Your Views on Proper Grammar?

How can I, of all people, not post to this thread? :D

There's really nothing new for me to add though that hasn't already been said. Many people have already responded with my exact feelings. But I'll summarize:

- Proper spelling and grammar make it easier to read
- There should be no such thing as "formal" and "informal" spellings and grammar
- Language is a tool... used properly, it facilitates communication and understanding. Used improperly, it facilitates confusion
- Using proper spelling and grammar is a sign of respect for the reader
- Using proper spelling and grammar demonstrates your intelligence and makes it more-likely that you will be listened-to and taken seriously
- Abusing spelling and grammar, even if you claim to "know better" and are just doing it for shorthand, perpetuates bad form to others. The more they see spelling and grammar misused in the "real world", the more the wrong ways get ingrained in their head and the more-likely they are to make those same mistakes themselves and not "know better".

Hence why I made this page:
http://vtbsd.net/english/

i dont have a problem with not using proper grammar most of the time as long as you dont look retarded or try to use proper grammar and do it incorrectly.

it should be used more. When people write with incorrect spellings and with terrible grammar it bothers me. They need to improve. But perfect grammar isn't neccessary. As long as I don't need to decipher the words, I'm ok.

I will automatically judge whether I'll get on with you or not by your grammar. Sorry folks, but you need to figure out the impossible rules of applying their, they're and there, and yes, I am anal, thanks for that, Adam.

Another thing, I won't read your post if you have incorrect paragraphing, because my eyes are too lazy to process that crap, that means Tacos, I haven't read anything you have said, my eyes don't agree to torture.

My speech, however, is horrendous, how about that!

Frogger said:
I never thought you'd ask!
;)

We might have differing views on some specific things, and I might be ridiculously opinionated, but I'm not a bad person, honest. :D And I actually don't hate you.

I tend to judge on peoples grammar. now mine isn't the best because of my dyslexia but i give it a try. i throw in a few lol's and imo's here and there but I'm not perfect.

I think what it is down to today is the laziness of the younger generations. Look at your modern browsers, it's got inbuilt spelling checkers. sentence structure is something that everyone should know to a minimum. mine probably isn't perfect every time. But people should try more often. especially if your trying to make a point, it certainly helps convey your message.

Frogger said:
I will automatically judge whether I'll get on with you or not by your grammar. Sorry folks, but you need to figure out the impossible rules of applying their, they're and there, and yes, I am anal, thanks for that, Adam.

Another thing, I won't read your post if you have incorrect paragraphing, because my eyes are too lazy to process that crap, that means Tacos, I haven't read anything you have said, my eyes don't agree to torture.

:lol: Haha, you make me smile.

I believe that using proper grammar and sentence structure is not necessarily a must, but it really is considerate to the other people reading what you are saying. It just makes it a whole lot easier to read, as well as makes you appear more intelligent/competent.

I am somewhat like Emma when it comes to reading posts with terrible grammar. I will tend to skim through posts that are huge run-on sentences, or the lack of punctuation and capitalization. Though if your post is structured properly then I will read all of it.

There is one thing I have a major issue with, and that is spelling, I mean come on people. The site spell checks for you, and yet you still spell things wrong. That is the one thing that will make me ignore your posts.

Frogger said:

1) No comma between that and Adam.

2) Period, not comma between crap and Tacos.

3) You need to relearn what constitutes a paragraph.

sremick said:
;)

We might have differing views on some specific things, and I might be ridiculously opinionated, but I'm not a bad person, honest. :D And I actually don't hate you.

I actually really like you. xD

Gaz said:
I tend to judge on peoples grammar. now mine isn't the best because of my dyslexia but i give it a try. i throw in a few lol's and imo's here and there but I'm not perfect.

Wow, I had absolutely no idea you were dyslexic. I like reading what you write.

Blueovalboy said:
Haha, you make me smile.

I am somewhat like Emma when it comes to reading posts with terrible grammar. I will tend to skim through posts that are huge run-on sentences, or the lack of punctuation and capitalization. Though if your post is structured properly then I will read all of it.

There is one thing I have a major issue with, and that is spelling, I mean come on people. The site spell checks for you, and yet you still spell things wrong. That is the one thing that will make me ignore your posts.

If you have a sentence that will make my eyes run a virtual marathon, there is no way in hell I am reading it.

I do notice Yankee grammar, but I just dismiss it and spit on their kind. :)

1) No comma between that and Adam.

2) Period not comma between crap and Tacos.

3) You need to relearn what constitutes a paragraph.

Indeecated a pause in my ever so domeenant oienglish accent, deary.

Frogger said:
If you have a sentence that will make my eyes run a virtual marathon, there is no way in hell I am reading it.

Kinda like this one???.....

Frogger said:

You should really make sure you have correct grammar in the post ragging on people about grammar. To me, this is a prime example of how the attitude behind the words precede the wording and the grammar.

Check before you wreck. And don vex pon such wee tings.

Back