Will US Wii work online in the UK?

Kane1345

WiiChat Member
Sep 14, 2006
Hey guys,

I was going to order the US version since the UK has been ripped off again and plus I will be able to get games earlier and cheaper :lol: I was just about to order and then the thought came to me. Can I play online from here in the UK with an American console? Would it try to find US servers only or prevent me from playing against my friends here? If anyone has any idea I would be real greatful! I wanna get the pre order done asap.

That's a good point, and probably something we wont know about until the consoles are laucnhed.

It may be possible to specify a server in the connection settings, but i doubt anyone knows for sure.

What are the options for Xbox Live for example?

on xbox live u can edit IP addresses and DNS servers and stuff which I THINK would make a difference. Then again I have 3 live accounts, one for each region and when I log onto my American account it logs straight onto American servers and downloads demos not available in PAL territories.

Maybe if i muck around with my american account I can log onto UK servers but then again we have no idea what kind of network settings interface the Wii has. We can only hope!

Well that would make sense if you buy an American console and the online play would work. Pretty smart thinking you've got there.... Man personally without the free online play and wiiconnect24 i would not buy a Wii and would buy a 360 instead.

my mate wrote this to me just know see what you think?

"i seriously doubt they will be the odd ones out, its already confirmed 480p progressive scan to keep up in the HD area, its got a 90% chance of being worldwide because all games will support 60HZ, thats the only reason the ps2 was europe only, coz devs didnt make all games 60hz till recently"

Icetrash said:
Well that would make sense if you buy an American console and the online play would work. Pretty smart thinking you've got there.... Man personally without the free online play and wiiconnect24 i would not buy a Wii and would buy a 360 instead.

what i was saying is that I might have problems using an american console to play my mates in the UK. The PS2 had region locking in online play so if the Wii does to, then its possible i wont be able to play any PAL people. Since we dont know alot about the Wii online service yet, everything is up to speculation and online could be region locked as well.

Do u think u will be able to vs others in different countries? I mean can i verse you americans from australia?

I would think that it would work, it might just be a little slow online. It would be just like connecting to a web site on your computer that uses US servers. And that's only if it does try to connect to the US. If nothing else, you could do without the onling, then sell it and trade for a UK version when they are released.

registerednerd said:
I would think that it would work, it might just be a little slow online. It would be just like connecting to a web site on your computer that uses US servers. And that's only if it does try to connect to the US. If nothing else, you could do without the onling, then sell it and trade for a UK version when they are released.

Thats the thing I dont really want to trade it for a crappy PAL machine. The whole point of getting a US one is to get the games when you guys do and to get them cheaper hehe. Well all we can do is wait but the Nintendo UK boss said in an interview in IGN that online would be region specific. So I will see when I boot it up and try to play my friends!

Back