Zelda looks horrible on my HDTV

Jman500

WiiChat Member
Dec 13, 2007
At home when I had my wii on a sdtv, zelda looked beautiful. Now im here in college and with a new hdtv and it looks like crap, pixelated and blurry.

Is there any way to fix this? Different settings on either my wii or tv? Would buying component cables help at all?

On my wii I have it set to 16:9, should I set it back to standard?

Yeah I just got a new HDTV as well and now Wii games don't look as good as on non-hdtvs. Component cables didn't make any noticeable difference for me either. However, I guess I got used to it pretty quickly. Hey, it could be worse..

It can depend a lot on how well the TV can upscale 480p to the TV's native resolution.

Well my tv is saying its coming out at 480i. How would I get it to display at 480p? Do I need the component cables because the box in the wii settings menu is grey and doesnt not allow me to click display in 480p.

You need the component cables to enable the 480P setting. Welcome to the wonderful world of cheap LCD and Plasmas.

Ill go and pick up these cables. Anyone know a cheap place to pick them up.

Hello All!

The display from the Wii games look horrible on the HDTV because the Wii displays all games in 640x480 resolution. Your HDTV's native resolution is a lot higher than that, so it has to upscale the 480p resolution to it's native resolution. Hence, there is no one-to-one pixel mapping from game to screen pixel. It will looks that way on all HDTVs. The best bet is to have an older CRT TV which will display the 480i resolution (480p if component is used). It will be one-to-one mapping. I'm glad I left my old 27" TV for my Wii..

Back