Zelda Twilight Princess, Classic Controller.. yes?

Colmino

WiiChat Member
Nov 24, 2006
I toyed around with this one briefly at a friend's place. Long enough to realize that the control scheme is never going to grow on me. Fortunately, Nintendo had the laudable foresight to make available for purchase a perfectly acceptable traditional controller, which they call their "Classic Controller". And it plugs straight into the Wiimote, thus becoming a very doable combo for a mix of normal control and the occasional need to aim at something.

Add in the fact that the Gamecube will have little choice but to support a traditional control scheme, and this seems like a no-brainer that I should feel foolish for even asking about.

But... I need to ask. Does Twilight Princess allow one to use a real controller?

Or do I get to wait a little while and pick up the Gamecube version?

And on that note, what might the differences between the two versions be?

You've been mislead. The Classic controller is for the old games that you can buy through the Wii. Called Virtual Console.

No Wii games (right now) support it as far as I know. Super Smash Bros Brawl is the only game that will support GC controller, that I have heard.

That is disappointing.

I wouldn't say I was mislead. Nobody told me Zelda was going to support a normal controller. It just seemed, all things considered, such an obvious option that I am frankly willing to label the developers as situationally braindead. Or maybe so blinded by the potential of their fancy new control scheme that they literally never dreamed that somebody might want to play the game in a traditional mode.

Maybe they can patch the game via an update. I think I will just wait for them to do that.

Colmino said:
That is disappointing.

I wouldn't say I was mislead. Nobody told me Zelda was going to support a normal controller. It just seemed, all things considered, such an obvious option that I am frankly willing to label the developers as situationally braindead. Or maybe so blinded by the potential of their fancy new control scheme that they literally never dreamed that somebody might want to play the game in a traditional mode.

Maybe they can patch the game via an update. I think I will just wait for them to do that.

You are in the minority. The new control scheme is a hit.

im_a_super_smash_bro said:
just a question.........can you use the vc controller for gamecube games?

No, you can't.

And just one question: HOW do you not like the control scheme? It feels so much better, and more natural than the GCN control scheme...

Homesrfan said:
No Wii games (right now) support it as far as I know. Super Smash Bros Brawl is the only game that will support GC controller, that I have heard.
Wrong, Dragonball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi Supports the Wiimote AND the GC controller.

and seriously, how has it not grown on you?
O.O
Pretty sweet if you ask me, but thats my opinion....and possibly almost everyone elses.
I probably couldn't go back to a GC controller now seeing how much more comfortable the Wiimote is compared to it.
oh well.

Homesrfan said:
You've been mislead. The Classic controller is for the old games that you can buy through the Wii. Called Virtual Console.

As stated above Dragon Ball supports and so does the Grim Adventures of BIlly and mandy

Sam_Harris said:
As stated above Dragon Ball supports and so does the Grim Adventures of BIlly and mandy
I didn't even know this. I guess that's because those are 2 titles I'm not looking forward to.

vagrant said:
You are in the minority. The new control scheme is a hit.
No offense, chief, but the "majority" you so fondly affix yourself to is not relevant to my concerns. And I bet the new control scheme would have been an even bigger hit had it not come complete with a small but undeniable bit of latency.

Blackjack said:
and seriously, how has it not grown on you?
This is not easy to answer. Have you ever played a RPG that let you control the rotation of the (third person) camera, but only in one direction - opposite of how you like? That's sort of how I feel using the Wiimote/chuck combo.

I would say I am used to performing all the fine control with my left thumb (I do happen to be left-handed) and less precise tasks (buttons, camera) with my right. But the Wiimote demands two left hands if I want the same level of control. I can't figure out which hand to use to hold which stick. This is a problem right-handers are not likely to encounter. They'll be using their right hand for the Wiimote for 100% of their games, and it is no transition at all for them to place that nunchuck's thumb pad in their left hand since they've been doing that for years. In essence, what the control scheme demands from me is tantamount to learning to use a mouse (with equal effectiveness) with my non-primary hand. This is difficult, uncomfortable, and - in light of how it could have been solved with the same controller support that the GC version will have - stupid.

Colmino said:
No offense, chief, but the "majority" you so fondly affix yourself to is not relevant to my concerns. And I bet the new control scheme would have been an even bigger hit had it not come complete with a small but undeniable bit of latency.

Get your **** fixed, because I don't know what latency you are referring to.

In essence, what the control scheme demands from me is tantamount to learning to use a mouse (with equal effectiveness) with my non-primary hand. This is difficult, uncomfortable, and - in light of how it could have been solved with the same controller support that the GC version will have - stupid.

I have an amazing idea, switch the hand that the wiimote/nunchuk are in.

If it wasn't for the pointer aim, I would be disappointed with the controls. I wouldn't say there's noticable latency but the hand movements you do are seen digitally to the game, they replace the push of a button. This game was mainly made for Gamecube. I expect in the next Zelda, designed for Wii, your specific hand motions will manipulate the way link swings the sword. I prefer these new controls but theres h u g e room for improvement.

Back