Best way to improve.

Red_Link

WiiChat Member
Jun 30, 2011
Illinois
I am not new to Brawl, but I'm really only good with a select few characters, and I am wanting to expand my character roster. Can anyone tell me the fastest way to improve your skill whithout the help of friends.

I'd say just go offline make free for all with all level 9 CPUs and choose your character and brawl over and over(or put them on all same team) if you do terrible then put them lower and lower.

Hmm... Yes I will try that. Just so you know, I'm not a noob or anything. I usually have friends that I battle to gain experience, but that hasn't happened in a while. However, soon I am going to brawl with them, but I just want to have a new character to show off to them, and that requires fast training. So the faster the better.

I'd say just go offline make free for all with all level 9 CPUs and choose your character and brawl over and over(or put them on all same team) if you do terrible then put them lower and lower.

For getting to know a character, a 1v1 with JUST one lv. 9 is a good idea. Free for alls as practice can encourage smash spam and, in general, less tactical moves. This is generally because we make habit of practices that make us win, right? If wildly attacking wins in FFAs (it really does, lol), we learn to wildly attack in a 1v1 versus our friends. That's a ticket to getting worse, really.

However, for getting BETTER at a character you're already real good at, fighting CPUs of any level is generally a bad idea. CPUs fight with perfect reaction time, while being really predictable off stage, and repetitive. Just like with FFAs, I found that excessive practice with CPUs will really kill your fighting style. If you need to play daily and only have CPUs to fight, that's fine. But never rely on CPUs for improving an already solid fighting style with any character.

Anywho, instead of debunking everyone's training theories like a douche, time for some advice. =P

Of course, practicepracticepractice. Play with as many people around your level as possible. Noone you're going to 3-stock, noone who's going to 3-stock you. If you play with people around your level and are struggling to win, you'll begin to weed out strategies and habits that make you more inclined to lose, in trade for ones that'l make you win. As you make your way up the "skill tree", as I call it, you weed out more and more of these bad gameplay roots. The only way to get better, it to play people close to your skill level, simply put. Nothing substitutes experience.

That, and literally learn about your character. Reading hard facts no amount of experimentation and practice can get you will let you learn special techniques for your character, like Toon Link's arrow landing cancel, or any character's DACUS timing. Knowledge can be turned to power in Brawl, no doubt.

Generally playing against people of your skill level is good yes. The only issue is they're only as good as you as stated. Brawling with those better. Im not saying you should scrap that idea. Im just saying that if those people don't advance WITh you after a while, you wont learn anything from them. Not to say you should completely erase them from your friend list, just make sure your CHALLENGING your self to get better. You'll learn more staying outside (BUT NOT TOO FAR) your comfort zone. At the end of the day, just make sure your having fun.

Also go online and watch others brawl to get ideas.

I HIGHLY recommend Sirlins Smash tutorial that can be found on the nintendo channel under Brawl. It was super informative and took my game to a whole new level. He talks about DACUS, Teching, Perfect Sheilding (my favorite technique), and other useful things.

Last edited:
Generally playing against people of your skill level is good yes. The only issue is they're only as good as you as stated. Brawling with those better. Im not saying you should scrap that idea. Im just saying that if those people don't advance WITh you after a while, you wont learn anything from them. Not to say you should completely erase them from your friend list, just make sure your CHALLENGING your self to get better. You'll learn more staying outside (BUT NOT TOO FAR) your comfort zone. At the end of the day, just make sure your having fun.

Also go online and watch others brawl to get ideas.

I HIGHLY recommend Sirlins Smash tutorial that can be found on the nintendo channel under Brawl. It was super informative and took my game to a whole new level. He talks about DACUS, Teching, Perfect Sheilding (my favorite technique), and other useful things.

That is why I stated around your skill level, both above and below. It's impossible to pinpoint someone's true skill level, it's something subjected to opinions alone. And anything without raw facts is, of course, not stable and able to be truly categorized. Everything bolded is a summarization of my last paragraph, really. :lol:

I need to 100% disagree with watching people Brawl. Most strategies they try work because they're n00bs; 90% of the Toon Link you see while watching With Anyone repeatedly attempt to D-air their foe, and it works because the most common player online is a complete bigot, just as the Toon Link player described, lol. Not to mention the odds of encountering taunt parties, campers, and team battles on top of this means watching Brawls online is largely a waste of time, IMO.

Unless you meant watching online as in youtube, and the pros only. If that's the case, nevermind bro. xD

I believe I've seen this "Sirlin's Smash" tutorial business on the Nintendo channel at one point. He teaches the basics of going beyond being a basic player, essentially. Nothing special, but important mechanics. Anyone who's a pro has 100% no use for this, but anyone striving to be a pro 100% needs to know the stuff these tutorials teach. I'll agree with this being a high recommendation for anyone looking to get better through knowledge of the game.

I will look into this tutorial really soon. I'm definitely not a pro, but I'm not bad either. I'm just stuck in the middle. Hopefully this tutorial will supply the information that I need to become a pro, along with a lot of practice of course. My ultimate goal is to master, or at least become skilled, with all the characters. As my close friend, and a pro at brawl, once said, "Only when you can beat me with every single character can you truly claim victory over me." Knowing his skill, I doubt that will ever happen.

My ultimate goal is to master, or at least become skilled, with all the characters. As my close friend, and a pro at brawl, once said, "Only when you can beat me with every single character can you truly claim victory over me." Knowing his skill, I doubt that will ever happen.

Your friend is a pompous dick in terms of Brawl, then. :lol: Even I'VE never beaten someone my own level with every single character. I've only managed to beat someone with every single character with people half my skill level or lower; and in that case, they're the people I 4-stock with my mains. :lol:

It's a great goal if you believe the sky's the limit; but if you're not shooting for the stars and want a realistic goal, this isn't the best one, lol. Take it from a former pro that this is one incredibly distant goal.

And even if it is possible (it certainly is possible; I've done it), I wouldn't recommend it. Becoming dangerous with every character is something only someone deserving the title "Brawl guru" can do, sure. But, it affects your overall potential with your mains. Becoming an impressive player with all characters means you need to focus on everyone. Your general skill will rise exponentially, but if you don't focus on at least a small bunch of characters instead of everyone, general skill won't carry you to victory over foes above your skill level. Skill means nothing if you can't use a character themselves skillfully, hence why we have mains. Mastering your mains should always be a priority, IMO. Otherwise, you simply won't master them.

An art unmastered is one that needs infinite sharpening. The dull blade mastered and swung with diligence is useless, if it cannot pierce a foe's armor.

Of course, "or at least become skilled" as you said, is entirely reasonable. :D So all the junk above isn't as absolute as I may of put it. But such a goal will require dedication.

No thanks, I prefer Link or Zelda. Now that is a challenge to master. Meta Knight is just way too cheap for me! TORNADO!!! Now that just makes me frustrated.

I was once within grasp of mastering Link, but unfortunately, due to unexpected events, I was unable to play Brawl for a long time, and lost some of my skill... :( However, I am now on a comeback, and my skill with both Link and Zelda (my two mains), is growing. In fact, later today I will be having a Brawl marathon with my friends.

OIf COURSE when I say watch videos I mean stuff like EVO or other TOURNAMENT VIDS. Don't just look up random stuff like "Me and my friend playing SSBB". Search for A-list stuff. I watched EVO brawl clips and learn character specific strategies when it comes to space control, item use, and cliff hogging that helped up my game.

Hmm...

I suggest using Meta Knight.
TORNADO. TORNADO. [insert a cheap combo here], then repeat.
And grabs. Lot's of grabs.

Facepalm-3.gif

OIf COURSE when I say watch videos I mean stuff like EVO or other TOURNAMENT VIDS. Don't just look up random stuff like "Me and my friend playing SSBB". Search for A-list stuff. I watched EVO brawl clips and learn character specific strategies when it comes to space control, item use, and cliff hogging that helped up my game.

That's the way to do it, then. Nevermind me. :lol: Tourny clips aren't the only things to watch, though. Unless you're skipping around to find the characters you main, that's a lot of stuff to process, both good and bad. It's a good idea to find the channels of pro players that win said tournaments like Evo, and watch their Brawl videos. Top of the line players like Fatal are the best possible videos to watch if they play your mains.

Back