Capcom Ups Full Year Forecast on Game Sales

T3kNi9e

Conquistador
Dec 1, 2007
Augusta, GA
Capcom has upped its full year financial forecast on the back of better-than-expected software sales, while suffering a drop in Q3 operating income.

resident_evil_4_wii.jpg

Resident Evil publisher Capcom has reported that net sales during the third quarter ended December 31, 2007, rose 4.8 percent to 51.7 billion yen. However, operating income decreased 8.2 percent to 6.1 billion yen, while net income fell 17.8 percent to 3.57 billion yen.

Capcom said that Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles had achieved “robust sales, particularly in the US and Europe”, during the third quarter. In addition, Monster Hunter Freedom 2, released a year ago, has sold more than 1.5 million copies to date in Japan.

Wii exclusive Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure and Sengoku Basara 2 Heroes for Wii and PS2 were also noted as highlights, although results were offset by “sluggish growth” for We Love Golf and Mega Man Star Force 2.

During the nine months to December 31, 2007, Capcom reported game division revenues leapt 23 percent to 30.9 billion yen. Operating profit rose 38 percent to 6.04 billion yen during the same period, leading the publisher to raise its full year revenue and operating profit forecasts.

The Osaka, Japan-based publisher expects operating profit to rise to 11.5 billion yen, representing a 15 percent increase on its previous guidance. It also forecast that net sales and net income will rise to 81.6 billion yen and 62 billion yen respectively for the full year.

Source

Looks like all those articles about 3rd partys still failing were wrong. Capcom is doing better and they expect their sales to be higher this year.

Here's an article someone wrote about it:

When news like the bombing of No More Heroes in Japan hits the internet, every blogster, journalist and FUD slinger around takes the opportunity to get on their soapbox and pronounce the Wii another ‘failure’ for 3rd party game sales. Yet when positive news about 3rd party sales on the Wii comes along it’s either brushed aside with a myriad of excuses or the haters stick their heads in the sand and act like it didn’t happen.

Well, yet another story has surfaced that you won’t see on the blogs of the Anti-Wii folks or the front pages of the game sites who are far too content perpetrating the misconception that the Wii is just another N64/GameCube for 3rd parties.

zackandwikipromopiczo8.jpg

In a recent Capcom report, the developer of several acclaimed Wii games in it’s first year announces continued success on Nintendo’s new console as Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles, Sengoku Basara 2 Heroes (Devil Kings) and Zack & Wiki join Resident Evil 4 on the list of Capcom games that have seen “robust sales, particularly in the US and Europe”.

So while the trolls in sheep clothing around the internet who said RE4 only sold well because it was “in a big name franchise” or “a Cube port” frantically search for a reason to dismiss this new info, the rest of us who don’t hate (or feel threatened by) the Wii or aren’t simply misinformed, can enjoy yet another success story for Wii 3rd party sales.

By the way, if you aren’t amongst the large group of people who bought RE:UC and Zack & Wiki, then do yourself a favor and pick up both of these excellent Wii games and enjoy them with the rest of us!

I was one of those people who didn't know. I always thought 3rd parties were failing miserable from the articles people posted. I guess it wasn't as bas as people thought.

That's awesome - hopefully that will mean no financially related delays on anything under development - I've GOT to have me some Resident Evil 5 soon.

Man if Zaki and Wiki was a mega man game with the same engine it would have sold like crazy! Oh yeah Sengoku Basara 2 Heroes (Devil Kings) is good really good!

Not to be a downer, but it's one article, and with PR buzzwords replacing actual numbers. But it's nice to hear at least something positive, even if I personally think it's a little suspect.

EDIT: Before I get jumped on, I'm not saying the game hasn't broken even, or that it hasn't made any money - which I'm sure it has - but compared to other lesser titles that have sold 10x the amount, it's still not good enough IMO. If it wasn't for Europe, the game would have bombed. So I think we all owe Europe a thanks for recognizing it as a great game, and more than likely funding a sequel.

Last edited:
Capcom - Worldwide sales figures: Q1-Q3

- Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles (Wii): 950,000 units sold
- Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros’ Treasure (Wii): 300,000 units sold

Pretty good if I say so myself.

Link

Wow, has it sold ~200k in Europe or has the US market actually recognized Z&W as a good game, and finally have gone out and bought it?

From what I read, the game barely sold 50k units in the first week of release in the US, as compared to the ~75k in Europe in almost half that time. I'm not even going to talk about Japan, heh.

Wow, thats great news and those are great numbers.
The producer said Zack and Wiki has a good shot at a sequel, I guess now we know why. Thats good though, both Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles and Zack and Wiki are great games.

Back