Codemasters CEO Doubts Wii Sustainability, Envisions 'Wii 2'

Well I interperet this guys article something like this: "Wii owners are old and leaving the gaming market soon, no sustainability there. Nintendo makes really good games, but we don't feel like it because that means we will compete directly with Nintendo. The Wii is technilogocally inferior (although all the mainstream gaming consoles have been weaker compared to there competition) and will require a more powerful console to compete with the more expensive consoles because they will come back from the current market trend."

I feel that this guy is part of a growing minority in the game development world. This belief that all the good games can't be played on the Wii is stupid, and eventually the people that make the decisions (investors and publishers) will start telling them to design games for a system with the largest install base.

Rod Cousens is an idiot. He complains that Nintendo always dominates software sales on its own platforms but when you look at Codemasters releases on Wii it is obvious that they only put in maybe 1% of the effort that Nintendo does into their games. So its no suprise that their games dont sell really.

I emailed Codemasters a few months ago and asked if they had any plans to release any decent games on the Wii rather than just doing a lazy port every now and then. I even suggested a few games that could be big sellers in certain regions, such as Brian Lara Cricket in Australia. A customer service guy called Paul replied and said 'that there were no plans for the Wii at the moment but he had passed on my suggestions to their game designers'. Im not holding my breath though.

Honestly if third parties release crap games with no advertising how do they expect them to be big sellers.

Back