Wireless Connection Problem

Astro13

WiiChat Member
Nov 9, 2007
I have had my Wii online through my wireless internet for about 4 months now and everything has been working fine. But last week when I play Madden 08 online every single game within the first 2 minutes the game stops saying "Your Connection Has Been Lost" giving me a loss and kicking me out of the game. This has never happened before, but now it happens every single time I play an online game. The Wii is still connected online even though I have been booted out of my online game, and I checked into the problem with EA and they told me I had 100% packet loss and my ping rates were too high, causing me to get disconnected from my game.
I don't know much about that kind of stuff, and I have no clue how to fix it, my ISP won't help me I have called them many times about this problem and they do nothing about it because my internet is still working fine. I have no clue what to do.

My Wii is located upstairs in my house where there is no cable hook-up my internet, that is why I use wireless. I might have to just run a wire up the stairs and directly connect my Wii to the internet. If I were to go that route if nobody knows how to fix this problem, what exactly do I need to directly hook my Wii up to my broadband internet, because all I see on the back of the Wii is a USB port.

Thanks for the help.

My only suggestion would be to return the game if the online play is not working suitably.

Last edited:
The proximity of the Wii to the modem or router isn't the problem, the wii and the Madden 08 game have been working absolutely fine the way it is for over 4 months, just in the last week and a half has it started doing this.

EA told me what the problem was, they did a router trace thing and it came back showing 100% packet loss and the ping rate was too high. EA told me that these things meant that it was congesting the communication with the other person online, thus causing the connection to disconnect. But, everything should be set up the same as it was when it was working fine before, I haven't changed anything about my Wii or my internet or my router. I have no idea how to fix this problem so I can start playing online games again without getting booted out of it.

If anyone has heard of this or knows how to correct this problem, your help would be much appreciated.

Astro.

Have to heard anything further on this issue. I have the exact same problem you do. I played for many months and now I cant finiish the first series.

I keep trying different rouuter setting then I have to try and get an unranked game just to test it.

I have a problem with connection, yesterday my internet channel and all other channels were working fine. Nothing is different but I have lost the wireless connection. It is recognising the access point for both router and also nintendo wi-fi usb connection. This is for my kids ds's which have also stopped being recognised.

thats so weird, the same thing is happening to a lot of people! ive been using my wii wirelessly for a year, i lent it to a friend, got it back and now it refuses to connect to every access point it finds. i'm going crazy! is it a problem with nintendo or something??

Internet connection

Since this I have now regained my connection, here is a brief summary of what I did. Please bear in mind I am not a computer or IT expert.
I read a lot of things on many sites but the instructions from Nintendo were helpful as well. Some of these steps may be in the wrong sequence or bits missing as I am at work writing this.
First go to your computer, click on start, then on run. Type in cmd hit enter, then type in ipconfigall, (this may be a bit wrong please anyone who has done this correct for me). Then write down everything in the box that comes up. It will be a series of strings of numbers and what they are.
You will then need your internet service providers SSID and Network Key or code. This may be on a card that was supplied when you were connected dependant upon who your ISP is.
Then when you have all this follow the instructions in the wii manual to connect but follow the manual set up. Don't enter save until you have completed all the steps. This took about 45 mins to complete but it worked.
Anyone else who has done this please add to this.
Good luck all
Chris.

all you're doing is manually entering information the wii automatically detects and replicates. i've done everything the Nintendo website recommended (power cycled, updated router firmware, broadcasting on channel 1, plenty of ventilation, blah blah).

now the wii will connect occasionally, but it disconnects as soon as i try do the user agreement thingy or wii shop channel or anything. :mad5:

You're getting a bit too technical for me, so far mine has continued to work and I've since downloaded more stuff from the virtual console and swapped stars for points.
you perhaps have a different thing going on with your wii or isp. Sorry I've not been more help.
Chris.

Denver said:
thats so weird, the same thing is happening to a lot of people! ive been using my wii wirelessly for a year, i lent it to a friend, got it back and now it refuses to connect to every access point it finds. i'm going crazy! is it a problem with nintendo or something??

"every access point"...are you connecting to your wifi router or someone else's? One possibility where a wifi connection used to work but now doesn't is interference. If you have another nearby wifi connection it may be on the same channel as you. Try switching the channels to a unique one to see if the connection improves. I think that for the linksys WRT54 wireless routers channels 1 and 11 are preferred if you're in mixed mode (b/g support).

believe me, i've experimented with and adjusted everything on the WBR1310 i'm running with. ive even hopped onto neighbors' connections and remotely adjusted their router settings, with the same result. it worked just fine before, and ive got cordless phones, wireless xbox live, a laptop, and wireless headphones all working fine with the wii, before now. evidently this is going to remain my problem.:wtf:

Denver said:
ive even hopped onto neighbors' connections and remotely adjusted their router settings

That my friend is.. Illegal! :nono: Just because their personal network is unencrypted does not mean you have the right to connect. Unless it is a dedicated Hotspot (Hotels, Restaurants, Coffee Shops, etc) or unless you have the owners permission, I would advise against it.

Build a parabolic booster and place it flat against the left side of the wii to get a better signal. The wifi antennas are on the bottom right hand side in the wii, and the top left middle of the wii. I did that a while ago and it worked great. Now I use one of those $3 ebay china made 802.11g usb adapters connected to a 3 foot usb extension. This is just a simple but effective solution to get a better signal.

Swapmii said:
Build a parabolic booster and place it flat against the left side of the wii to get a better signal. The wifi antennas are on the bottom right hand side in the wii, and the top left middle of the wii. I did that a while ago and it worked great. Now I use one of those $3 ebay china made 802.11g usb adapters connected to a 3 foot usb extension. This is just a simple but effective solution to get a better signal.

thanks man, i'll try that out. that, or i'll just go to stupid futureshop and buy a usb-to-LAN adapter and go wired. :p

nxcmp said:
That my friend is.. Illegal!

i know. :ciappa: my net is faster than anyone elses, so i'd have no reason to use theirs except for experimental purposes, anyway.

Back