Broken Wii...should I replace dvd drive or buy new one...still want my online data?

plumb{n8r}

WiiChat Member
May 20, 2010
Oregon
Hey all...new to this forum, but wanted your expert opinions. My daughter recently put a dvd into my wii while it was runnning a game, and hence, broke the dvd drive. After purchasing a triwing screwdriver (thanks Nintendo for that stupid idea) and spending a few hours tinkering with the thing it is verifiably shot.
So do I buy a new wii (the black ones are nice)
or buy a dvd drive for $50.00 (and hope that is the problem)

the only real issue is if I buy a new wii, are all my online records lost. I'm a level 8 prestige Modern Warfare player, and usually don't care about these things...but that was 12 days of honest/no cheating stats. I don't want to start all over on a new wii. Is this transferable on an SD card?

If I've killed you in the past, please don't hold it against me...I play honest without camping or sniping or glitching (although the occasional noob tube isn't out of the question).

but your new so it's okay and I would suggest buying the new Black Wii they look pretty sick.

Last edited by a moderator:
I suggest sending your unit into Nintendo for repair. I believe out of warranty repairs are still a flat rate of $85. It avoids any further damage to your Wii, and you will keep any information exclusive to your console.

Back