Wireless Routers

Patrick793

WiiChat Member
Jul 21, 2007
Wireless Router Help!

Okay. Since the Nintendo Wifi USB Adaptor doesn't work with me. I'm wondering if I should get a wireless router. Would it work with my Wii even though I have a broadband connection that makes me sign in when I want to use the internet? Or would it just be a waste of money. If it would work , would you please tell me some good routers? Thanks!

Last edited:
Patrick793 said:
Okay. Since the Nintendo Wifi USB Adaptor doesn't work with me. I'm wondering if I should get a wireless router. Would it work with my Wii even though I have a broadband connection that makes me sign in when I want to use the internet? Or would it just be a waste of money. If it would work , would you please tell me some good routers? Thanks!
letting us know who your ISP is would be beneficial...what type of broadband
are you using? i'm assuming it's ADSL because of the sign in?

buying a wireless router would be the best decision. once it's set-up, there's
no need to keep "signing in"...the router does it for you and authenticates
itself to your ISP just as your pc does.

you also have the option of connecting many more wired and wireless devices
to a router...it opens up many possibilities.

as for which one? depends upon what type of broadband you're using.
ADSL requires a "combined" ADSL Modem/Wireless Router, this connects
to a regular RJ11 phone line via a "microfilter".

DSL (Cable) requires a regular wireless router which is connected to the
ISP fitted "co-axial" cable.

omg man u need a wireless router to use the wifi hub and if u not got a wireless router buy 1 or buy the usb ethernetadapter

FR3344LL said:
letting us know who your ISP is would be beneficial...what type of broadband
are you using? i'm assuming it's ADSL because of the sign in?

buying a wireless router would be the best decision. once it's set-up, there's
no need to keep "signing in"...the router does it for you and authenticates
itself to your ISP just as your pc does.

you also have the option of connecting many more wired and wireless devices
to a router...it opens up many possibilities.

as for which one? depends upon what type of broadband you're using.
ADSL requires a "combined" ADSL Modem/Wireless Router, this connects
to a regular RJ11 phone line via a "microfilter".

DSL (Cable) requires a regular wireless router which is connected to the
ISP fitted "co-axial" cable.

My ISP is Vianet. I have the 5 MBPS DSL service shown here. So, wireless router is the way to go? Do you know any cheap but good wireless routers?

I wanted to know if u can get wifi in a room that doesn't have a computer. Or is there a router that can plug into my computer and get a signal all the way to my wii on the other side of the house. All I know is it is worth it cuz wii internet is awesome. Online games with wii controls.

Patrick793 said:
My ISP is Vianet. I have the 5 MBPS DSL service shown here. So, wireless router is the way to go? Do you know any cheap but good wireless routers?

pretty much anything by netgear / d-link / belkin should suffice.

i'm sure if ciper or billscho are lurking they'll maybe point
you in the right direction.

FR3344LL said:
pretty much anything by netgear / d-link / belkin should suffice.

i'm sure if ciper or billscho are lurking they'll maybe point
you in the right direction.
Okay. Thanks for your help!

EDIT:

When I mean I have to sign in, I mean like this...
signinlv4.png

Anyway. Would this wireless router be good?

I was thinking hooking it up like Modem -> Wireless Router -> Wired to P.C and Wireless to Wii

Would that work?

Last edited:
Stick with the name brands, you should be able to find a decent one for $50-75 or cheaper. You may want to go ahead and get a router that can do the new "802.11n" wireless, which is the fastest. Any router will do 802.11g/b, but some new ones will also do 802.11n. The Wii only "speaks" with 802.11g, so an 802.11n router won't help the Wii connection go faster. But having a 802.11n router (it will also do g/b) will be nice whenever you get your next wi-fi device down the road, which will probably use 802.11n. BTW, all wireless routers also have have a few ethernet ports so you can connect via hardwire ethernet cable as well.

I use the Apple Airport Extreme router (works with both Mac/PC). I connect wirelessly my iMac, Wii, and Nintendo DS. I also connect my Windows PC, Dish Network receiver, and other rooms in my house via ethernet cables (my house is wired with ethernet). The router is the central point to the Internet.

To answer the question about having a PC in the room...no, you don't need to hook your Wii to a computer to get wireless. The Wii connects standalone and can be anywhere within 50 feet or so of the router, depending how many walls, etc. Somewhere in your house is the DSL modem that the phone/cable company provided. This is probably next to your computer, since you don't appear have a router/network. After you get the router, the DSL modem is connected directly to the router first (not the PC). Then you would hook the PC to the router (ethernet cable or wireless) as well as the Wii (wireless). So the connection would be... phone/cable jack in the wall==> wireless router==> PC/Wii/other devices.

since im a little braindead when it comes to this stuff and it seems you got it under control for the most part. i can recomment a good wireless router if you chose to use one.

IMO linksys is the way to go. i like the fact that it has the one touch security button on the front and it stays luminated so you know that youre WEP lock is enabled. its a great feature.

if you dont want a linksys for whatever reason, go with a netgear.

either way you cant go wrong

The_Loose_Cannon said:
since im a little braindead when it comes to this stuff and it seems you got it under control for the most part. i can recomment a good wireless router if you chose to use one.

IMO linksys is the way to go. i like the fact that it has the one touch security button on the front and it stays luminated so you know that youre WEP lock is enabled. its a great feature.

if you dont want a linksys for whatever reason, go with a netgear.

either way you cant go wrong

Okay. Thanks!

You can get a wireless router at Best Buy for $50-75. You can find ones cheaper than $50, if you look. You should get a router with the new 802.11n wireless standard for future wi-fi devices you will buy. Wii uses the older/current 802.11g standard, but any 802.11n router will also do older standards like 802.11g/802.11b.

To answer the question about having a PC in the same room as the Wii, then answer NO. The wireless router can be anywhere in the house (within 50 or so). The router connects directly to the DSL modem that the cable/phone company gave you. Then you can hook up multiple devices up to the router (like PCs, Wii, Blackberry, etc), either wirelessly or via ethernet cable, to share the internet connection.

For me, my router is an Apple Airport Extreme (works with both Macs and PCs). I connect my iMac, Wii, and Nintendo DS to the router wirelessly. I also connect, via ethernet cable, my older Windows PC, Dish Network Receiver, and other rooms in my house (my house is wired with ethernet/network cabling). All the rooms that have cable, phone and ethernet jacks run to a centralized distribution center in the basement. My router (as well as cable modem) is at the distribution center where the cable/phone enters the house from the street.

Sorry for the double-post...the website hiccupped and gave a error message. My first post didn't appear to take. Had to re-write it, or so I thought.

Back