G3n0cide

WiiChat Member
May 11, 2007
Australia
Wii Online Code
3892-2269-1758-4620
Wireless Access Point help!

Hey guys,

just upgraded pc and with the upgrades also went with vista and now i have no idea how to set up a wireless access point to let my wii use (i had one set up on xp).

Im using Vista home premium and my motherboard is an asus m2n32sli-deluxe board which came with a ariel i guess u would call it that i used on XP when i had my acess point set up. Anyway, any help would be appreciated, and yes i've googled but havent found anything really that helpful. O yea, if you need any extra info just pm me or post a reply here and ill see what i can do!

Thanks once again!

Last edited:
Are you using a WiFi Max USB attachment or are you using a Wireless router? If you are using the WiFi max then that is your problem because it does not support Windows Vista as of now. If you are using a Wireless router then you need to configure your Wii with the correct passwords and save it as one of your wireless connection. Check this link out and see if you find the answer to your problem.

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wii/en_na/online.jsp

well im on a 1.5 mb connection (its not wireless) and my gf's bro set it up so my connection also acted as a wireless access point for my wii... does that make more sense?

AZ_Wii_Tard said:
Are you using a WiFi Max USB attachment or are you using a Wireless router? If you are using the WiFi max then that is your problem because it does not support Windows Vista as of now. If you are using a Wireless router then you need to configure your Wii with the correct passwords and save it as one of your wireless connection. Check this link out and see if you find the answer to your problem.

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wii/en_na/online.jsp

Im not using the WiFi Max USB attachment nor a wireless router (atleast not to my knowledge - lol) im on a wired 1.5 mb connection and the reason my gf's bro was able to make a wireless access point is due to my motherboard - it has wireless capability (for the record in my original post i wrote the model of it). If there is anything else you need, obviously let me know and once again i'll try my best to give the info you need.:wink:

Ohhh, you were probably using Softap by PCtel. The funny thing is that the Nintendo software is actually a modified version of that.

Unfortunately the Softap software has been discontinued by PCtel. I doubt Asus offers an updated version for Vista.

Are you against getting a real wireless router? Otherwise we would have to find a 3rd party software that runs under vista that can create a virtual AP because the Wii doesnt support Ad-Hoc wireless connections :( I know of a few for linux but ?

no no i dont believe we were using any kind of 3rd party software or anything, my motherboard came with a little ariel kind of thing and its wireless capable, we kinda 'tapped' into my 1.5 mb connection with ti and broadcast it with the arial for my wii to pick up - it worked, but that was when i had xp and i dunno how to do it on vista

From http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1404134,00.asp
"Logic board maker ASUSTek Computer Inc. of Taipei, has also announced plans to design its own soft AP solution, which it will ship as part of its ASUS@home program."

Its a program you have to install. Doesnt exist for Vista that I know of. I went to the Asus site for your motherboard and there are new realtek drivers for vista that you could try and it may restore the SoftAP function but currently your motherboards wireless card acts only as a CLIENT and cannot be used by the Wii.

Do you mind booting a copy of Unbuntu on your machine?

Last edited:
Ubuntu is Linux for dummies hehe. You can get a livecd that runs the OS without needing to be installed on a hard drive. You could use it to create an access point to play your Wii with.

Did you install the new drivers from the Asus site? I went to the driver page for your motherboard (slot am2) and there are Wireless drivers for Vista 64 released in November. It might reenable the access point function.

Honestly this is all a hack. You should use a real access point for best results.

well im kinda strapped for cash at the moment, getting a new car coz mines kind of dieing :sad: with that said... i was looking on the asus site for the newest drivers and i'm not sure if my gf's bro got the right ones.. so i'm going to try and get the latest ones - if it doesn't work when i get these... *puts on arnies voice* I'll Be Back:lol:

Edit: there is drivers that were released on the 11/5/07 which im now about to install - i think i may have been using the ones you just listed though

Edit 2: Maybe a mod could sticky this thread if there isn't already one just incase other people need help with this issue!

Last edited:
G3n0cide said:
well im kinda strapped for cash at the moment, getting a new car coz mines kind of dieing :sad: with that said... i was looking on the asus site for the newest drivers and i'm not sure if my gf's bro got the right ones.. so i'm going to try and get the latest ones - if it doesn't work when i get these... *puts on arnies voice* I'll Be Back:lol:

Edit: there is drivers that were released on the 11/5/07 which im now about to install - i think i may have been using the ones you just listed though

Edit 2: Maybe a mod could sticky this thread if there isn't already one just incase other people need help with this issue!

re:cash - I suggested an Ubuntu livecd because its free!

re:drivers - November of 2006 (be sure to get the right one, 32bit or 64 bit)

re:sticky - Access point mode on a wireless adapter is pretty rare, I doubt anyone else would have this feature. You were just lucky!

so your suggesting using the 2006 drivers as opposed to the 2007 drivers?

Edit: well i did get the 2006 ones and they are the asus ones (the later versions are from realtek or something? or am i just stupid - probably) but upon opening the install wizard it says installation failed - GG... Any help ciper?

Last edited:
G3n0cide said:
So are the drivers you see from november fifth of 2007 or may eleventh 2007?

Either way I suggest using the latest driver available for your specific build of windows. I cant remember the date right now and I really don't like the Asus site. I have an older asus MB and it drives me nuts when trying to find drivers so I usually just get them elsewhere. Most of the time you can get drivers for other systems that are way newer and hack them to work because Asus is damn slow to update things (sometimes they never do)

As a side note, I have a pcmcia NIC with the same chipset as your motherboard. Im going to try and hack your drivers to work on my card so I can use the SoftAP function :)

Back