Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Will the power of the PS3 & 360 out last the Wii ?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii Chat' started by Macmutt, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Macmutt

Macmutt WiiChat Member

Please say it ain't so...but unfortunately i've heard it from one or more magazines and tv shows and websites that the pure hardware and graphical horse power of the other two consoles will continue on for 5 or more years and progress in graphics, speed, and framerate as the dev kits are mastered by developers.
    However they say the Wii will reach it's graphical limits in about 1 or 2 years time and by then the, what they call "gimmicky" control scheme will have worn off and the Wii will go the way of the gamecube.
    I hope to god none of that is true, i'm hoping that the Wii's already huge install base will be the deciding factor this time and it will inspire all developers to create games in a more innovative way so as to utilize, encourage and make the new controller the future preference of all gamers.
    I just hope the Wii not only lasts as long as the others but even longer with the more impressive and innovative game library.

2. ericlewis91

ericlewis91 im McLovin

Wii Friend Code: 6031-8713-1077-8188
    6031-8713-1077-8188
    k..please SEARCH..there is aleast 5+ posts about this! uh u people make me mad

3. Jenslin

Jenslin WiiChat Member

Wii Friend Code: 6891-3023-1981-2249
    6891-3023-1981-2249
    The Wii will last just as long since as the months go on, the Wiis will hopefully be in stock more, it is the cheapest of them all, it is meant for all ages (unlike the rest), and the control system is nothing like the PS3 and XBox.

4. Shoko

Shoko The Shoke

Wii Friend Code: 5295-8320-2788-9441
    5295-8320-2788-9441
    the power of a system means nothing. it depends on which system will have more sells, which is most likely the Wii. The ps3s power is its own downfall. the 360 is just fine though. its powerful, but affordable

5. Extra Life Mushroom

Extra Life Mushroom Just That Great

Wii Friend Code: 3210-5733-2914-1432
    3210-5733-2914-1432
    As long as the games are fun, they will sell. and I've played all 3 and I think the wii is by for the best for entertainment, 360 for online multiplayer, ps3 for graphics and sound. But remember what gaming is all about in the first place..FUN.

And besides which the ps1 wasn't anything terribly special. I mean c'mon it had its head handed to it when it crunched numbers against the Saturn.

How did it win?

The sheer number of titles.

The interface was easy to use and there were enough games out that everyone could find something they liked.

The wii may very well follow the same path, since the games costs much less to develop and I'm sure there are many unique visions out there on how the wii's controls can be used to produce an interesting experience.

They may not make it to the number one spot this time around but they themselves did not expect the wii to take off as well as it has, and with that they are most likely hard at work on the wii's successor.

Sony and Microsoft are afraid of what the little white box could do to their fan base so they set their fan boys and journalists out to discredit the wii's success to nothing more than a flash in the pan gimmick that no one will remember in a few years.

I'm sure the people at nintendo have known they were the underdog from the beginning and have most likely planned accordingly to keep the system fresh. Ninty doesn't trash talk b/c they don't need to, they let their games speak for them.

Remember he old proverb: "Never threaten. It lets the other man know you're coming."

Don't count Nintendo out yet, or you may very well be surprised.

#5 Extra Life Mushroom, Jun 25, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2007
  6. paintba||er

paintba||er WiiChat Member

Mormonville, Utah XBL GamerTag: sheise PSNID: s
    Wii Friend Code: 8354-0173-2009-5422
    8354-0173-2009-5422
    Well, we can't predict what is going to happen this early, but I think that is probably what is going to happen.

7. zeon9881

zeon9881 Slowly drifting away

Wii Friend Code: 7428-8550-5786-2492
    7428-8550-5786-2492
    omg tha

it will last.......thats it.....it just will ok

8. mushroomedmario

mushroomedmario ssb4life

Wii Friend Code: 5701-4561-7633-7008
    5701-4561-7633-7008
    yeah sega, capcom and namco are showing more support for the wii, and it's just not because it's cheaper to develop, but because right now the wii looks like it's going to have more sales by the end of next year and developers want to ride the wii to moneysville

9. dakuda

dakuda WiiChat Member

Wii Friend Code: 0000-0000-0000-0000
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    You let things like this anger you?:mad5:

10. callme.nasty

callme.nasty Account Suspended

the wii will be the same as the gamecube. its fun for now, but it won't last. obviously it'll have to rely on fun games. even in this case though, there can't possibly be enough good games for the wii to last as long as the 360 or ps3... every year will be a new generation of graphics for the 360 and ps3, and will keep people interested.

11. Limbo

Limbo God Among Rabbids

While I enjoy the Wiimote and the general control scheme of the Wii, the only thing that keeps me playing my Wii are the games. As games like Twilight Princess, Super Paper Mario, and Super Smash Brothers are only available on Nintendo's Wii, I'm more or less stuck with the console, as I love all of these franchises.

As much as I regret to admit it, in my opinion, the Wiimote is a bit of a gimmick. In my eyes, Nintendo's only advantage over other consoles is the huge amount of game franchises and their memorable characters (Mario, Link, Samus, Donkey Kong, etc).

12. cannon

cannon Nintendo FanBoy

Wii Friend Code: 2011-9992-2025-2233
    2011-9992-2025-2233
  13. Trulen

Trulen Isn't here as much

Wii Friend Code: 1234-1234-1234-1234
    1234-1234-1234-1234
    Well, the average person (Like me) reads stuff on Wiichat all the time.

People post views saying the wii will last, and people post views on how it will go the way of the gamecube (Fun, but blast it. Not enough good games on it.)

Both sides have become very convincing, and the average person's best bet to see who's right is to flip a coin.

In other words.... Let that 5 years roll around. Then we'll see how things are going.

I myself will have Brawl. And will be beyond content if the online mode is created successfully.

14. ally_uk

ally_uk WiiChat Member

Look at the direction the Wii is heading in it's topping sales worldwide and what do lot's of sales mean?

Third Party Developers begin to take note :)

I can see a hell of alot of quality games coming Nintendos way and even more interest from the big boys such as Rockstar and Square.

Hell even if Nintendo do flop in two years time which I can't see it myself the amount of money they would of gained from the Wii would set them up perfectly for the Nintendo Wii 2

15. Sovieto

Sovieto Banned

i like some of the posts here, pretty good
    and this has been discussed before though
    the question is basically, will the wii prove itself that it is next gen? it seems to be riding off the cheapness of last gen prices to carry itself, much like how the ps2 is still doing great, but the ps2 will die within 2 years or so when people start wanting the ps3, when all the consoles have had price drops, and the the next gen isnt all so expensive as it is at the moment, sure the wii will be cheaper too, but a lot of people are just buying it because its the only one they know they can afford out of the next gen systems at the moment. only time will tell is the answer to this debate though, its the only answer.

16. Shiftfallout

Shiftfallout shiftfallout.com

thats interesting, care to tell me how you figured that out? Just recently sega was critising the wii and praising the ps3.

heres a snipit

"I am a little concerned about the creative depth of the Wii pool" said Scott Steinberg, VP of marketing for Sega's US division. "I'm not sure if they will top out in 2008 or 2007. The Wii will start to look really dated in a couple years when developers get more value from the 360 and learn more and more about the PlayStation 3."

Namco has pretty much always been pro sony since the nintendo incident splitting sony and nintendo back in the day. They are using the PS3 Cell cpu now to power their next wave of arcade games.

Capcom is loyal really only to capcom, you fill find their bigger titles more aimed at the non wii platform where as the wii will have some of their other projects.

#16 Shiftfallout, Jun 26, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2007
  17. Haywire

Haywire WiiChat Member

Their was thread that linked to some Japanese info site saying that Namco-Bandai and Sega were shifting their focus to the Wii. Personally I doubt its credibility with Sega's recent outspoken comments it does not seem logical but their have been rumors specualting that Namco-Bandai would focus more on multiplatform releases for a while now. Its no secret that several companies are starting casual games divisions and maybe that is the ultimate source of the story.

I don't even recall Capcom being mentioned in the article but since some of it was non translated and in Kanji I could be wrong but with their large success of Dead Rising and Lost Planet and new commitment of making their titles multiplatform I hardly doubt they would mainly focus on the wii.

18. Shiftfallout

Shiftfallout shiftfallout.com

also with the rising cost of game developement, the age of exclusives is slowly dwindling due to the fact that multiplatforming usually brings in more profit, though often at the expense of the quality of games.

But you are right in that the console market is becoming a breeding ground for the ultra casual gamers, some often refer to this as the dumbing down of games. Which is partially true, and sadly there is a larger portion of dumbed down gamers who like those dumbed down games as compared to the non-casual market, meaning a lot of titles are being lost to the PC market.

For example, microsoft bought out digital anvil when all digital anvil was trying to do was get a publisher, then it quickly forced them to alter a few of their PC titles so it would be xbox exclusives, then sold the rights for other projects to ubisoft for working on the consoles, then after all that dismantled the company. Microsoft is vicious in how they opperate, buy out and destroy. A lot of good PC games will never see the light of day, or if they do they will be altered for the casual gamer on the console platform. This is why we probably wont see another great game like Freelancer again.

Similar things happened at interplay where they all but destroyed Black Isle, famous for their Baldurs Gate series of RPGs. Probably the most amazing RPG to ever be created, aslo they are known for Fallout 1 and 2. Best sci fi rpg ever to be made, Bethesda (of Elderscroll Fame) is making Fallout3, and a fallout mmorpg is also in the works. (talked with the director if interplay, a bit trying to get a movie deal going, thats also in the works). But the point of this is that interplay fired all of the black isle staff and replaced them with console developers who made some creally crappy console only titles using the Baldurs Gate name, even though it was nothing more than a hack n slash. Even SOE's psp rpg was more detailed than that.

Same can be said when comparing the move from Morrowind to Oblivion. The sequel, Oblivion, was so much more simplified, dumbed down than Morrowind, it was sick. This was done for mass console appeal while sacrificing what made Morrowind great.

So there is money to be made in the casual gamer side of consoles, lets just hope it doesnt drown us though or else the games we get will be crap compared to what they [STRIKE]could[/STRIKE] should be.