Windows Firewall + Orange Livebox = Trouble?

KaDee

Intellectual Visionary
Oct 16, 2006
Wii Online Code
6267-1290-5033-7224
Anyone have any problems with their windows firewall blocking Wii from connecting, EVEN THOUGH ITS BEEN GIVEN ACCESS?

I've been on and off the net numerous times since I got my Wii on release date, but now and again I have to uninstall then re-install the software because it just stops connecting.
I recently found out the windows firewall had a connection with my problem because when deactivated I can connect fine, then when switched on its more or less hit and miss/no-go.

Now I've got my Orange Livebox I'm wondering if im gonna have problems with that aswell because I caught a glimpse of someone mentioning they just managed to get their Wii connected with their Orange Livebox in the forum.

I think I know the answer to this, but it'll have to wait till I finish work.

I use Orange livebox, and Zone Alarm, I found after I locked the internet, came back, the connection dropped so I had to keep resetting it. It happened all the time. :mad5: I found a setting in Zone alarm to allow livebox to allow xxxx traffic through. Until I get home I can't tell you what that is!

miiguy said:
I think I know the answer to this, but it'll have to wait till I finish work.

I use Orange livebox, and Zone Alarm, I found after I locked the internet, came back, the connection dropped so I had to keep resetting it. It happened all the time. :mad5: I found a setting in Zone alarm to allow livebox to allow xxxx traffic through. Until I get home I can't tell you what that is!

Ok then, thanks for the quick response anyway.

KaDee said:
Ok then, thanks for the quick response anyway.

I think you need to go into your Windows Firewall settings and allow the DHCP links to go through. (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol).

Hope this helps.

miiguy said:
I think you need to go into your Windows Firewall settings and allow the DHCP links to go through. (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol).

Hope this helps.

It seems I can connect ok for some reason at the moment :wtf: I havnt disabled the firewall nor have I made any changes, but I note due to the needs of my new Livebox on the PC some of the settings have changed some in my firewall.
Also now I have the Orange Livebox instead of my old modem I can use that as an access point, but that needs more configuring, which Im gonna do later. So when the Wi-Fi decides to play up again I can just connect via my Livebox.

Thanks for the replies though, if the Wi-Fi adaptor does play up I will look into configuring the firewall to let through DHCP links.

Just the other night and today I have been configuring my Livebox to let me search and download on DC++, it was annoying because I had NO problems whatso-ever nor did I have to configure anything with my initial modem. Thankfully Its done and I'm back up and running on DC++

Updat: I can now connect via Wifi OR Livebox (I assume the livebox altered some rules to the firewall for it self, which in turn allows 100% wifi access), but once again thanks for the replies and help.

Last edited:
KaDee said:
Anyone have any problems with their windows firewall blocking Wii from connecting, EVEN THOUGH ITS BEEN GIVEN ACCESS?

I've been on and off the net numerous times since I got my Wii on release date, but now and again I have to uninstall then re-install the software because it just stops connecting.
I recently found out the windows firewall had a connection with my problem because when deactivated I can connect fine, then when switched on its more or less hit and miss/no-go.

Now I've got my Orange Livebox I'm wondering if im gonna have problems with that aswell because I caught a glimpse of someone mentioning they just managed to get their Wii connected with their Orange Livebox in the forum.
This is in no relation to the Wii but my girlfriend had an Orange LiveBox and she had nothing but trouble with it. She did get rid of it eventually. Ive never had any trouble with a firewall as regards to the Wii, and ive got 3 on the go. My McAfee, Windows and the Router firewalls are all going but ive had no interference. (YET)!

Back