Will an airport metal detector harm my Wii?

no, i flew from the east coast to Arizona with my wii, and it is fine.

but be sure by all means to put it in your carry-on luggage.

I've taken my wii to both Singapore and Malaysia. No problem. If you put it on your checked luggage, be sure to put it in a box or some type of packaging, and it will be fine. None of the scanning machines will harm it.

As long as the X-rays dont use strong magnets it shouldn't harm the wii's
256 MiB hard drive. And check with security "FIRST", call the airport and ask for the TSA office in the airport. They'll probably ask why just them them you want to ask them some question directly. And ask them if you can even take the wii on the plane. If it were the 90 still (Before 9/11) there be no problem but now it be best to ask first.

Since the Wii does not use a physical hard disk only flash memory , a magnetic field would cause no harmful damage to your unit either. + i thought it was 512Mb of on board storage.. ? I could be mistaken

Last edited:
nxcmp said:
Since the Wii does not use a physical hard disk only flash memory , a magnetic field would cause no harmful damage to your unit either. + i thought it was 512Mb of on board storage.. ? I could be mistaken

yea your right but and article on wikipedia said MiB. i just looked once more and its back to Mb. wonder why they said MiB???

I want to bring my Wii on my vacation, BTW If I brought it to the airport and put it in the box it comes in, would I have to take it all out when I get to the secruity system thing?

399 post!!!!!!!

CARRY IT ON! you will have to remove it and have it in plain view before passing through TSA... so use a nice soft bag (i use a laptop bag) and make sure it's EASILY accessible and viewable.:yesnod:

DO NOT CHECK IT WITH LUGGAGE! :yesnod:

we travel allot! Spring - Fall!

don't even check ANYTHING if you can help it, airlines lose around 10% of all checked luggage, and this can rise to 20-30% depending on the season.

Back