Will I wish I had waited 'til next Christmas to buy the 2007 Wii?

tinacap77

WiiChat Member
Dec 5, 2006
my family is new to this gaming world. We gave our son a DS Lite for his birthday and are considering purchasing the Wii for the whole family. I have been having trouble locating one and started wondering if we should be buying the Game Cube instead for $99 and then next year get the next generation of the Wii.

If we buy this first generation Wii now, will I regret this decision next Christmas and wish I had waited? I read that the Wii that Nintendo is coming out with in the later part of 2007 will be DVD compatible.

Uh, unless youre obsessed with black or anything not white, then dont bother.

I was under the assumption thats where it was heading. *shrug* thats what i get for believing what people on here say.

Last edited:
I can read......

I assure you....I can read and in fact, quite well...being able to read and understand something totally new to me are two different things.

So, reading between the lines of your "helpful" e-mail, it sounds like you are saying, "No, you won't regret buying the Wii system this year and not wating until next year at this time." Thanks for your kindness in trying to help me out.

Mmy said:
This is a forum. That was a forum post. Not an email.

Just so you know.
Saw that one coming...give her a break, shes just trying to assure a happy family :)

~Blu

Mmy said:
Uh, unless youre obsessed with black or anything not white, then dont bother.

Why can't anyone read around here? DVD compatability is SOFTWARE BASED. Which means that nintendo just has to release an update and then BAM! Dvd playback.

Actually the Wiis (as well as Gamecube) read the discs backwards, and normal DVDs are read forward. So a software update really isn't much of an option. Reggie stated no there were no DVD Playback Wiis coming to the States, and then there are Game sites reporting that there is one coming to the states. I don't know about you, but I believe Reggie (President of nintendo America) in this case (MTV Interview), unless hes really holding back a lot of information and all that just to make sure sales continue to go strong.

Also you'll notice none of them state "DVD playback Wiis coming to North America", the only place I have read of it going to be is just Japan.

Now I will admit a classmate of mine has told me the whole Nintendo thing reading the disc backward is actually false, I asked him for some type of source for this information and he hasn't really supplied me with one.

Last edited:
I would get the Wii now for a few reasons:
1) Its fun, the Gamecube is fun but the Wii takes gaming to a whole new level
2)Most families have a DVD player somewhere in the house and I personally would never use a DVD player on my Wii
3)The color doesn't really matter...

However if you are just deciding this now, you may have trouble getting one before Christmas...

Edit: you don't state that you are looking for this before this Christmas, sorry I Misread.

~Blu

Mmy said:
I was being helpfull, i didnt insult.
Well, there's a difference between being insulting and being hostile. I'd say you came off as a tad bit hostile.

Anyway, just give it some time. If you can't find a Wii in time then I guess you could fall back on a Gamecube, although I never really got any use of mine aside from Super Smash Bros. There's still time for Christmas, plenty of time to try and obtain a Wii.

Also, there's not going to be much difference from these Wiis and next year's besides different colors. Almost makes me wish I had patience to wait for a black one. :crazy:

xbandaidx said:
Actually the Wiis (as well as Gamecube) read the discs backwards, and normal DVDs are read forward. So a software update really isn't much of an option. Reggie stated no there were no DVD Playback Wiis coming to the States, and then there are Game sites reporting that there is one coming to the states. I don't know about you, but I believe Reggie (President of nintendo America) in this case (MTV Interview), unless hes really holding back a lot of information and all that just to make sure sales continue to go strong.

Also you'll notice none of them state "DVD playback Wiis coming to North America", the only place I have read of it going to be is just Japan.

Now I will admit a classmate of mine has told me the whole Nintendo thing reading the disc backward is actually false, I asked him for some type of source for this information and he hasn't really supplied me with one.

The GC and Wii "spinning backwards" was a false urban legend. You do not need a sourse or a link to believe me. Just test it yourself on the GC. Open the cover while it's spinning, and you'll see it spins normally.

tinacap77 said:
my family is new to this gaming world. We gave our son a DS Lite for his birthday and are considering purchasing the Wii for the whole family. I have been having trouble locating one and started wondering if we should be buying the Game Cube instead for $99 and then next year get the next generation of the Wii.

If we buy this first generation Wii now, will I regret this decision next Christmas and wish I had waited? I read that the Wii that Nintendo is coming out with in the later part of 2007 will be DVD compatible.

I am not trying to be rude in any way at all, but why in the hell would you want something soooooooooo 90's like a DVD player in late 2007?!? DVD is yesterday's technology. It is being replaced by HD-DVD or Blu-Ray. By late next year, it will be even more outdated. It's like buying a tape player in 1990, when tapes were well on their way to being replaced by CD's.

LOL, maybe that's because the new generation of DVD serves little purpose other than acting as a money sink for people who have too much cash burnin a hole in their pocket.

Anyway, yeah get the Wii, it's definately going to provide more enjoyment for the whole family than a gamecube, if you get the family hooked on wiisports you'll spend hours a day together playing. At least that's how it's working over here at my house.

Just get it now, im sure you already have a DVD player. Besides, the Wii is aimed more at gaming and not so much DVD compatibility.

Last edited:
Definately try to get a wii, It's like a teaser to buy a game cube. Also, the DVD feature should be a + only, That's where the dvd player comes in handy

Back