Your Own Zelda Game

DarkDepths said:
Well see when I suggested actually making the game, I was hoping that some people would take it sort of seriously and debate their ideas, not just express them randomly and make fun of others. So I was thinking that perhaps if you wanted me to make the game, we could all start thinking along the same lines and elaborating on each others ideas...

I agree so do you have any good ideas to make a good zelda game? If let me know and i will give you some ideas too.

Oh yeah... Didn't you say Zaine that I couldn't come up with a good storyline for my own zelda game. Well I am about to prove you wrong. I hope you be on later on so I can PM my zelda story ok. Trust me you will like it.

I personally dont have many ideas. Well, not true, I have quite a few ideas. Its just that none of them can really go deep enough for a zelda game.

I really dont want to do a mmorpg though for a few reasons. Reason one is that it is very time consuming and much more complicated to program. Reason two is that for it to work effectivly, I would have to buy a server, which, for a dedicated one, can run around 700 bucks a month. So sorry, mmorpg is out!

I do like the idea of having it more modern though. Maybe not so modern as to have guns, but more modern in the architecture and stuff. I also like the idea to be able to weild two sords instead of a sheild.

1. MMORPGS do not suit the Zelda fighting style. Besides who has ever seen a Zelda game that is likely to end up being a MMORPG? Zelda is all about single player exploration fun hack and swipe!

2. Two swords are a good idea to add to a Zelda game but that is somewhat reminiscent of Tomb Raider where Lara often started with two guns for the sole reason - to highlight her curviness! Sure other single guns were available but it was the two pistol weapon that showed her sexyness.

3. MMORPGs are OUT!! Get outta here! AIIIEEEE!!!

In the TP, the creators sure have made the game more 'modern' - iron boots to connect to magnetic fields which enable Link to walk upside down and stuff. I bet they got the idea from Metroid Prime with Samus' ability to use magnetic rails to access inaccessible places. I hope Link has rocket boots so that he can double jump in the new game! XD.

Time travel is a bit old nowdays - too many adventure games have time travel. They also have two world explorations (often a paralllel world) in which they alternate between to get somewhere. ALTTP and Metroid Prime Echoes use the parallel world scenario to complete the game. OoT and OoA use the time travel feature.

In my game I'm thinking more of a one wolrd exploration in which the hero (Link) explores and comes across people who provide the storyline and events that will lead to Link discovering himself, in which he eventually transforms into Dark or Omni Link and gains access to the tetraforce (kind of based on the forth triforce theory), and it is also based around the beginning of Majora's mask and the end of OoT as well as ALTTP.

Put simply an agglomerate of stories from the many different Zelda games, heavily based on the tetraforce theory.

Have any of you read the Wizard of Earthsea? (probably not, I says to myself...I'm all alone) welllll, I love that book, and I love comparing the character in it (His name is Ged, and duh, he's a wizard...but a damn cocky one, and he sets loose a great evil shadow that in order to defeat, he has to find its true name...and it ends up being the shadow of himself, so its name is also Ged...kiiind of like Dark Link) I think a game along the lines of Link having to search for his dark side and having to vanquish it a certain way is a great idea for a game

That is a good idea, and I like it very much. I don't really know how we could make him find himself... but if anyone has any ideas.

thank you:D umm, I dunno, maybe Link and Ganon butt heads and GAnon, as a last move, rips or creates Link's 'doppleganger' shadow thing, and thats how it starts, and...yea, help someone???

I like it! That'd be cool as an intro sequence in one of those big fancy games eh. Ganon just picking up link, ripping him in half, but instead of link splitting, a seperate, dark link comes out. That'd be a great way to start. Then ganon takes off and Link has to go and kill his "doppleganger" and ultimatly ganon. But at the end, you dont end up killing ganon, he gets away. But you finished the task at hand. Hmm... now just for some items to find to allow link enterance into ganons lair...

yay! I like that you like that idea...I never thought of it in a cinema type scenario though......cooooool...I think it would look fancy...but I'm fresh out of ideas to help you with the rest of it...where did everyone else go to help???

I dunno... How about...

Ganon ran away after splitting link in two. He keeps dark link in some kinda energy cell thing which transports energy into ganon from dark link. You have to face ganon and he almost kills you cause he has his energy and half of yours. So u escape and try and free your other half, but in doing so, have to kill him. So you kill him, but right before he dies, you ar rejoined as one and you get to go kill ganon.

I dont know how that sounds... but opinions would be good.

OK... now. Because that would make for a very short zelda game, what kind of items should we be looking for.

We need something(s) that Link needs to get before he can face the first Ganon.

We need something(s) that link needs to get before seeing his other half.

Then we need some more stuff so that link can get back to ganon.

Also... should we go with the temple idea? We could make four really big temples. Earth, Fire, Water, and Air. And you need to find items to survive those tasks as well.

I have some ideas for features in the game.

I don't believe link had a horse vefore OoT did he? So... I think we could give him a horse using the same kinda system that OoT uses. You press space to go faster, you move with the arrow keys. And, you can use your bow with the mouse making it bery accessible.

Also, I wonder about a stat system. So it's like normal Zelda, but you can increase your strength, and it can give it a little more depth. There could be multiple skills, like magic, defense, and attack and things like that. You would be damaged or do so much damage depending on your enemies stats. That's just a though.

Elaborating on the last thought there... I was also thinking that weapons and armour could have ratings. So that your shield gives you so much of a defense boost. And so on like that.

I don't really have many other thoughts at the moment, though I can tell you one thing. I plan to create the game in a top down view like the classic game, but I also plan to create some nice 3D cutscenes.

Any thoughts on my.... thoughts.

I agree about the 3D cutscenes,,,whee...this is fun! Hmm, I liked paper mario, where MArio and Bowser faced off at THE very first of the game...perhaps Link could go through a mini dungeon to save someone, that Ganon fixed to trap Link...in the dungeon, Link could find something imperitave, but small, like the boomerang, or a lantern, or something along those lines.

I absolutely love the idea about elemental temples...maybe in order to complete his torn self once again, he must find the 'keys' or some type of mystic item, of the four elements...uit seems to fit to find yourself through the earth's elements...and then, and only then can he complete himself... maybe after the second temple, a second showdown ensues, where Link sees what his true plot is, and how the force of his shadow strengthens GAnon, but weakens Link.

You should get items, definately you need to stick with bombs and the bow and arrows. hmm, other items...power gauntlets (bracelet was too kiddy for my liking...I love gauntlet idea)to lift and push stuff, and maybe you could have a raft or water wading boots so you can walk on water. You can also go with the old idea of flute, and hookshot, or you could take away stuff and add more...you can get the bigger items in the temples, but the small stuff you can find around Hyrule, like, you could find a power gauntlet hidden in a cave, or in a waterfall.

I like the level-up system. It gave the Legend of Link a different edge that I liked, and it makes it much easier to incorporate magic into it. when you gain a level, you can choose to up your attack, defense(hearts) or magic power. That would make finding heart pieces odder though...we can work on that. MAgic could go one way or the other. You can either learn magic at certain levels, or you can travel to find certain elders who tell you of the magic powers, like in LoL(Legend of Link)

I also like the idea of the finding items you can upgrade. You can upgrade the boomerang in the classic game so that it can go from spanning half the screen to all of the screen, reaching far enemies. The same for the sheild...you upgraded to a bigger one so more enemies could be blocked, and a certain sheild could maybe block like, fireballs or lasers. The level-up defense could cooperate with the upgraded defenses (armour and sheilds) by acting like a power-multiplier. say, at level one defense, you also have level one armour and level one sheild, your defense is 1x1x1=1. At level 2, you have level 1 sheild still and level 2 armour, its like, umm...1.2x1x2=2.4 defense. I like that idea...sheild and armour(tunic) equal their level in defense, and leveling up equals a smaller number, because you can get more levels, maybe even 1.5, if its easier to work with. Attacks and magic work like that too...with your sword being the matter that you need to weigh...lol, what do you think? We need to discuss more on the temple ideas...any MORE opinions??? Come on!

**********Something I forgot to mention in my ramble...I think the horse idea could be very awesome...lol:arf: I like the horsey...they're fun!I spent countless hours riding Epona around the feild in OoT and MM

Last edited:
Because that would make for a very short zelda game, what kind of items should we be looking for.
Very true. Some of the storylines suggested here are great! I might try to base my Zelda game on some of the storylines mentioned here.

I have thought about the items (I started my game since last year after I finished the HSC. I live in Australia) and the items I'm using are -

1. Wooden Sword
2. Silver Sword
3. Master Sword
4. Boomerang
5. Boomerang[2] (Longer Length)
6. Bomb
7. Arrow
8. Light Arrows
9. Fire Rod
10. Ice Rod
11. Hookshot

This collection is a mix of the items found in ALTTP and OoT. No fire or ice arrows - they're replaced by the ice rod and fire rod.

For the items to conquer the 'last Ganon' I have it as the last item in the sidequest items to be collected in the game. And its going to be really difficult to get hold of it. (Not impossible)

My game is based on the Legend of Zelda sprites but with a better layout twist and it is to be better designed than the rooms you see in the first game. In the near future I might eventually change to ALTTP graphics.

We could make four really big temples. Earth, Fire, Water, and Air.
Not only there were four elements mentioned by the ancients, but there was a fifth element. This element was called 'quintessence', which was the element that the other four elements were composed of. So yeah for that 'fifth' temple you could have it as a combination of all the four temples. Its symbol is the pentagon/pentagram.

Hang on. They've already done that in OoT. Forest Temple, Water Temple, Fire Temple, and Ganon's Castle. There's no Air temple XD.

Getting items and implementing them to make it work in the game does require heaps of time and programming to finally get it to work. Temples take even longer as they require design on paper so you can see the overall image of what it looks like altogether. Because the nature of Zelda temples are mostly puzzle based with plenty of hacking and slashing enemies, it takes time to create the puzzles and to create the enemies as well. I've nearly finished the fourth temple. Boy... it is HUGE!

Speaking of upgrades...
You can upgrade the boomerang in the classic game so that it can go from spanning half the screen to all of the screen, reaching far enemies. The same for the sheild...you upgraded to a bigger one so more enemies could be blocked, and a certain sheild could maybe block like, fireballs or lasers. The level-up defense could cooperate with the upgraded defenses (armour and sheilds) by acting like a power-multiplier. say, at level one defense, you also have level one armour and level one sheild, your defense is 1x1x1=1. At level 2, you have level 1 sheild still and level 2 armour, its like, umm...1.2x1x2=2.4 defense. I like that idea...sheild and armour(tunic) equal their level in defense, and leveling up equals a smaller number, because you can get more levels, maybe even 1.5, if its easier to work with
sure its a great idea but I really feel that type of upgrade is better for Turn based RPGs not Real Time RPGs. I could try implementing it in my game but it would take a while to get it to work. There is another downside to it as well - people would have to know how much health they have relative to how much health an enemy takes when Link gets hit AND he has to work out through guesswork how much health would be lost. This type of health system is very similar to Pokemon.

For temple ideas - focus your temple on a particular theme (eg fire air earth water ice shadow light ice poison etc) and always make sure there is something interesting for the player to interact with halfway through the temple as well as at the end. Temples are usually alot more fun if they have enemies that are connected to the protagonist in one way or another before he ventures into the temple.

I have focused my temples on a particular theme and boss battle that is often related to the temple and its surroundings. For a somewhat challenging temple I use music that are foreboding to set the mood and plan my temple around dark enemies and dark coloured sprites. A temple does not look right if it doesn't have the right sprites to connect the mood to the temple... And that is what nintendo has done well in most of the Zelda temples. Especially the Forest and Water Temples in OoT.

In the forest temple, it was the music and the scenery of the temple that made it very foreboding and it did make you feel like every room had its own dangers. You really were scared every time you opened a door in the forest temple...

The water temple was different in its own right. The music associated with it was a very good piece and it did have its own foreboding mood. But it was more puzzle based compared to the forest temple and the rooms were well designed. Listening to the music and looking at the statues littered all over the place in the water temple did make them feel alive. The best room in the water temple was the dark link battle room. The illusion imposed on the room was brilliantly designed.

Back