Affirmative Action?

Brawny

Anglophobiphile
Dec 15, 2006
Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Wii Online Code
5385-4035-7079-0395
Yeah, you inspired it. Plus it's something else I hate.

Wikipedia said:
The term affirmative action refers to policies that take gender, race, or ethnicity into account in an attempt to promote equal opportunity. The focus of such policies ranges from employment and public contracting to educational outreach and health programs (such as breast or prostate cancer screenings). The impetus towards affirmative action is twofold: to maximize the benefits of diversity in all levels of society, and to redress disadvantages due to overt, institutional, or involuntary discrimination.

Discuss.

I'm torn on this issue to be honest.

On the one hand, taking jobs from one person to give it to another based on race, gender, disability, age, sexuality etc... is not exactly moral.

However, the spirit of Affirmative action is to try to break down social segregation.

Of course, complaining about affirmative action denies the possibility that out of a choice of two equally qualified people, that the job could be given to the person in the less privellged position. So, if a white person and a black person were to be equally qualified for a job, just because the black person got the job, doesn't mean that it was due to affirmative action (say for example, the black person had a personal quality that was slightly better suited to the job). However, it seems that people against affirmative action in this instance might argue that it was just because of the person's race, but in actual fact are missing the point completely.

On the whole idea of having a broader spectrum of people working in the same company, it'd probably be better of image-wise.

So yeah, it's a dicey subject area to be honest. Of course, we wouldn't need affirmative action if society were already egalitarian.

Im against it. You don't tackle discrimination with more discrimation.

Amen. Plus, it does weird things to people who don't need it.

I'd like to think it was my academic record and my entrance essay that got me into a prestigious university, not the fact that I checked the "Asian and Pacific Islander" box on the application.

Amen. Plus, it does weird things to people who don't need it.

I'd like to think it was my academic record and my entrance essay that got me into a prestigious university, not the fact that I checked the "Asian and Pacific Islander" box on the application.
How do you know it wasn't your academic record and entrance essay?

Surely the presumption of "I got in because of my ethniciy" is just that, a presumption.

Unless you've been told that is why you got in. In which case, I could see your point.

Napalmbrain said:
I'm against it. You don't tackle discrimination with more discrimation.
Actually, fighting fire with fire sometimes works. Besides, it's more of a question of whether you let the descrimination continue or you try to tackle it (and the only way of tackling it is to establish descrimination, which would counteract the original descrimination). In the end, I think the reason Affirmative action exists is because of the desire for an egalitarian society, rather than one that perpetuates descrimination.

But then I could be wrong...

How do you know it wasn't your academic record and entrance essay?

Surely the presumption of "I got in because of my ethniciy" is just that, a presumption.

Unless you've been told that is why you got in. In which case, I could see your point.

Actually, fighting fire with fire sometimes works. Besides, it's more of a question of whether you let the descrimination continue or you try to tackle it (and the only way of tackling it is to establish descrimination, which would counteract the original descrimination). In the end, I think the reason Affirmative action exists is because of the desire for an egalitarian society, rather than one that perpetuates descrimination.

But then I could be wrong...

I just think that it's coming to a time where it's gotten back to equal, and it's time to give it up now, like labor unions.

And I don't know if it had an effect or not. I'm pretty sure it does all the time, just not drastically. I still wish it wasn't there at all though.

I take the Morgan Freeman attitude to racism

[ame]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=FO214IFRW1M[/ame]

Entrance to educational institutions should be based on nothing more than grades and extra curriculars.

I can see how Affirmative Action was necessary just as the historical segregation was ending, but now? I don't really think it should be implemented anymore...UNLESS it's blatantly obvious that employers/admissions reps are only granting members of their own race spots in their company/school.

Random side note, but I notice that immigrant-owned businesses are less likely to hire Caucasians than North American owned businesses are to hire visible minorities. This is especially evident in the Asian and Middle Eastern communities.

I'm actually writing my Junior Thesis on this.

I am strongly against it. Affirmative action was certainly once an applicable program, but now it's nothing short of reverse discrimination.

Entrance to educational institutions should be based on nothing more than grades and extra curriculars.

I can see how Affirmative Action was necessary just as the historical segregation was ending, but now? I don't really think it should be implemented anymore...UNLESS it's blatantly obvious that employers/admissions reps are only granting members of their own race spots in their company/school.

Random side note, but I notice that immigrant-owned businesses are less likely to hire Caucasians than North American owned businesses are to hire visible minorities. This is especially evident in the Asian and Middle Eastern communities.

It's so much more civil when we agree.

I'm against it. You don't tackle discrimination with more discrimation.

Agree.
Extremely tired of people yelling it out when they were declined of a job. It does absolutely nothing but cause more racial problems.

The Metropolitan Police Force (the force that operates around London) uses it. I have a mate who is attempting to become a police officer- however, due to the fact that he is neither black nor gay, he has to wait longer than everyone else.

It's despicable.

The Metropolitan Police Force (the force that operates around London) uses it. I have a mate who is attempting to become a police officer- however, due to the fact that he is neither black nor gay, he has to wait longer than everyone else.

It's despicable.

Wait...they prefer gay police?

Don't Ask Don't Tell doesn't apply in Britain at all?

Back