Wondering about locating a stolen wii...

evildesign

WiiChat Member
Oct 8, 2007
Someone recently broke into my friend place and stole their Wii. I was wondering if Nintendo has a thing that watches for serial numbers that logs onto there Wii network?

evildesign said:
Someone recently broke into my friend place and stole their Wii. I was wondering if Nintendo has a thing that watches for serial numbers that logs onto there Wii network?

Contact Nintendo customer support. If you registered your Wii online, they may be able to aid police to track it down, since every Wii has a unique serial number and identifier code.

i think you might be able to locate it

depend.........

if you, were to call nintedo customer support and tell them about the stolen wii, they ask you for information about it and such and for the seriel number

if the guy who stole the wii were to connect the wii online, nintendo could flag it as stolen and send the police to where the signal is coming from

i think....

lmao of all the reasons to break into someone's house, a wii.

Crazy idea...

evildesign said:

This might sound crazy but...................................... CALL/EMAIL Nintendo and report it.

Just an idea.

If you don't know your Wii serial number and other details then you might not be able to do anything, but if you do, report it.

(sorry for repeating the same crap , i didnt see all the other posts for some reason, now i do - DOH)

zapasant93 said:
i think you might be able to locate it

depend.........

if you, were to call nintedo customer support and tell them about the stolen wii, they ask you for information about it and such and for the seriel number

if the guy who stole the wii were to connect the wii online, nintendo could flag it as stolen and send the police to where the signal is coming from

i think....

They should be able to, plus they are supposed to do that! Where do you think our tax dollars go to? Stuff like this.

what else was stolen along with the wii? if it were a cellphone or laptop(with lo-jack) you may beable to trace the cellphone or lo-jacked laptop with the thief, im not sure how a serial number is going to find the wii, but i know police can track cellphones and laptops, but will they take the time to do so is another question

This is why friend codes are great... I'm sure if you gave that to nintendo (even if you don't have the serial number) they would be able to use that. If they guy gets online with it, it's trackable. Sad thing is, it'll probably end up on eBay, and some unsuspecting soul will buy it, log online with it, and end up v&.

At least report the serial number to police. Most states if you haven't done that, you can't claim it on your insurance.

Next, around the area he lives and hit up every store who buys/sells used equipment. Ask them if they have a used Wii. When they say Yes, ask to see ALL of them (you know, so you can decided which one you want). Then look at the SNs. When you find your's, get on your cell phone and call the cops. Tell them that you are need an officer to come out because you found a store selling stolen items (yours). Make sure you have your police report with the serial number on it. Do NOT let that console out of your site. Best if your cell phone has a camera on it and you can take a pic of the stolen Wii such that it's obvious it's in the store. When the clerk tries to push you out, let him know what's going on and that you aren't going to press charges against them/him, you just want your Wii (and everything else they have on record as they bought from the guy) back and the police to have the guys info.

If you can't find the Wii in any local stores, report the item as stolen to those stores. They have a database they enter the SN's into and should be able to keep an eye out for stolen equipment. They're supposed to in Ohio at least. Otherwise they can get busted for purchasing stolen items.

If someone was smart enough to break into your house then they'd probably be smart enough to not go on the internet.

6ix said:
If someone was smart enough to break into your house
You have to be smart to break into a house?...

Not sure what you can do or if the above suggestions will work, I haven't really read up on Wii tracking. Sounds interesting.

Back