for the links
:smilewinkgrin:

Back