Component Cable Question...

Ridewithme38

WiiChat Member
Mar 7, 2007
I know I know use the search...this has been talked about a million times..i just can't find anything on my specific question..

Ok i'm a very very broke college student who bought the Wii because he loved the fact he could get $9-$10 games at gamestop for it(GameCube games) But i still want to get the best picture quality i can get from it...heres my question

I've got my Wii plugged into my DVD/VCR in Input 1 with composite cables(White-red-yellow) but my DVD/VCR is plugged into my TV with Component cables...
DVD/VCR is a Sansui VRDVD4005..(DVD Recorder don't know the resolution it puts out)
TV is a Cheap Insignia 24"(Can't find specifics on 480i or 480p)

So Would i be getting Composite Video Quality or Component Video Quality from this setup...I'm soo confused!

Cool i'll check that thead out...i'm just really poor and hoping the dvd/vcr would sort of upconvert ya know?

I don't even know if my TV can handle 480p or if its a strictly 480i TV

in my experience, whatever system you have, audio, visual, data etc, you can only get a good end product from a good source..... so if your dvd is getting a composite input the output won't ever be component quality. as Raij said, seek out component cables! BUT, some VC content wont work over them so don't ditch the composites just yet......

Heres a confusing question I have on the Component Cables but here goes.
My TV has choices for different scan modes, 'Default', 'Auto', 'Progressive' and '100Hz'. When I select 'Progressive' and use my Wii, it flickers MORE than before (which didnt really flicker at all). My question is, if I get these component cables and put my TV on Progressive will the flicker go away (and have better image quality)? Or is my TV just a piece of ****?
BTW, the signal runs from a Surround Sound decoder, then into the TV, and i think the cables from the decoder to the TV are NOT Component Cables, will this remove any gain I'd have in image quality?
Thanks for any comments...

That seems right Deanis...the component cables give the Wii the ability to output progressive scan video...if you plug the wii in through the component cables on the back of your TV and set the tv for progressive it will look great!
go for it!

What i've been trying to figure out for the past week or so is if my TV can even put out 480P...i've got an insignia IS-TV040922 it does have a component hookup on the back...but i don't think that necessarily means anything..if any of you guys know anything about this TV please let me know...damn manual doesn't tell me anything!

Yer my actual TV doesnt have a Component Input either. Only our Surround Sound Decoder does.

Ridewithme38: That's a conventional standard definition tube TV, that won't work with a progressive scan input.

Deanis: By Surround Sound Decoder I take it you mean it's a receiver. If your connection from the receiver to the TV is composite then it won't work with component from the Wii. If it's HDMI, then it's possible that the receiver can transcode component to HDMI. More details (make & models) about the hardware is needed.

Yer i see your point, and by that it means NO it wont work :(
I COULD get an HDMI cable first tho, mebbe later.

Raij said:
You definitely need to get a set of Wii component cables to get component the whole way through to the TV

For cheap cables, you may try the link in this thread (I haven't tried it)

http://www.wiichat.com/nintendo-wii-chat/19292-component-cables-9-99-shipped.html
I just ordered the cables last friday, I should be getting them tommorrow

I'd say go with componet cables if you are looking for the best image, and for $10, no tax, free shipping, it's an awesome deal, they should work on an SD television, i'll try them on my SD bigscreen sometime, I got them for my HDTV, but I might use it on my SD time by time

lechonlubber said:
Ridewithme38: That's a conventional standard definition tube TV, that won't work with a progressive scan input.

Thanks for the INFO lechonlubber!! you just saved me $10-$40!!

I was wondering the same thing Turtle112 so i looked up the difference between 480i and 480p

I believe i means interlaced which basicly means it 240lines then 1/20th of a second later it kind of adds that next 240lines

and P means Progressive which basicly means it shows all 480lines at once...

And thats all i could figure out..

heres a quote from a random website
"The "i" and "p" refer to interlaced or progressive scanned images as described above. 480i is considered "standard" definition television and is the image we have all enjoyed for well over half a century. With new digital technology this 480i image can result in a very respectable picture quality for the viewer.

Take a 480i image and show both fields simultaneously and you have 480p, or progressive. This is the native format encoded onto a DVD (Digital Versatile Disc). Both 480i and 480p are based upon the standard 525 line NTSC broadcast system."

though the wii is only 480i or p ( cant remember) they might come out with games or upgrades for 720 or even but not likely 1080i or p...cause my dad has a 55" 1080p and i really want to use the wii on there!!!:smilewinkgrin:

man you guys are smart ( or just coppy crap from google:wtf: )

turtle112 said:
if the wii can only go 480i with av cables is 480p with components that big a difference?

Just switching from composite to component will make a big difference...even at 480i. You can see the difference with a DVD player. This is especially true if you have a good quality display. 480p is actually showing double the number of lines per frame. So if you have a display capable of 480p your getting the most you can out of the Wii. There's a comparison on the net somewhere that has pictures of the difference on the Wii. I'll post it when I find them.

Back