Will we be able to use AIM on the web browser?

Let's not forget that the Wii channels are infinitely expandable so who knows what we will see in the future. I am just begging.. PLEASE Nintendo... PLEASE, do the online gaming part of the Wii right. Don't screw this up.

aim express based off opera? I can't even begin to comprehend what tha tis suppose to mean lol. Opera is a browser based of Mozilla.

Aim Express is a aim java applet.

If the live Mandriva desktop whether it be gnome or KDE has an aim client on it, then it should work.

vagrant said:
aim express based off opera? I can't even begin to comprehend what tha tis suppose to mean lol. Opera is a browser based of Mozilla.

Aim Express is a aim java applet.

If the live Mandriva desktop whether it be gnome or KDE has an aim client on it, then it should work.

Actually mozilla and firefox are the same company and they somehow mysteriously get new technologies a couple days after the new opera comes out.

mariowii said:
Actually mozilla and firefox are the same company and they somehow mysteriously get new technologies a couple days after the new opera comes out.

Yes, obviously firefox is mozilla. Noone was talking about firefox. And mozilla doesn't take anything from opera, so you are just silly.

i'm not gonna speculate as to what it can or can't do but imagine how f'n awesome it'd be watchin youtube vids on a big screen tv!!!!

Let's clear this up. Opera are nothing to do with Mozilla.

Opera are a Norwegian based software house. They have a little over £20M active users. There browser was always streets ahead of Microshaft's Internet Exploder and they were the first to offer tabbed browsing and a whole load of browser functionality that now appear in Firefox and IE.

The Opera browser scheduled for the Wii is not the same as the latest Opera on a PC. It's called 'Opera 9 for devices'. Designed for things like Portable Media players, set top boxes and similar. There's a strong chance that we may end up with a cut down and limited browsing experience.

O9FD is optimized to run fast in constrained environments, and it maintains a small code base, making it ideal for devices aiming for a high quality user experience.

I think that the reason Nintendo chose Opera is that their browser can do content formatting on the fly. This is critical for a game console as evrybody will be using different screens - different sizes, different resolutions.

"Opera's Extensible Rendering Architecture (ERA) delicately squeezes content to fit the screen regardless of its dimensions, eliminating the need for horizontal scrolling. Opera’s ERA and TV rendering (TVR) can optimize the Web experience for any size screen"

"Opera's spatial navigation makes it easy to navigate on platforms that don't have a mouse. By pressing a directional button on the remote (or in our case pointing the Wii at a navigation arrow) Opera navigates in the most logical links.

Just keep your fingers crossed guys!...........

Last edited:
Back