Yasumi Matsuno (Wii RPG)

Frog

WiiChat Member
Oct 21, 2007
Anyone have any more info on this game? I just found out about it today and am really excited!!! I consider Final Fantasy Tactics to be one of the greatest games ever made!!! I've also played every other game he has designed!!!
-------------------------------------
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3153639

Matsuno Developing for Wii
Former Final Fantasy XII director loves the Wii.
By Sam Kennedy, 09/14/2006

At Nintendo's Wii press conference in Tokyo today, Yasumi Matsuno, director of Final Fantasy XII (well, until he left the project midway through its development) and other popular RPGs like Final Fantasy Tactics and Ogre Battle, stated that he is developing for the Wii and expressed his love for the platform.

As part of a video segment of developers praising the new Nintendo console, Matsuno stated he's a recent convert to the Wii. "The Wii controller makes total sense when you think about FPS-like games, but my question was, will the controls fit other existing games?" he asked himself, no doubt thinking of RPGs. "However, when I first tried Mario Galaxy, I realized that the controller fit the game almost scarily well. It allows you to intuitively feel the game and its atmosphere."

Matsuno also mentioned that he agrees with Nintendo's stance of gameplay over graphics. "Graphics (these days) have evolved, and there are many games claiming that this generates a more realistic atmosphere. However, there are very few games that have a control interface that lives up to this atmosphere. With the Wii controller you can actually feel like you're touching or living in this atmosphere."

Matsuno, who pulled a Dave Chappell and quit Square-Enix midway through Final Fantasy XII's development and kind of went into seclusion, is working on his Wii ideas for a new game developer (though which one has yet to be revealed).

Yasumi Matsuno Game Design Credits...

Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen (Director, scenario and game design) SNES
Tactics Ogre (Director, scenario and game design) SNES
Final Fantasy Tactics (Director, script and game design) PSone
Vagrant Story (Producer, director and battle design) PSone
Ogre Battle 64 (Person of Lordly Caliber: Script, scenario design) N64
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance: (Producer, original concept) GBA
Final Fantasy XII (Original concept, scenario plotter, and supervisor) PS2
Wii RPG ????

Last edited:
Wow!!! This is also old but related news!!! I read that Matsuno is developing said new RPG with these guys. I did not know Nintendo purchased them.

Wii could very well become a RPG powerhouse!!!

http://wii.ign.com/articles/784/784029p1.html

Nintendo Acquires Xenosaga Developer
Namco transfers its hold in Monolith.
by Anoop Gantayat

April 27, 2007 - Nintendo may have just become a major player in the RPG field. Bandai Namco Holdings issued a press release today announcing that it will transfer 80% of its 96% stake in Monolith Soft to Nintendo, effective May 1.

As reason for the move, the firm cited considerations involving the future growth of the Monolith studio and the desire to strengthen its relationship with Nintendo in the console software business.

Monolith is known primarily for its work on the Xenosaga series, which has been mostly a PlayStation franchise. On Nintendo platforms, the developer brought Xenosaga I&II to the DS and also supported the GameCube through Baten Kaitos and its sequel.

This isn't the end of relations between Monolith and Bandai Namco, though. In addition to retaining a 16% stake in the developer, Bandai Namco says that it will continue to make use of the studio for planning and development. What this means for the Xenosaga series is anyone's guess at this point, but we'll let you know if we hear anything.

Nobody is interested in this?

We are talking 1st-party Nintendo RPGs!!!

Quality RPGs!!!

Flagship RPGs for Nintendo like Sony has Final Fantasy and and Microsoft has Mistwalker.

This will likely be announced this year at E3. It might even be the big announcement that Reggie mentioned.

Well Nintendo has a first party RPG, Paper Mario. (IMO, FF is not a Sony game)

I'm still waiting for a good JRPG, and I would prefer a non-nintendo one, I would actually prefer one made by Matsuno.

EDIT: And this is pretty old news, I remember talking about rumors with Matsuno and Nintendo Wii game development months ago.

This is interesting, to say the least. nice one frog. Hopefully we find out alot more at E3.

Back