Wireless router connected to Wired router

Becksibee

WiiChat Member
Jun 9, 2007
HULL
Hello, Not sure if i am in the right place here or not.

I am not all up on the internet connection thing. I have a wired router connecting Two PCs. But i also want to connect my Wii to go online but i want to keep my wii downstairs (more movment space) and it is alot of messing around drlling holes etc to actually make this vesable using the WI-FI USB HUB. So i was wondering if i bought a wirless router could i connect it to my wired router as my dad dosnt want the PC on a wirless connection. (duno why just says he dosnt) is this feserble?:wtf:

PS The USB wifi thing which people use on the DS is no good eaither as i would have to leave PC while am playing.

Thank You

Becky:smilewinkgrin:

Hi

yes its possible to use a wifi router as an access point...that's exactly
how i have mine set-up.

tbh, why not just buy a wireless router and be done with the "wired" router?

wireless routers also have (normally anyway) 4 ethernet ports to connect
pc's via ethernet, so this would pacify your dad. they also (obviously) have
wifi capability so you could connect the Wii wirelessly.

the good thing is, you don't have to have a pc switched if you want to
access the net with the Wii. they all use the internet via the router
independantly of each other.

check the "router" sticky at the top of the forum list for routers which
are compatible with the Wii.

I used to have my wireless router connected to my wired router, but then we changed ISP and they gave us a new router which had both in it.

m7ticalm and FR3344LL: Which of you had the avatar first? Its DAMN confusing to see them in a row. I thought you were the same person for a moment.

Becksibee: If you do that make sure to change settings on the wireless router BEFORE connecting to your dads wired router. Specifically make sure the IP address of the two routers aren't the same and disable DHCP on the wireless one. You might need a crossover cable unless one of the devices supports auto crossover.

Thank you for that everyone i shall now look into getting a wirless router and my wii will be connected YAY ME :smilewinkgrin: Thank you for you help everyone. It is apprciated.

Becky

m7ticalm and FR3344LL: Which of you had the avatar first? Its DAMN confusing to see them in a row. I thought you were the same person for a moment.

changed mine.....

Back