Xbox Online Questions

PtonJalken

Ptowwnaagee!
Dec 25, 2006
Canada
Wii Online Code
7740-5070-1158-5119
Ello again :yikes:

Im asking some net questions again because i wanna make sure im not going to lag on Xbox Live cause i dont wanna spend 2000$ CAN out if i cant kick some ass with some FPS games online ( I wuva the FPS).

My computer's (which is like 4 years old) latency on speedtest.net is 49Ping on my side of NA (Nova Scotia, Canada area) and around 125Ping over on the west side of North America. Thats pretty good and thats what i usually get if its a game hosted in central North America.. (Like on Enemy Territory). Im wondering would i get the same Ping (or better maybe) on the Xbox if it was also a wired connection?

Would wireless tone my speed down? Cause i noticed on my Wii when i tried the test it was around the same over where i live but over on the West coast was like 300ping (might be because the Wii isnt a computer and it cant detect it correctly.. or since it was wireless). Id prefer Wireless but in no way i will if its gonna cause me some lag.

Would a wired router work if i just plugged it into my phone like and into the xbox from there? or would i need another computer to keep the router configured? (hopefully someone can anwser that for i dont gotta trot over to a computer forum).

Its gonna be awesome when i buy all this after a few months (working part-time if you call it, around 35-45 hours a week at 7.60 a hour *im a student* )

Thx for the help, ill post if more questions come from your anwsers.

you should be fine
the only time theres really lag on xbox live is when you play people over seas, sometimes playing with british people is fine, but others lag

Sovieto said:
you should be fine
the only time theres really lag on xbox live is when you play people over seas, sometimes playing with british people is fine, but others lag

do you have wired Sovieto?

PtonJalken said:
do you have wired Sovieto?
yes
but that dosent matter, wireless' effect is constant, once the signal is in your modem and out the other end, it dosent matter where its going whether it was wired or wireless, it will lag depending on your internet/distance

MysticGohan said:
^ you have to have wired unless you want to dish out $120 us without tax for the wifi adapter.

ohh. nvm that then lol. Ill just have to figure out how to put the modem working upstairs. (We have one of those multi-phone converter things in basement to give out 3 seperate phones. One is hooked to the computer downstairs and its phone. I geuss there would probably be a way to get another modem working in my room for the Wii/Xbox then.)

MysticGohan said:
jet get a cheap router... they are only like $30-$50 cdn for an avarage one with both wired and wireless.

oh buyin gone isnt a problem. Im just not sure if they work or not without a computer plugged into them. :/

MysticGohan said:
^ you have to have wired unless you want to dish out $120 us without tax for the wifi adapter.
im sorry but that math is just HORRIBLE
the average tax rate in the US is around 7%
7% of $100 couldnt get any easier, its 7 dollars
20% tax would be insane and would mean were in a little war called World War 3

i take it you haven't played PES6?

that game would ****ing lag even if you were playing your next door neighbour.:mad5:

Sovieto said:
im sorry but that math is just HORRIBLE
the average tax rate in the US is around 7%
7% of $100 couldnt get any easier, its 7 dollars
20% tax would be insane and would mean were in a little war called World War 3
my bad i checked and its $129.99cdn without tax, and $99.99US without tax...

PtonJalken said:
oh buyin gone isnt a problem. Im just not sure if they work or not without a computer plugged into them. :/
the one we have works... we use to have it connected to a come but then that comp crashed and now its not connected to anything, i use it wired something and wireless. my bro uses it wireless mostly so both work.

do wireless bridges work for the 360 through the ethernet connection? i have one laying around that i used to use for my original xbox but my live account ran out and im getting a 360 in september.

gingerkid said:
do wireless bridges work for the 360 through the ethernet connection? i have one laying around that i used to use for my original xbox but my live account ran out and im getting a 360 in september.

yes they do

i've run two different linksys models WGA11B and WGA54G

just remember to add the xbox's MAC to your routers access (if you're
using MAC filtering).

Back