will wii be devoid of hardcore gameplay?

::|wolf|::

Banned
Jul 10, 2007
Nobody was expecting hardcore online shooters to be a forte of the wii, but still with most of the games being short, arcade style and 'casual' is there any hope of a hardcore fix on the wii? The online, in my opinion, has failed, in that it will funtion in the same way that the ds online does, with friend codes. Just because nintendo wants children to be 'safe' why does it have to do this to all of us? Why not just include another parental control? With xbox live to compete with the wii doesn't have a chance online. I'm still happy with the purchase of my wii, because it does what it does well, but is there any hope for solid online gameplay or games that aren't becoming increasingly 'casual'?

They're about to come, maybe not this year, but somewhen when even the casual gamers had enough of all that casual games. Ubisoft is on a casual games trip, EA... well they're on a port trip like always. PS2->Wii. Bad... But as you probably know, Red Steel 2 is in development and it could really be a blast. Red Steel could have been far better than it was. In fact, Red Steel was the very first Wii game announced, but in the end it was a bit buggy and not that impressive.
But Ubi probably learned from this, Red Steel 2 is going to become better and will probably feature online modes ( remember the search for programmers with online gaming knowledge on the Ubiwebsite?)
Super Smash Brothers Brawl IS a hardcore game. No doubt. Even though it might look childish, the battles can be imense. As you probably know aswell, there are already Clans rising from the dust. BWii is a Multiplayer focussed game aswell.

But you're right, the Wii Online Mode won't be any competition to Xbox Live. But Wii Online doesn't cost a nut.

Very true.... we all look forward to SSBB. Red steel 2? I didn't even know it was in development... it was good, BUT the sword play was terrible. Everybody expected wonderful free form sword fighting instead it was just slash block slash dodge block. Will red steel 2 break this mold? Is the wiimote even sensitive enough to be able to articulate advanced sword play? I certainly hope so... online sword battles in red steel as well as the main fps would be AMAZING. You've given me hope.

I really want an online shooter, hunters wasnt as good as other shooters (wi-fi way) hopefully red steel could be a mini halo?

I doubt anything on a nintendo system would even want to compete with halo. Nintendo has even made moves to make sure that metroid prime is not compared to halo (ie it has no online). Red steel 2 could be good but nothing can have online as good as halo's without voice chat... which we will probably never see on the wii and if we do it will be with dreaded friend codes. Metroid prime hunters is probably Nintendo's best effort at online gaming, it gave people with each others friend codes lobbies and voice chat, but even then... it was limited to "friends".

i wasnt saying compete with halo, i just want an online shooter, with clans and guns and all those bells and whistles. i enjoy halo (dont have live tho)

bigwilliiy said:
i wasnt saying compete with halo, i just want an online shooter, with clans and guns and all those bells and whistles. i enjoy halo (dont have live tho)

Clans on any game console are Lame. Especially Halo and 360 clans. Unless they are made up of people you know in real life they are pretty pointless.

And that is more of a PC thing.

vagrant said:
Hardcore shooters belong on the PC where they originated.

No! They should belong on the Wii... The wiimote should blow everything out of the water control wise for FPS's even the mouse and keyboard, barely. Graphics dont matter ( I still play CS 1.5 sometimes) as much as controls for FPS's.

As far as control for first person shooters goes, the wii gives a surprisingly realistic feel perhaps? One doesn't feel nearly as in control when playing a shooter on the wii as one might on pc, but should you feel completely in control. Shouldn't it be a little chaotic? When playing shooters on the wii i feel more immersed but less in control.

matguy87 said:
No! They should belong on the Wii... The wiimote should blow everything out of the water control wise for FPS's even the mouse and keyboard, barely. Graphics dont matter ( I still play CS 1.5 sometimes) as much as controls for FPS's.

Are you joking? The mouse and keyboard still by far allow more the fastest response and quickest turning.

vagrant said:
Are you joking? The mouse and keyboard still by far allow more the fastest response and quickest turning.
Agreed. The Wiimote is essentially a low resolution mouse where the mousepad is your television. It takes a lot less energy to move a mouse than to swing your arm all over the place.

vagrant said:

Nope not at all... While playing RE4 I barely have to move my hand to aim at targets across the screen and it is extremely fast and responsive... its also very accurate too. Shooting with the wiimote with a ton of targets is easy and is a lot more gratifying ( maybe its just RE4) than when I play with a FPSs with a mouse.

You got me on the turning though. For MPC the screen moves faster and faster the closer your courser gets to the edge... seems like it could work well but I'll have to wait and see.

Back