Wireless Connection

torontowii

WiiChat Member
Jan 20, 2008
Theres a problem with my connection. I have a laptop in the same room as my wii and the laptop runs through my wireless internet also and it works fine. The wii detects my wireless internet when setting up with a high connection rate(in the green). I select my internet thing and enter my security password for the internet and then the thing goes through those auto setups with ports ect, then when the time comes for testing the connection the thing doesn't work,it comes up as some kind of error message and says to visit the Nintendo support site.

I remember having that same problem as you a while back when I was setting up my wii. My problem was that the wireless adapter inside the wii couldn't decipher the code being sent in the signal, that may be your problem also.

what is the error code? or is there one?
the wii doesnt support all types of security encryption so that might be your problem

1.i'll get the error code shortly
2.how do i fix the wireless adapter in the wii

Am I right in thinking you're trying to get the Wii to detect your router for the first time?...*was getting confused with your explanation*

Last edited:
This might help then:

Check your wireless configuration settings, first by doing an 'ipconfig /all' at the command prompt (Start->Run->type cmd->type ipconfig /all) to determine that you are using an 192.168.<>.<> IP address and not your Internet Service Provider's IP. For example my ISP's is 82.<>.<>.<> i.e Virgin.

If it's set up using the ISP's IP then, your Wii will still detect the wireless set up but if you're adding your Wii to your wireless set up then it has to be routed along with the laptop through the router 192.168...etc. Otherwise it will never connect.

That might not be your prob but it might help...If not the only other thing I can think of is to double check that the password you have on the wireless security is correct.

i know the password is correct cause i typed some random letters and it didnt work then i typed the real password and it worked. so i can get into all those setup things but it just doesnt connect to my internet somehow. it detects the internet connection though. but how do i add the wii to my router/network cause my computer,laptop are shown on that network so how do i add the wii cause im assuming thats how people put online game saves, ect onto their game systems

Did you check to make sure your wireless connection on your laptop is assigned to 192.168.<>.<>?

i got it to work(somehow,i really dont know how it worked,it just suddenly works,and faster than it has ever been in the time that it has run)

the question now is-how do i add stuff like photos,game saves, ect to the wii,i know that in order to get GAMES i have to buy it at the wii shop but how do i upload stuff like photos and game saves?

My wii also does this with the wireless connection. Sometimes it boots up ok and starts, and i can do online things. Then others, itr just wont work, or will work to start, then when i try and go into the wii shop it wont work again.

I literally have my laptop right next to my wii to try and make the signal stronger, but it doesnt work. It would be a bummer for online play, as it will probably just cut out all thetime.

Anyone else have this prob? How do you get your wireless to work constantly without failing all the time?

Also, when it loses connection sometimes, it freezes my whole laptop, and i have toswtich it off to get it going again.

I just did the cmd promt thing suggussted above, and my ip address isnt set to what is advised. How do i change it to the one thats good for the wii?

That might be my problem.

torontowii said:
i got it to work(somehow,i really dont know how it worked,it just suddenly works,and faster than it has ever been in the time that it has run)

Nice one!

torontowii said:
the question now is-how do i add stuff like photos,game saves, ect to the wii,i know that in order to get GAMES i have to buy it at the wii shop but how do i upload stuff like photos and game saves?

You gotta get yourself a SD memory card. Photos can be viewed if they are held on a SD Memory card. The card is inserted into the Wii and it reads them. Remember to download the photo channel thingy first from the Wii shop channel...it's free btw.

Back