Wired Internet Issue

MasterJedi2U

Banned
Jan 28, 2007
Durham, NC
Wii Online Code
5251-2094-6508-9892
Okay my family is using Bellsouth Internet according to my dad and the wired router/machine thats doing the Broadband stuff is a Westell. Now on the back panel it has a spot for DSL, USB, and Ethernet. The Ethernet and DSL ports are already occupied by lines. I know I need to get a Nintendo Wii LAN Adapter but my question is how do I set it up with this system if the Ethernet cable of the router is already going to the back of the modem? Or am I wrong in assuming that its an Ethernet cable that plugs into the other side of the Adapter?

Don't bother with a nintendo lan/wifi adapter. Just buy a cheaper wireless router instead. This is a much much smarter long term buy than a product that will only work with the nintendo.

EDIT: My reasoning is that the nintendo lan/wifi adapter are nearly the same cost as a cheap wifi router.

Well I would but I cant since my dad makes those decisions and he doesn't want to chane anything...Is there anyway to saolve this situation? And can an ethernet connection be split into 2 lines. Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

Well, it's a waste of cash in my opinion. You could spend cash for a wireless router that can service multiple clients or you can spend cash on something that can service one item.

You currently do not have a broadband router. Right now you have a DSL modem and it sounds like your dad's computer is hooked directly to it. In this setup, there is no other way to get your Wii online than to use the WiFi thing that allows your Wii to connect to the internet through your Dad's computer. This would then mandate that your Dad's computer be on at all times in order for your Wii to connect to the internet. In my opinion, this is a messy option.

The cleaner option is to get a wireless router, plug it's WAN port into the DSL modems Ethernet port. Connect your Dad's computer to one of the Ethernet ports on the router and then configure your Wii to connect to the wireless on the wireless router. This, for the money, is a far more "normal" setup and much more useful long term (think, if you or your dad got any other kind of wireless device like a laptop, phone or PDA).

EDIT: Yes, you can "split a lan cable" using a hub or switch. A wireless router will act as a switch.

Back