Working connection with 128 WEP

MorningToast

WiiChat Member
Jan 28, 2007
Columbus, Ohio
I just got my Wii today and tried to get online. I got the "cannot connect" error even though it detected my access point just fine. I have my wireless security as 128bit WEP and all my other wireless devcies work fine, but the Wii did not.

I first tried resetting the access point, changing the WEP key, etc. and none of that work. I then disabled all security and that worked, so at that point I knew it was not a Wii problem. I then enabled the 128 WEP again.

After trying 13-character keys and 26-character keys, I just happened to try something that seemed a little backwards.

On my Belkin access point, I can enter in my WEP key from a single phrase (string of characters). My expectation was to provide that pass phrase to the Wii for it to work, but that did not work. The admin for the access point shows me the HEX version of my pass phrase - a bunch of pairs of letters/numbers.

I entered THE HEX VALUES as the pass phrase for the Wii and that worked!!

So when the Wii askes you for your 128 WEP key, it is NOT the phrase you typed to generate the hex key - IT IS the hex key.

I hope that helps those that might be misunderstanding stuff they are reading but feel they are close.

Wii on.

Mate - I had the same problem, it can find your access point easy, but cannot connect, try changing the broadcasting channel on your router, i use channel 1 from Linksys WAG354G and got it first time, if its on the wrong channel it will find it but not connect, or connect and drop off again

Actually, I have the Wii online working - I posted that as a solution.

My channel is on 1 and that is working just fine, but 11 also worked.

I just got hung up on the WEP key. I thought the key was the phrase I typed because that's how my laptop acts - but the Wii actually wants the HEX code generated by the phrase.

Shy of that, everything else in getting the Wii online was fine.

I'm with alll the dudes up there, my laptop and Wii were connectiong but very slow...I changed the channel from 6 to 11 and everything worked flawlessly.

MorningToast said:
I just got my Wii today and tried to get online. I got the "cannot connect" error even though it detected my access point just fine. I have my wireless security as 128bit WEP and all my other wireless devcies work fine, but the Wii did not.

I first tried resetting the access point, changing the WEP key, etc. and none of that work. I then disabled all security and that worked, so at that point I knew it was not a Wii problem. I then enabled the 128 WEP again.

After trying 13-character keys and 26-character keys, I just happened to try something that seemed a little backwards.

On my Belkin access point, I can enter in my WEP key from a single phrase (string of characters). My expectation was to provide that pass phrase to the Wii for it to work, but that did not work. The admin for the access point shows me the HEX version of my pass phrase - a bunch of pairs of letters/numbers.

I entered THE HEX VALUES as the pass phrase for the Wii and that worked!!

So when the Wii askes you for your 128 WEP key, it is NOT the phrase you typed to generate the hex key - IT IS the hex key.

I hope that helps those that might be misunderstanding stuff they are reading but feel they are close.

Wii on.

This is an excellent tip. I was just about to post similar info about how the encryption is not a passphrase system like many wireless interfaces want to use. This should be a sticky or part of an FAQ

I was actually kind of surprised that the Wii didn't support a similar type of pass key for the encryption. If most wireless device setups just ask you for a string and do the hex conversion for you, then why shouldn't the Wii do that for you too?

I hope this does end up in some sort of FAQ or at least that we put enough keywords in this post so people can find it. It isn't hard getting the hex string or entering it in the Wii, but like you say Mym6, the norm seems to be pass phrases and that's no educating anyone when it comes to troubleshooting like I had to figure out.

(Shameless plug for more Wii and gaming topics - The Morning Toast)

Just wanted to help you guys out with something 'TheDammed' and 'Morning Toast' mentioned. The reason why you had a slow speed and had to change the channel that your wireless router was on was probably because there is someone else who lives near you that has a wireless router which is probably broadcasting a wireless signal on the same channel as you(channel 6 appears to be the default channel for most routers and no-one really thinks to change it 'cos they don't normally need to). I found out that my wireless router was on the same channel as someone else who lives a few doors down from me by using a piece of free software called "Network Stumbler'. As soon as I changed my channel from 6 to 7, my speeds were much better.

Good idea posting the solution to your problem Morning Toast! I hope that it helps other people! :thumbsup:

Back