Yeah, I'm old... So what?

Austruck

Member-Mom
Jul 8, 2011
western Pennsylvania
Wii Online Code
5683-2796-5293-7388
Howdy... Not new to the online world (been online since 1987), but new to console gaming. My firstborn (now age 27) has owned every Nintendo console ever made, and I finally just broke down last week and got myself a Wii. (I can't use his since he's married and doesn't live here, harrumph!)

It's been only a few days but I love it so far. It came with Mario Kart and I've since bought Wii Sports. Other friends are insisting I buy Animal Crossings, and I've also downloaded Zelda: Ocaria of Time from the VC store (am waiting for the classic controller to arrive from Amazon so I can play that one).

I'm a 50-yr-old mother of four, a writer and proofreader by trade, and I must be having my own little midlife crisis since hitting 50 two months ago. Bought myself a ukulele and now a Wii. Today I bought a new vacuum cleaner, but I don't think that counts since it didn't come with a remote control and apparently I'm supposed to stand behind it and PUSH it or something.... :wink:

I have a feeling I'll have a ton of questions that will make you experts feel important and helpful by answering them (since they'll be obvious to you even if they're impossible for me). Besides, my poor son will get tired of all my emailed questions very quickly... so it's time to share the love!

Right now I'm trying to figure out why the whole Mii Channel thing is important. I suppose it seems stupid when you're new and don't have any Mii friends yet....

Anyway, glad to be here!

Welcome to the forums, Austruck. I can happily assure you all your questions regarding the Wii will be intelligently answered. =) ... Well, for the most part anyways.

I hope you enjoy Ocarina of Time as much as I did when I was a kid (I'm a youngin', to say the least). If you do have a grand time with the game, I'd have to recommend Zelda: Twilight Princess for the Wii. Same good ol' Zelda adventure, but all the more brilliant.

The Mii channel doesn't really have any importance, actually. :lol: It's only needed use is allowing you to use Miis you've made yourself, or downloaded via the "Check Mii Out" Channel, in certain games. Namely Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort, although I'm sure there are a few other games out there to use Miis. Otherwise, it's there to provide entertainment if you enjoy the sort.

Hello there! i'm 49yo and i play Animal Crossing City Folk (often abbreviated as ac:cf). i love it. The folks on this message board are mostly nice, patient and helpful. There are many older players on this message board as well so don't worry about age. Please feel free to ask questions, everybody was new once so if anyone acts like a jerk, they have forgotten this fact and you don't have to bother with them if you don't want to. i am sending you a friend request which you don't have to accept if you don't want to at this time. Since i only play ac:cf i might not be of much help for you right now. Anyway, welcome to this forum and have a great time gaming!

Welcome aboard. Thanks for joining us. Anything you need along the way, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks for that I was starting to think that 33 was too old :yesnod: Hope you enjoy your stay :)

Thanks, guys, for the welcome! In the Mii Channel there were 4 strange Miis in the Mii Parade, so I moved them all to the Mii Plaza so my baseball team looks a little more diverse. :wink:

My Nintendo-expert son assures me that Twilight Princess is a great game and my youngest daughter (age 18) also says it's one of her favorites, so that sounds like a must-own too. I've ordered a second Wii Remote Plus, a classic controller, and two more wheels (the console came with one but I found a good deal on a package of two more).

I'll probably order Animal Crossings online along with Twilight Princess, since Walmart was sold out of both -- and they had almost everything else in stock, so I'm guessing these two games are popular, and for good reason.

Anyway, I'm glad to have found something that might keep me from becoming too obsessed with Minecraft on the computer. LOL

I'm loving the Wii so far. No "buyer's remorse" or anything, probably because I've been mulling over the decision literally for years. I'm even using the News Channel and Forecast Channel. :)

zpyderly, thanks for the friend request. A person can never have too many friends. :yesnod: As for AC:CF ... is that a separate game from AC or just a submenu inside the game? (I'm trying to hold off ordering that and Twilight Princess for a FEW days to fool myself into thinking that I'm restraining myself. Ha!)

AC:CF (Animal Crossing: City Folk) is an actual retail game, it's the sequel to the original Animal Crossing that was on the previous Nintendo console, the Gamecube.

I'll probably order Animal Crossings online along with Twilight Princess, since Walmart was sold out of both -- and they had almost everything else in stock, so I'm guessing these two games are popular, and for good reason.

Anyway, I'm glad to have found something that might keep me from becoming too obsessed with Minecraft on the computer. LOL

Wow, Twilight Princess is still becoming sold out? I didn't think it was still booming in sales, hah. I'm not surprised, but after five years, you'd think sales might slow down a little. :lol:

Ahh, Minecraft... I'm ashamed to say my heap of trash computer isn't equipped with a graphics card to run it, period. I'm not tech savvy enough to install one myself, either. =/ Aside from the brilliant game almost consuming you, I envy ya. :lol: Do you know about any of the specs your PC has?

I was hesitant to join this forum and post due to my age (47) but now I feel a whole lot better about it. Nice post and hello to all.

Welcome to the Nintendo family!Did you buy the Wii Wheels used? Since it's just plastic (no electronics inside) It's a far better deal than buying one new for $40-50. Or you could buy a generic one. Again, it's plastic, so there's no real quality to complain of, and in thisd case, the generic wheel is actually SUPERIOR to the Wii Wheel, more comfortable grip, etc.As for Twilight Princess, GREAT game! but the Mini-Game in Hena's fishing shack is impossible to win w/ motion controls. It was hard enough w/ the Gamecube joystick.You also want to catch the upcomming Skyward SwordMarioKart rules, but that blu shell should either be dumbed-down for the next game, or removed entirely. Here's a bit of advice, go to tvtropes.com & read their entry on the Wii as well as the other game consoles got get a good idea of the games they have. I also suggest you get Netflix for wii, it IS worth the price!Also, the WiiShop channel has a few free demos to download, like Dart Rage & Bit.Trip.Void.Sadly, the wii's internet function id terrible. Obsolete Flash, obsolete Java, unsupported Opera (I can't even use Yahoo anymore) Most jpgs on websites are just a blank frame, no popup block.Hopefully the WiiU will have up-to-date support for it's lifetime.

Doesn't the Wii update? I recall it doing an update when first getting it hooked up. I am able to watch youtube and have played some light java games. Youtube vids do seem to slow down when enlarged to full screen but the small screen appears to work fine.

Back