Win me over. ;)

PtonJalken

Ptowwnaagee!
Dec 25, 2006
Canada
Wii Online Code
7740-5070-1158-5119
Well, i doubt anyone would of suspected this.. but im actually considering a Ps3.

Reasons(and questions) are..

**HARDWARE_______

I was thinking about a xbox, but id have to go get a wireless adapter anyways.. The ps3 comes with one doesnt it? (I will have wireless since itll be in my room and our modem/router is downstairs).

If my wired netspeed is around 1040kbps (NOT download speed) and ping anywhere from 40-130 in North America, would i get a non-laggy wireless experience if i got my Ps3 online?

Whats the Warranty?

**GAMES____

I like FPS alot, main reason i was considering a Xbox at first. Im wondering if the Ps3 has any good FPS (i know of Resistance). I also like stuff like FF and NG so that should be ok.

**ONLINE___

Has "HOME" came out yet? that was one of the more interesting things i heard about.

Does the online cost anything? Is it good? (Are there headsets like xbox?)

**PACKAGE___

What all does the Ps3 come with? is there anything extra i would have to buy? Because im geussing itll be about $659 ($750 with taxes and such) When i buy it (in Canada). 60gig version of course.

***TV____

Im sure the Ps3 supports all resolutions and HDMI right? Ill probably end up buying a 25-35" HDMI support TV sometime down this summer. (My room is hella small, anymore and my neck would break. :p )

If i buy a TV, around what MS should i get it to play games without seeing blurr? And is the Ps3 alright looking on a SDTV untill i get a HDTV?

I get my paycheck Thursday, which will put me over the ammount needed for a Ps3. (just barely.., hey - its partime ^^ )

Oh, and why are they 100$ more expensive then USA? Currency is almost in par now. :/

So win me over... *Looks at Shift/Gamer/Wii&Ps3*

Oh.. and is there any pricedrops coming VERY soon? :p

Oh, and everyone. - please no flaming Wii/Xbox/Ps3.. like always i still dont like that. :p

O boy. ^^

Last edited:
Alright, I'll answer some of your questions.

Hardware: Yes, the 60GB PlayStation 3 has built in WiFi, so you can have wireless internet.

The warranty is about $60 for one year, I believe.

Games: Resistance is a bit overrated in my opinion, but that's just me. Most people love it, so there's a good chance that you will too.

Right now, the only games that are considered to be very good are Resistance: Fall of Man, Motorstorm, The Darkness, Virtua Fighter 5, Oblivion, and Ninja Gaiden Sigma. Out of those, Motorstorm is my favorite, and I'm not even a huge racing fan.

There's not any must-have games out right now, but they're coming soon enough.

Online: Yes, it's free. Home isn't out yet, it should be later this year, though.

There are headsets, but they don't come with the PlayStation 3. I'll be getting a bluetooth headset, and I recomend you do the same. From what I've heard, if you buy the retail version of Warhawk, you'll get a free bluetooth headset. That's what I'll be doing if that's true.

Package: From what I remember, it comes with one controller, and all of the basic stuff. It doesn't come with component or HDMI cables, so you'll have to buy those separately.

TV: Yes, it supports up to 1080i I believe, could be wrong though. Obviously, the PS3 looks better on a HDTV, but it looks plenty good on a SDTV as well.

My guess is, you'll need around $700-750. For the system, a game or two, and possibly other accessories. I'd say you need at least that much, it just depends on how many things you want to buy.

Hope this helps.

wow, haven't seen you in a long while.....and considering a ps3.

who are you and where is ptonjalken?

Brawny said:
wow, haven't seen you in a long while.....and considering a ps3.

who are you and where is ptonjalken?

Eh my minds off for vacation for the summer and my body is working. So most of my summer funds will probably go into a Ps3(for now, unless something changes my mind) + a tv. lol.

Im around, i just dont post as much nowadays. Gotta get outta the "read and no reply" habit. :p

(And thanks toXic for info.)

How much do HDMI cables for the ps3 cost? Is there HDMI cables made FOR the ps3? If i get a HDTV i definitly gotta have HDMI lol

PtonJalken said:
Eh my minds off for vacation for the summer and my body is working. So most of my summer funds will probably go into a Ps3(for now, unless something changes my mind) + a tv. lol.

Im around, i just dont post as much nowadays. Gotta get outta the "read and no reply" habit. :p

(And thanks toXic for info.)

How much do HDMI cables for the ps3 cost? Is there HDMI cables made FOR the ps3? If i get a HDTV i definitly gotta have HDMI lol

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=802523

I'm almost positive that I've seen them for cheaper at places such as Circuit City, though.

The Ps3 has built in Wireless, i know you can get Hdmi cables in America for anything as cheap as $5. It plays all you Ps2 and Ps1 games and also upscales them too a full 1080p resolution if your Tv supports it. It comes with your basic stuff, composite cables, 1 controllers, an internet lead and your power cable to plug into the wall. It also upscales Dvds to 1080p for a better picture. The best games at the moment are Motor Storm, Resistance, Virtua tennis 4, Virtua fighter 5, Fight Night 3, Rainbow Six:Vegas(gr8 game) The Darkness, Formula 1 and Ninja Gaiden. Future exclusives include Lair, Haze, Kill Zone 2, Metal Gear Solid 4, War Hawk, Final Fantasy 13(Versus too), Gran Turismo 5, Kingdom Hearts 3 and Unreal Tournament 3. Theres also Gta4, Assasins Crees, MOH:Airborne assault and Call Of Duty:4. Play your music on it, also download Gran Turismo:HD for free off the network(Loads of free Demo's also), the internet is free and there is also things like games and extensions for games to buy online, some are free like Motor Storm timetrial. The new controller is great for Racing games and flying games but thats about it, their bringing rumble back to the controller which is stronger than the older Ps2 rumble with also touch sensitive things so they can vibrate certain points on the controller. Also it looks fantasic, never saw a nicer looking console. You get a 60gb hard drive but it takes 10 mins to take out the old 60gb and improve it with any 2.5" laptop hard drive. Highest ive saw is 250Gb which im planning on getting. The 360 will cost you a lot more to do most of the things the Ps3 can do.

Last edited:
TO PTON ~i just love your name xD
-------------------
ok ps3 is less expensive then a 360 cause ps3 comes with wi-fi online etc. in it while if you buy a 360 you will have to buy all these things for it such as a HD DVD drive , PAY ANNUALY for online ,

plus the ps3 has a cell processer , blue ray (50 times more space then a dvd and better quality)

-------------------------

FYI no im not flaming 360

The ps3 supports 1080p
www.monoprice.com for all the cables you will ever need. I got mine for $8 shipped or something like that. Dont fall for the "more expensive cables=better picture/sound", its not true.

As far as a tv goes, you will need to do do your own research. Theres too many options. I bought a samsung projection tv that supports 720p/1080i. 1080p tv's are too much money right now and will drop in price over the next year. Whatever tv you buy, make sure it supports 720p at a minimum. Most ps3 will support that and not 1080p. Ive always heard dlp is the best type of tv for gaming. I will be buying a mitsubishi projector and a 110" screen for my new home this year.

If you want the best warranty, buy your ps3 from sams club or costco. They have free lifetime warranties on anything in their store (besides computers). You could return your ps3 in 10 years and get all your money back. (no joke)

(btw i am wii&ps3, I lost my password, but when I retrieve it from my email it will not come through)

Last edited:
Since everything was said already, ill have to say that as a gamer, im very excited to see more people getting interested in the PS3.

I know how one console can limit the kind of games there are to choose from. With the PS console, i dont feel so limited. Ive seen everything from Elmo's Alphabet Land to GTA.

When, if, you do purchase a PS3, dont focus on the PS3 games. Look around at PS2 and PS1 as well.

zeon9881 said:
TO PTON ~i just love your name xD
-------------------
ok ps3 is less expensive then a 360 cause ps3 comes with wi-fi online etc. in it while if you buy a 360 you will have to buy all these things for it such as a HD DVD drive , PAY ANNUALY for online ,

plus the ps3 has a cell processer , blue ray (50 times more space then a dvd and better quality)

-------------------------

FYI no im not flaming 360

Hehe most people call me PtoN in my games. and thanks :)

---Brian--- said:
The Ps3 has built in Wireless, i know you can get Hdmi cables in America for anything as cheap as $5. It plays all you Ps2 and Ps1 games and also upscales them too a full 1080p resolution if your Tv supports it. It comes with your basic stuff, composite cables, 1 controllers, an internet lead and your power cable to plug into the wall. It also upscales Dvds to 1080p for a better picture. The best games at the moment are Motor Storm, Resistance, Virtua tennis 4, Virtua fighter 5, Fight Night 3, Rainbow Six:Vegas(gr8 game) The Darkness, Formula 1 and Ninja Gaiden. Future exclusives include Lair, Haze, Kill Zone 2, Metal Gear Solid 4, War Hawk, Final Fantasy 13(Versus too), Gran Turismo 5, Kingdom Hearts 3 and Unreal Tournament 3. Theres also Gta4, Assasins Crees, MOH:Airborne assault and Call Of Duty:4. Play your music on it, also download Gran Turismo:HD for free off the network(Loads of free Demo's also), the internet is free and there is also things like games and extensions for games to buy online, some are free like Motor Storm timetrial. The new controller is great for Racing games and flying games but thats about it, their bringing rumble back to the controller which is stronger than the older Ps2 rumble with also touch sensitive things so they can vibrate certain points on the controller. Also it looks fantasic, never saw a nicer looking console. You get a 60gb hard drive but it takes 10 mins to take out the old 60gb and improve it with any 2.5" laptop hard drive. Highest ive saw is 250Gb which im planning on getting. The 360 will cost you a lot more to do most of the things the Ps3 can do.

Does it void warranty when you install a different HD? And is it REALLY needed? Or is more then 60gb more for a media mongul?

billm00666 said:
The ps3 supports 1080p
www.monoprice.com for all the cables you will ever need. I got mine for $8 shipped or something like that. Dont fall for the "more expensive cables=better picture/sound", its not true.

As far as a tv goes, you will need to do do your own research. Theres too many options. I bought a samsung projection tv that supports 720p/1080i. 1080p tv's are too much money right now and will drop in price over the next year. Whatever tv you buy, make sure it supports 720p at a minimum. Most ps3 will support that and not 1080p. Ive always heard dlp is the best type of tv for gaming. I will be buying a mitsubishi projector and a 110" screen for my new home this year.

If you want the best warranty, buy your ps3 from sams club or costco. They have free lifetime warranties on anything in their store (besides computers). You could return your ps3 in 10 years and get all your money back. (no joke)

(btw i am wii&ps3, I lost my password, but when I retrieve it from my email it will not come through)

Hehe thanks. Does it scale them up to 1080i if you dont have 1080p? My budget wont let me get a 1080p, thats for sure :p

And i thought projectors gave less quality then TVs?
(And no hard feelings from before.)

GamerCon said:
Since everything was said already, ill have to say that as a gamer, im very excited to see more people getting interested in the PS3.

I know how one console can limit the kind of games there are to choose from. With the PS console, i dont feel so limited. Ive seen everything from Elmo's Alphabet Land to GTA.

When, if, you do purchase a PS3, dont focus on the PS3 games. Look around at PS2 and PS1 as well.

Well, i went from Anti-Sony, to "everythings cool", to Pro-Sony.. So i geuss anything is possible haha. I dunno, Ps3 just seems more 'fresh' then the Xbox360. I feel if i buy this ill have my money go another couple years longer (Since xbox360 has been out already 2 years and such.) This way i wont miss out on the peak of any game. ^^

But yeah, does anyone use Wireless on their Ps3? thats my only concern really.

And i think ill wait till after E3 to buy my Ps3, since theres the rumors going around for a Pricedrop..

So is there like a friends list or something on a Ps3?

Last edited:
PtonJalken said:
Does it void warranty when you install a different HD? And is it REALLY needed? Or is more then 60gb more for a media mongul?
No, it doesn't void the warranty and it isn't really needed unless you want a bunch of movies and music and stuff on it. Or if you want to install Linux on it.
But yeah, does anyone use Wireless on their Ps3? thats my only concern really.
I do, it works fine.
And i think ill wait till after E3 to buy my Ps3, since theres the rumors going around for a Pricedrop..
I got mine new off eBay for $500 and I didn't have to wait for the price drop.
So is there like a friends list or something on a Ps3?
Yes, but unfortunately it isn't unified like in Live.

paintba||er said:

No, it doesn't void the warranty and it isn't really needed unless you want a bunch of movies and music and stuff on it. Or if you want to install Linux on it.

I do, it works fine.

I got mine new off eBay for $500 and I didn't have to wait for the price drop.

Yes, but unfortunately it isn't unified like in Live.

What do you mean by unified? (I havnt really played much Xboxlive)

PtonJalken said:
What do you mean by unified? (I havnt really played much Xboxlive)
In Live you have one list of friends and they are your friends in all your games. But the PS3 has a list on the XMB and a list in each game. So if I add my friend in The Darkness then I'm going to have to add him again in Resistance and again in the XMB. Its not a huge deal, but it is slightly annoying.

Back