Wireless Router-NEED your help!!

aim4332

WiiChat Member
Feb 6, 2011
iowa
First of all i'm new to any gaming system. Bought a Wii for my grandson so he can play it when he visits. I can hook it up to my LCD tv with no problem. I want to take it 1 step further and hook it up so I can sign up and use the Netflix option. First of all my Wii and desktop PC are about 6 ft. apart. I want to go wireless if possible.

I can hook up the wireless router with no problem but my question is what I have to do with the Wii. On the back of the Wii there are 2 USB ports. Do I have to buy some device that plug's into one of the USB ports in order for the Wii to be hooked up to the wireless router? From what I have read so far at other places is yes you do or no you don't. This is where it gets confusing for me. Just read an article last night where it says you don't need to buy anything for the USB port because it's already built into the Wii console.

Next question has to do with the router. What wireless router would you say is the one that works best for the Wii? When I start reading about routers and it says you need a 802.11GB or a WPA2-PSK type of router thats where I get lost. I live in a town where they have Walmarts,Targets,Staples,etc.. So there are my 2 questions. I do appreciate your feedback. Many Thanks.

a wireless connection on wii has nothing to do with usb ports, but you could put a wire through it with an adapter. right router? a tough question, good luck my friend......

Check out Nintendo.com or call Nintendo directly. Their customer support is usually very helpful.

The Wii has built-in wireless, so no other hardware is necessary.

As for a router, I believe the customer support area of Nintendo.com has a list of known compatible routers.

The Wii manual explains how to set up the Wii's built-in wi-fi so that it can connect to your existing wireless router.

Hi aim.. If you can hook up a wireles router then you should have no problem at all. If your buying a router too, most any one will work. Got mine at future shop on sale, its D-Link MODEL # DIR-615, I'm sure your electronics store will have this or a newer equivalent version. I do recommend staying away from BELKIN routers, not as stable as D-link in my expierence. No wires / hardware are necessary to get your Wii online. 1st make sure your internet is working on your computer with the wireless router. Next go to this link on your cpu.
http://www.nintendo.ca/cgi-bin/usersite/display_info.cgi?lang=en&pageNum=8&from=wii&id=1867642
*click the link or copy and paste to your browser where you enter address.
-Click LEARN MORE in red on the page.
-On the page that comes up click WATCH THE TUTORIAL in blue.
-This gives you a little step by step video on what to do on your Wii.
-Next click the WIRELESS option
-You have to click on the screen for each step of the video so it gives you time to do it on the Wii as you go (nice and easy :))

- You may need to put in your router password or security key when the Wii prompts you. (mine is a bunch of random letters and numbers that came with the router, if this is the case for you its a good idea to write it down when you install router and keep it somewhere safe, don't bother changing the password it comes with - this is the source of many peoples wireless problems. Plus, the included password is secure and almost impossible for someone to guess. Its a bit of a pain to put in the password for each new wireless device you bring into the house because is so random, but it avoids problems and you only have to do it once for each device. That's why i say keep is in a safe place you REMEMBER.) You can give your connection a NAME, whatever you want it to be in the router set up on the CPU, but i do not recommend changing the included security key.

-If you live near a bunch of people that have wireless, many connections may come up, be sure to choose your home connection and not the neighbors. Then put in the password your router came with.
-If the Wii asks you to do an Update - DO IT. Be sure not to update too much though (i.e. trying to update your system once a week - I've heard ppl have had problems doing this to their systems.)

- the nintendo website is pretty helpful if you have a problem. Hope this helps you out. Cheers!

Last edited:
I can hook up the wireless router with no problem but my question is what I have to do with the Wii. On the back of the Wii there are 2 USB ports. Do I have to buy some device that plug's into one of the USB ports in order for the Wii to be hooked up to the wireless router? From what I have read so far at other places is yes you do or no you don't. This is where it gets confusing for me. Just read an article last night where it says you don't need to buy anything for the USB port because it's already built into the Wii console.

I think the confusion here comes from the difference between using, or not using, a wireless router. The fact you have already chosen to use a wireless router simplifies things, as the other responders above have mentioned. You could have chosen not to use a WiFi router at all, and just piggy-backed off your existing PC's internet connection. To do this, you would need to buy a USB adapter that plugs into the PC and allows the Wii to connect to it, as if the PC were a wireless access point. That is why it seems as if people are saying "yes you do" and "no you don't" at the same time. HTH.

Back