Will we get to keep our VC games when the next Nintendo console comes out?

Backwards Man

WiiChat Member
Dec 9, 2006
Will we? How will they transfer to the new Nintendo console when it comes out? It would suck if we buy them and they can't be transfered to the next Nintendo console.

I doubt Nintendo would let us do that... It would keep customers loyal,
but nintendo is just greedy enough to make us redownload everything we still want.

well you're probably agreeing to a license of the software.. not ownership... worst case is that you'll have to keep your wii to play them...

it's likely the VC and WiiWare will be quite the same and possibly be accessible in the next gen as the services evolve. :yesnod:

Well, you probably won't have to worry about that for another 5 years, but if you invest in a SD card you might be able to save the games.

You Wii won't spontaneously combust when the new Nintendo console comes out so yes you will be able to keep your VC games. No telling if you can transfer games to the new console or not. I imagine that's a question not even Nintendo knows the answer to yet.

We can all just hope that we can transfer the games to the new console. If not, there's no way I'd get rid of my Wii. I think I put a little too much money into mine.

2muchVCs said:
We can all just hope that we can transfer the games to the new console. If not, there's no way I'd get rid of my Wii. I think I put a little too much money into mine.

It seems silly that we couldn't have it all on one system. I don't want two consoles sitting in my entertainment unit. I want one...minimal space.

It would be like keeping your gamecube if the wii didn't play gamecube games. You would have keep your gamecube, but we would all prefer th Wii played them all.

Wait a minute...when is the new Wii console expected to arrive? Is there any info about it? What will be the improvements?

Nintendo are planning on a 5 year to 6 year product productions for the Wii which means we probs wont see the next nintendo console until around 2012 - 2013

d.vader said:
Wait a minute...when is the new Wii console expected to arrive? Is there any info about it? What will be the improvements?

There really isn't any info yet. It'll probably be a few more years before rumors start appearing.

The answer is yes! They mentioned it at E3 when they first showed off VC. Judging by the current rate of VC releases the next console will continue to release VC where Wii left off.

The bigger question is... Do we wait 5 years, or 15 years to get all our VC games? Do we have to download the other 75% on a new console, or will they get them all out before then?

That is a very valid point sagema, tbh i would like to see the Wii bring out at least 65% of the Vc liberary before moving them onto another console or maybe the new console could up date old games and rerelease them (crazy therory)

sagema said:
The answer is yes! They mentioned it at E3 when they first showed off VC. Judging by the current rate of VC releases the next console will continue to release VC where Wii left off.

The bigger question is... Do we wait 5 years, or 15 years to get all our VC games? Do we have to download the other 75% on a new console, or will they get them all out before then?

Great news! I just wonder how they will transfer the games from the Wii to the new machine...

My question is, why are you thinking about a new machine already?

It's not going to happen for a long time. 5 years? That seems like such a short time for the Wii to be out for?

How long was the Gamecube out for before the Wii was released?

Just curious, but what about the PS2 before PS3? I heard that was the longest run before a new console.

d.vader said:
My question is, why are you thinking about a new machine already?

It's not going to happen for a long time. 5 years? That seems like such a short time for the Wii to be out for?

How long was the Gamecube out for before the Wii was released?

Just curious, but what about the PS2 before PS3? I heard that was the longest run before a new console.

6 years between them, which was roughly about the same length of time as between the NES and the SNES.

As for the Gamecube, that came out 5 years before the Wii. If we assume it'll be the same amount of time until the next Ninty console, we should be waiting for about 4 years yet.

And it's a perfectly valid worry, I don't like the idea that in 5 years in the future I'm going to have to drag out my Wii from the cupboard every time I want to play VC games.

Back