Will The PS3 Succeed in Europe?

ottoman

Banned
Dec 2, 2006
London
Wii Online Code
1156-6661-4692-6561
Well we all know that the PS3 failed terribly in USA and Japan. (Face it, its a fact)

But will it redeem itself in Europe? Personally, i dont think so. Its recieving bad reviews and criticism from all directions. 90% of people i have spoken to do not want a PS3.

I dont want a fanboy response like "PS3 Rules, were gonna kill wii and 360! we rocked in Japan and USA!!! We will do it again in Europe!!!"

Becuase you didnt rock....anywhere, and it doesnt look like you ever will. So dont be an idiot and post what you WANT to happen. Post what you really think will happen.

Personally, i think its too late to catch up with the Wii and 360...

360: 10,802,720
Wii:5,135,157
PS3:1,640,811

The Wii has sold almost half of what 360 have, in a matter of 4 months...

So theres my opinion...whats yours?

I think itll do about the same as USA but not much more, most people ive heard from dont like the Price of the Ps3 over there. Another thing is that people over there have been more influenced by the Xbox360 and the Wii while Sony delayed the Ps3. Alot of people would of bought the xbox360 or wii (or both since they = best combo). Face it, you can buy both of them for price of Ps3 and get alot more fun out of the cash.

But we will see.

Its true, european gamers might be frustrated over the delay. Plus, maybe they couldnt wait a few extra months and picked up a 360/Wii during the long hard wait.

Well considering the backwards compatability issues of the european ps3, I doubt it will do better than the USA launch, but there is a large sony following in the UK so I may be wrong

MasterChief said:
Well, yes, I believe it will. Playstation is to Europe as banana's are to monkeys.

Maybe last time...its different now. People over here arent interested anymore. It will do well in the first week...but then as word goes around people will just stop buying. Just like America and Japan. Hype can sell your console, but it cant make you money :lol:

Europe has a epic history of getting screwed over by the game industry. I remember them getting games 2 years later than the US! I don't think they'll be any more excited than the US about the PS3 launch. The price is a party killer for anyone with regular pockets.

I don't know so I'll wait and see. People in the US thought the PS3 was going to sell like hotcakes despite the price but that wasn't the case. I'm American, not European.

I think there are a lot of what you would call "sony fanboys" in the UK. Everyone I know had a PS2 - and there are a lot of dumb people in this country who will buy a PS3 for this very reason. The first batch of PS3s will sell pretty quick I think. Whether sales continue after the first few weeks/months we will have to wait and see...
As for the rest of Europe I can only speculate.

I think PS3 will do pretty bad over here tbh.

People aren't interested because there seems to be problem after problem with it. By this I mean first the price was given out, that was a no way for ALOT of people. Then there's the whole not being able to play some of the ps1 + 2 games. Now there's the whole thing about the ammount of electricity it uses up.

Most non sony fan gamers know that they took the motion sentitive idea and the whole 'ps home' thing away from nintendo..so they wan't the Real McCoy.. not some copied version of it.

Personally I think only big sony fans who's been saving up for this and rich mamis boys will be able to afford this one.

So nah..I don't think it will be that big..compared to the wii and 360 anywho.

I think the PS3 has a couple of problems:

1) the price: most of the people who use the gamemachine are around 20 years old. So 600€ for the console + 70€ for a game is a lot of money (rich brads not included)

2) The PS2 is still selling good (SOny keeps it selling so it can cover the PS3 losts and not forget the PSP), So why buying the PS3, if the PS2 has a lot of new games coming out and is much cheaper.

3) Here in Europe Sony has the fame getting the European version ALWAYS later, sometimes almost a year. like The PSP did, and now the PS3. People are getting tired of waiting and buy a DS or Wii/X360

4) I remeber when I bought for the PSP Formule 06, they said it had online function, but on the launchday (26th of july), they said that they removed the online function, So a lot of people bought it thinking of playing on the internet...... Real bummer for me.... This is almost the same with the PS3, they took the PS2 chip away, to reduce costs... result: not all the PS2 games will work!!!!

I saw the PS3 yesterday in Mediamarkt, and it rocks, really it does. But for 600€ I prefer buying a Wii, with a lot of games....

Oh I forgot: For the online gaming you will have to pay, just like the Xbox.... Hihihi For Wiiplayers it is free.... thx to the BIG "N"!!!!

Now I'm America but I have cousins in the UK and they always tell me how expensive stuff is over there so to be perfectly honest I do not think it will sell that well. Besides the price theres no backwards compatiblity in Europe right? That sucks (especially since God of War 2 is a such a sick game that if I did like Sony that might make me buy it despite the horrible price). In addition people over there have already heard about the its faults here in America and in other countries we can guess. SO I don't the overall opinion of Sony and the PS3 is great over there.

the ps3 is selling for £425 here (which at the moment is almost $850)

so it not doing so well in the US, maybe for the price, its cheaper for you guys and still its not doing well, so thats definately not a good sign for the UK anyway..

and i have spoken to some friends in GAME (a uk game seller) and they havent even 'sold out' on pre-orders yet. thats not a good sign for something that is relelased tomorrow...

i guess we can just wait and see, and i think the price will need to drop a fairbit for people to choose one over a 360, as its pretty much the same thing

It failed in japan and USA huh? lol ok what defines failed? Did it fail to make it in stores?

It didnt fail jack shiz. It DID however sell the least amount units of the three console systems so far. Thats not failing. Thats just selling less systems. Some of you might call it losing.

It will be the same in every continent as well. They will sell some units but not a lot. Price and lack of strong launch games keep people from buying the PS3.

Back