Your Views on Proper Grammar?

Chewy said:
I don't mind when people use improper grammar as long as I still understand what they are saying.

Ok, take two examples:

Example A said:
It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen. Winston Smith, his chin nuzzled into his breast in an effort to escape the vile wind, slipped quickly through the glass doors of Victory Mansions, though not quickly enough to prevent a swirl of gritty dust from entering along with him.

The hallway smelt of boiled cabbage and old rag mats. At one end of it a coloured poster, too large for indoor display, had been tacked to the wall. It depicted simply an enormous face, more than a metre wide: the face of a man of about forty-five, with a heavy black moustache and ruggedly handsome features. Winston made for the stairs. It was no use trying the lift. Even at the best of times it was seldom working, and at present the electric current was cut off during daylight hours. It was part of the economy drive in preparation for Hate Week. The flat was seven flights up, and Winston, who was thirty-nine and had a varicose ulcer above his right ankle, went slowly, resting several times on the way. On each landing, opposite the lift-shaft, the poster with the enormous face gazed from the wall. It was one of those pictures which are so contrived that the eyes follow you about when you move. BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU, the caption beneath it ran.

Example B said:
IT WAS A BRIGHT COLD DAY IN APRIL AND DA CLOX W3R3 STRIKNG THIRTEN!1!!1!! OMG WTF WINS2N SMITH HIS CHIN NUZLAD IN2 HIS BRAAST IN AN 3FORT 2 ESCAEP TEH VIEL WIND SLIP3D QUIKLEY THROUGH TEH GLAS DORS OF VIC2RY MANSIONS THOUGH NOT QUIKLEY 3NOUGH 2 PR3V3NT A SWIRL OF GRITY DUST FROM 3NT3RNG ALONG WIT HIM
THE!11!1!11! OMG HALWAY SMELT OF BOIELD CABAEG AND OLD RAG MATS!!11!! OMG WTF LOL AT ONE AND OF IT A COLOURED POSTER 2 LARGE FOR INDOR DISPLAY HAD BAN TAKED 2 TEH WAL!1111! OMG WTF LOL IT DEPICTAD SIMPLEY AN ENORMOS FAEC MOR3 THAN A MATRA WIED DA FAEC OF A MAN OF ABOUT FORTY-FIEV WIT A HEAVY BLAK MOSTACHE AND RUG3DLEY HANDSOME FAATUR3S!1!!1!!1! WTF LOL WINS2N MAED FOR DA STARES!1!!1! OMG WTF LOL IT WAS NO UES TRYNG DA LIFT!1!1111 WTF EV3N AT DA BST OF TIEMS IT WAS SELDOM WORKNG AND AT PR3SENT DA ALECTRIC CURENT WAS CUT OF DURNG DAYLIGHT HOURS!11!1!1! WTF LOL IT WAS PART OF DA ACONOMY DRIEV IN PREPARATION FOR HAET WEK!11!1 WTF TEH FLAT WAS SAVAN FLIGHTS UP AND WINS2N WHO WAS THIRTY-NIEN AND HAD A VARICOSE ULCER ABOVE HIS RIGHT ANKLE WENT SLOWLEY RESTNG SEVARAL TIEMS ON DA WAY!!!1!!!! WTF ON AACH LANDNG OPOSIET TEH LIFT-SHAFT TEH POSTAR WIT DA ENORMOS FAEC GAEZD FROM DA WAL!!1!!11 OMG WTF LOL IT WAS ON3 OF THOS3 PICTURAS WHICH R SO CONTRIEVD TAHT TEH EYES FOLOW U ABOUT WHAN U MOVE!1!11 LOL BIG BROTH3R SI WATCHNG U DA CAPTION BNEATH IT RAN
!11!!1!1! OMG LOL

1) Can you understand Example B?
2) Which would you rather read?

sremick said:
Ok, take two examples:

1) Can you understand Example B?
2) Which would you rather read?

Sorry, I meant as long as I can easily understand it. I don't want to have to spend time translating gibberish, but I don't mind grammatical errors which don't interfere with my understanding of the post.

Chewy said:
I don't mind grammatical errors which don't interfere with my understanding of the post.
I mind even errors like misuse of there/their/they're. It slows down my reading because my mind immediately notices the grammatical mistake and pauses to compensate.

This is why language abuse is rude.

Ashwii00 said:
I never knew this thread was going to explode like it did.

Hahaha, me either! I just considered it a shot in the dark! :lol:

Sremick shows one of the best examples this thread has to offer in my opinion.
(Not sarcasm)

Actually Rach, it didn't start about me. I was just following Jam.

I thought I had enough analogies on other aspects of life. And in Tyler's words, it comes down to respect of the reader. If you don't feel like respecting your peers, perhaps you'll look at it in a different light if you know your future whatever is reading what you say?

surfinrach90 said:
Oh god, this thread got really sad while I was gone.

Now getting girlfriends have come into the whole discussion about grammar o_O Brawny we all know you can spell, and you don't like it when people don't, oh and your internet girlfriend can spell too and she also doesn't like it when people don't spell things right either. Also waw, your STILL bringing your relationship into every single thing you can.. yes you're clever, yes your besotted with her. Everybody knows this now, yes?
you are = you're

...and some punctuation couldn't hurt.

Hahah, I only just realised that was about me.

Yes it's my second language, so I can get away with it :sick:

Aussie is my first language does that count?
some people say we should talk like we speak does that mean i should type with a lisp? honestly if you think that highly enough that you can't read a post because it doesn't have a ' you need to slow your life down and take some time out to realize that their are some people in life that arnt as good as you but their opinion has just as much meaning as yours does.. please don't correct my grammar as i couldn't really give a toss if you like it or not but if you THAT much time on your hands you should take up a new hobby?
if you have read my post and understood it the first time around do tell me I'm interested in how much people have respect for people who arnt as skilled as them are... i have respect for everyone even if their skills arnt up to par

If we really typed like how we spoke then every other sentence would be full of 'erms' and all that. Here, you don't need to make those pauses like fillers because the reader already has your attention...

The whole reason they're cut out in plays and such is because no one would be able to understand it. My English teacher did show me a study somewhere, but I've probably thrown it away.

It's the same thing with grammar.

One problem in your logic, Toomstone. It took me 3 read-throughs to understand that wall of BLUE text. >_<

Brawny said:
One problem in your logic, Toomstone. It took me 3 read-throughs to understand that wall of BLUE text. >_<

Go get glasses then. It was perfectly readable.

Back