Will the Japanese release have English support?

Jamo

WiiChat Member
Nov 2, 2006
Japan
Just wondering if anybody knows if the Japanese release of Twilight Princess (or any other Wii game for that matter) is going to have the option to play in English?

Jamo said:
Just wondering if anybody knows if the Japanese release of Twilight Princess (or any other Wii game for that matter) is going to have the option to play in English?

If the English version doesnt have a language support of any kind then I doubt it? (Thats not a "if" as in to say I dont know, because from the sounds of it, the English version doesnt have language support)
Mind if I ask what your situation is? i.e are you currently staying/living in Japan but are not Japanese by nationality or ethnic origin?

Just curious as to why your location says "Japan" (unless its a joke/for the sake of it) but your asking about English support. I would have thought you would be fluent in Japense... or maybe you just cant read the langauge?

Last edited:
I'm currently living in Japan, but a long way from Japanese fluency.

Can't wait to get my hands on Zelda - but I don't want to miss out on the plot. Since the Wii's going to be region locked I might end up having to import a U.S console if I want to play it..

Jamo said:
I'm currently living in Japan, but a long way from Japanese fluency.

Can't wait to get my hands on Zelda - but I don't want to miss out on the plot. Since the Wii's going to be region locked I might end up having to import a U.S console if I want to play it..

Not asking your reasons why, but just how long have you been there so far? I personaly would try to learn the language, even partial basic/fundamental parts, before actually going to stay/live there.

Im just glad that I can get it straight when it comes and how it comes, which sadly for me is Dec 8th, whereas I understand for others they get it 2 weeks earlier I think.

KaDee said:
Not asking your reasons why, but just how long have you been there so far? I personaly would try to learn the language, even partial basic/fundamental parts, before actually going to stay/live there.

Been here a couple of years, I understand the basics - but not enough to play an RPG. I could probably figure out most things but I'd miss out on a lot of incidental detail and the little hints to secrets that you get by talking to people - that kind of thing.

Jamo said:

I dont know I am not japanese. (JK)

Japanese is not easy...

KaDee said:

Im just glad that I can get it straight when it comes and how it comes, which sadly for me is Dec 8th, whereas I understand for others they get it 2 weeks earlier I think.

Well,I am in a very similar situation...Im a foreign living in Japan,and my Japanese is not bad,but in order to be able to know just whats going on in a RPG game in Japanese,you need to have studies an average of 4 hours for the last 4 years,just to grasp the basics in written japanese.:mad2:
So dont be so patronising...

caleb said:
Well,I am in a very similar situation...Im a foreign living in Japan,and my Japanese is not bad,but in order to be able to know just whats going on in a RPG game in Japanese,you need to have studies an average of 4 hours for the last 4 years,just to grasp the basics in written japanese.:mad2:
So dont be so patronising...

You misunderstood my post, and if you look around the Zelda board you will see I'm the sort of person who stands up for those who are patronised. I merely stated that before going to a foreign country to live, I would consider going about learning how to speak and write in their language to a certain extent beforehand, reason being you never know when communication and understanding can be affected in emergencies.

The trouble is everyday conversation with Japanese people generally doesn't involve being sent to retrieve master swords, whack forest monsters in the tail 3 times to weaken them before using your bombs to finish them off, or slipping into the dark realm to retrieve hidden objects.

And if anyone's still interested in the original question, the answer is probably not - although apparently the Japanese used in Wind Waker was quite simple.

Jamo said:
The trouble is everyday conversation with Japanese people generally doesn't involve being sent to retrieve master swords, whack forest monsters in the tail 3 times to weaken them before using your bombs to finish them off, or slipping into the dark realm to retrieve hidden objects.

And if anyone's still interested in the original question, the answer is probably not - although apparently the Japanese used in Wind Waker was quite simple.

lol true, but I assume this is not the 1st Zelda game you've played (assuming you've played it), and you probably watch Jap anime (my personal assumption), so I would of thought you would have tried to prepare your self more to become apart of the Japanese lively hood. Dont get me wrong, I'm not saying I expected you to learn the langauge fluently over night, my original post on this matter was my own personal opinion remember, which was that before actually going to live in another country, I would try equip myself with suitable knowledge.

KaDee said:
so I would of thought you would have tried to prepare your self more to become apart of the Japanese lively hood.

How about I work on my Japanese, and you keep practising your English?
I can't even work out what you're trying to say here.

Jamo said:
How about I work on my Japanese, and you keep practising your English?
I can't even work out what you're trying to say here.

Why are you taking this to a level it doesnt need to go? I wasn't being rude to you in the 1st place, but now your trying to ridicule me, what for?

What I meant was, before going to live in Japan, I would work on my Japanese language and such so once arriving their, I can fit in alot easier with the customs and their way of life. However I was mainly getting at being able to watch TV shows their and of course, from you making this topic, playing the games in their ogirinal language. As well as being able to communicate with local people in general and/or incase of emergency.

Hey Jamo

I'm in much the same situation as you. I live in Japan and haven't yet mastered the language and feel much the same way about spending money on games like Zelda if they don't have any English language support.

Ive found it hard to find a straight answer on this topic, however by the research I've done, I doubt any of the actual games have built in English support. What i want to really know is if the actual Japanese Wii console has English support. I haven't yet found an answer to this.

The Japanese wii launched about a week ago and I'm really keen to get one, however id rather import one if it doesn't have English language support. So I would really like a straight answer if anyone knows.

fEz said:
What i want to really know is if the actual Japanese Wii console has English support.

I've heard that it doesn't support English, the interface is in Japanese only.

As for Zelda, other games in the series apparently contained relatively easy Japanese (not so many kanji), so I'm gonna give it a shot. Might take me a while to finish, but hey, what can you do?

Let us know how you get on with importing - I guess the U.S. console would work fine on a Japanese TV?

thread has kind of died, but I'm a foreigner living in Japan as well and I just picked up a Japanese Wii. Based on my average knowledge of Japanese, I'm pretty sure the console itself only supports Japanese menus. I'm quite surprised at this considering the DS is multi language. But knowing the modification gaming world, I'm sure they will come out with a way to flash firmware or something in the future.

I have been reading that Datel is working on a freeloader disc for the Wii, so they can play games from all regions, so eventually region coding won't be a major issue.

Also, I'm interested in getting Zelda myself, but don't want to play it with an open Japanese/English dictionary for all the technical magical language or slang. Ive been reading that you can play games by Nintendo on all Wii systems, regardless of region. But only games made BY Nintendo like Wii Sports or Zelda, their own branded games. I could be wrong, will read more on it in the morning. However, if its true, then there are quite a few places in Akihabara that sell US import video games. I'm sure you could find a copy of the US Zelda there.

Anyways hope this helps

Back