Writing article on Wii and looking for some help

MonicaPost

WiiChat Member
Sep 30, 2007
I'm a reporter with the Washington Post who is working on an article about the Wii Zapper, due out in November. I've already talked to the folks at Nintendo; now hoping to talk to some people who are excited about it coming out. If you're willing to answer a few questions, shoot me an email at [email protected]

Monica

Ha! I am also sloth-like, but unfortunately I'll need the names of anyone I talk to and I'd rather not ask people to post those in a public forum, 'specially for those under 18. So, Please PLEASE respond to my email address. I know, I know, those extra keystrokes are HARD.

Here are the questions I'm interested in asking?

1) How stoked are you about the release?
2) How do you think it will change your style of play?
3) If you are under 18, have you gotten any "no guns in my house" flak from your parents?

Thanks
Monica

What type of spin are you going to put on the story? I don't want anything to do with helping out the whole "video games are making our kids into killers" types.

MonicaPost said:
1) How stoked are you about the release?
2) How do you think it will change your style of play?
3) If you are under 18, have you gotten any "no guns in my house" flak from your parents?
Monica

Monica, do you know what the Wii Zapper looks like?

There was an on-line article from a newspaper last month that showed the wrong picture for the Zapper. The article claimed that the Zapper was too gun looking and might cause children to start taking up real guns and killing everyone in sight. The Zapper is just an attachment or holder for the remote and nun chuck. Without those pieces, it is a white piece of plastic with a trigger. Growing up in the 70's and 80's I owned plenty of cap guns and water pistols that were far more realistic than the Wii Zapper can dare claim to be. The light gun used with the Pong game I had back in the 70's looks more realistic, it was gun colored. I even own a dart gun that looks like a 9mm, it's probably not sold anymore because of how real it looks. I don't own any real guns, but have shot real guns. In fact, I used to shoot .22 caliber rifles almost every summer at Boy Scout camp. With all of that gun influence, I have not turned into a raving gun toting lunatic. My parents raised me well, I guess.

As far as game play, yes, the Zapper and the Wii will change the way First Player Shooters (FPS) will be played. This has already been proven by Metroid Prime 3 (MP3). Not having the "amazing" graphics of Halo 3 or any PlayStation game, MP3 has been crowned the best FPS ever. This is for two reason, one is the amazing texture layers of the game and the second is for the game play. The ability to point at the screen and shoot made the game even more amazing to the big game reviewers. Having the Zapper will help with this, because it will be easier to hold the remote in a gun holding fashion. The Zapper however, cannot be used on every game, it would have not worked for MP3.

The main game coming out around the time of the Zapper that will use the Zapper is Metal of Honor: Heroes II (MOH: H2). The game is based in World War II time frame and uses a variety of weapons. It also has a 32 player on-line mode. So, you will have plenty of kids using the zapper to shoot their friends on-line with every thing from a machine gun to a bazooka to a sniper rifle. Will it turn those kids into homicidal maniacs? Who knows. Hopefully their parents raised them well enough to know the difference between reality and imagination.

If you want to right an article that would really hit home, write one about the lack of parenting skills of today's parents and the increase of self-entitlement and lack of ownership of responsibility in general.

Junior member? As far as I know, that means ur under 18. Meaning you really are a news reporter...
You can just ask you're, if you wanna know our opinions, no need to make up stuff 'bout yourself... or maybe you want our emails for some reason?:wtf:

JT. said:
Junior member? As far as I know, that means ur under 18. Meaning you really are a news reporter...
You can just ask you're, if you wanna know our opinions, no need to make up stuff 'bout yourself... or maybe you want our emails for some reason?:wtf:

Doesn't junior member mean nothing other than that the person hasn't made that many posts yet?

From the little info I was able to find about Monica Hesse, I didn't find anything "suspicious".

Edit: I did find someone with the opinion that she's a bit juvenile though, at least in her writing :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
FoamRocket said:
Doesn't junior member mean nothing other than that the person hasn't made that made posts yet?

From the little info I was able to find about Monica Hesse, I didn't find anything "suspicious".

Edit: I did find someone with the opinion that she's a bit juvenile though, at least in her writing :lol:

Aha, I see. So this can be true then. Sorry! Can't be bothered to write my opinion though, except "useless". Might be cool if it came with a good game such as MoH:H2.

:). Yep -- I think junior member just means that I haven't posted much. You can go to the Washington Post website and look me up if you want further proof.

And FYI, this is NOT one of those "oooooh, it looks like a Guuuuun" articles. I have seen photos--I'm talking with Nintendo about trying out a model this week. However, since some parental groups have it in their heads that it's a gun, I need to at least acknowledge some of the controversy.

So, I hope to get emails from many of you.

Monica

Back