Wireless Sensor Bar: would the wii "sense" it?

kwanbis

WiiChat Member
May 12, 2007
Hello everybody. I was about to cut my wired sensor bar cable to attach it to an DC power, but now i have a doubt. I tried with 2 candles, and the wii won't show the "selection hands" on the screen. So before i proceed, if i disconnect the sensor bar from the wii, but i give it power either by a 9volt battery, or by some connection to the electricity on my house, if i have done all fine, would it work? For sure? Or do i still need a second sensor bar connected to the wii? Thanks.

It will work if hooked up to a battery I have seen it done just make sure the battery works. and the wireless sensor bar uses batteries so their is no reason why it should not work.

thanks guys. So cool that you responded so quick! I have more doubts about the mod chip wiring, but i would open another topic for that :)

Considering $6.8 to get a wireless sensor bar shipped, do you really want to cut the wire of the sensor bar?

Last edited:
that would be in USA, but there is another world besides it ;)

It would bea about 30 dollars to get it here, and that for me is 90 pesos.

Would you pay 90 dollars for a sensor bar?

Are you sure? Dealextreme is Hong Kong based and shipped airmail worldwide. The price includes shipping.

That looks very promising ... so

Sensor bar u$s 7, tax about another 7 = 14.

14 * 3.1 = 44 pesos.

Much better.

But the other problem is also the shiping time.

Buy the way, some partner just cut the sensor bar, and did a cool setup. I would put fotos.

Have you tried the 2 TV remotes method? Yes, cutting the wire and provide an external power can make the sensor bar wireless. But if you confident in DIY, why not build from scratch. I just received a pack of 20 IR LEDs (indeed it has 21 in it) that costed me less than $3 shipped (or $3x2x3.1=18.6 pesos, for your convenience). Again, it is up to you, but there is another guy having problem in making the sensor bar wireless and even cannot hook it back wired. If the wire is broken, then it is a good excuse to make it wireless. :wink:

I also thought of having a friend do it for me. But it is too much work, and too expensive to do here (you won't believe how expensive electronics are here).

But the modification WAS SUCCESSFULL.

What this guy did, was cut the wires, solder a type of RCA plug on both ends, male/female, and another male on the DC power source.

Now i can connect either, and use it connected to my house wire, or to the wii.

It was very easy for him. Took about 15 mins. And it works perfectly.

Last edited:
Are you going to use it with a projector? I bought a wireless sensor bar for playing Wii on a projector. I am somewhat disappointed by the functional range of it. I think the problem is not on detecting the IR signal at 15-20ft, but the spacing between the two groups of LEDs. On Rayman Raving Rabbids, it keeps telling me to move closer to the TV (within 8ft from the sensor bar). That really defeats the purpose of making it wireless. That's why I am making a home-make one again.

Back