4:3 vs. 16:9 playback

mutorq

WiiChat Member
Nov 1, 2006
My roommate has an HDTV (16:9 widescreen), but I'm moving soon and my TV is standard (4:3).

If Wii games are developed for widescreen, how will they look on my 4:3 TV? Black bars, or will the sides be cut off, or will the image fit to screen (distortion?), or different modes? Is there a conclusive answer to this?

Thanks...

Picture1-1.png

Gonna put it plain and simple. Not gonna get into ANY detail.
A lot of people don't have widescreen/HD TV's. It'll be fine. Nintendo's not idiotic.
Oh, and...
mutorq said:
bump bump bump
We considder that spam. *Nod nod* Don't do it again.

Why can't you be more clear than that? Are you feeling a little grumpy tonight :(

mutorq said:
Why can't you be more clear than that? Are you feeling a little grumpy tonight :(
Just tired. I'll explain it so it makes sense, but I'm not gonna get technical tonight, 'cause my brain isn't working right.
Nearly half of America's population are without a widescreen TV. Though the Wii supports widescreen (16:9), it can also be set to 4:3 for a regular TV. *Nod nod*

ok, but I would appreciate a more direct explanation if you can provide it sometime. p e a c e

on widescreen it shows extra on the sides, on regular tv's, it won't be as wide, and they will cut off part of the side, shortening the hud respectively

pizzaluvr said:
on widescreen it shows extra on the sides, on regular tv's, it won't be as wide, and they will cut off part of the side, shortening the hud respectively

Ka-WRONG!.. You can set it to standard TV view, so it'll work perfectly.

mutorq said:
ok, but I would appreciate a more direct explanation if you can provide it sometime. p e a c e
...Plain and simple... THE PICTURE WILL BE JUST LIKE WATCHING TV ON A REGULAR TV IF YOU SET IT TO 4:3 (Standard TV setting, for slow people)!... That's pretty simple right there. Don't be a retard next time. =D

Kumoriken said:
Ka-WRONG!.. You can set it to standard TV view, so it'll work perfectly.

...Plain and simple... THE PICTURE WILL BE JUST LIKE WATCHING TV ON A REGULAR TV IF YOU SET IT TO 4:3 (Standard TV setting, for slow people)!... That's pretty simple right there. Don't be a retard next time. =D

Actually I don't think you're gettin' it bud. The image must be changed in some way: 1) it either has to be compressed or chopped when going from 16:9 to 4:3 (if the game was developed for 16:9) or 2) stretched to fit 16:9 (if developed for 4:3) or 3) developed in two native resolutions (which I hope is what you're trying to say...that would make everyone happy but that doesn't seem likely)

Last edited:
mutorq said:
Actually I don't think you're gettin' it bud. The image must be changed in some way: 1) it either has to be compressed or chopped when going from 16:9 to 4:3 (if the game was developed for 16:9) or 2) stretched to fit 16:9 (if developed for 4:3) or 3) developed in two native resolutions (which I hope is what you're trying to say...that would make everyone happy but that doesn't seem likely)
And yes, I was trying to say #3. It's not just the games, though. It's the Wii itself...

That can't be; the Wii can't change the output without adjusting the picture. It would have to be developed in two native formats.

Argghh..this is frustrating.

Back