Component switch with 1 input and 2 outputs!

iceblade

WiiChat Member
Dec 27, 2006
Does anyone know if such a thing exists? I've searched ebay and I can only find multiple input - 1 output. I want the reverse 1 input - 2 outputs so I can connect my Wii to both my TV and my projector.

Thanks

Last edited:
billcsho said:
Sure. Just search for component video splitter. That's what they use in HDTV show rooms. Is this what you want? Another way would be getting a component to VGA transcoder with either component pass thru or use a VGA splitter. The VGA video splitter is much cheaper than component video splitter if your TV takes VGA signal too. This one may also work for you and allow both component and VGA inputs but it is very pricy. Found an older model on eBay too.
I was thinking about something cheap like this. However this is for one output many inputs. The question is do you think I can use it in the opposite way? (i.e. one input many outputs?) thanx in advance!

It seems that one is just a simple switch box with no electronic parts in it. So it should work. Nevertheless, there are a couple issues. First, the quality of the cable and connectors do not look good at all. You may see a decrease in video quality and defeat the purpose of using component output. Second, the output cable (where you will use for input) has male plugs. You will need to buy connectors for each RCA plug to connect to your Wii. You can easily build something like this with better quality parts and may cost you less.

On a second thought, you may get something even cheaper for that purpose. I thought you want to have both output running at the same time. If you just need a switch box, get a simple AV switch box with red/white/yellow RCA plugs. Search for one that has higher quality ports. Then just use it for your component cable connection. You just need to be consistent in substituting the same color in both input and output side. You should be able to get one for half that price of what you found. For the audio output, you are using your audio system anyway.

Last edited:
iceblade said:
I was thinking about something cheap like this. However this is for one output many inputs. The question is do you think I can use it in the opposite way? (i.e. one input many outputs?) thanx in advance!

Hi

i have that component switcher from electronic entertainment.

with regards to the cables not looking too "good", i can vouch
that there's no degradation in video quality at all. i currently have
my Wii (480p), Samsung HR720 HDD/DVD (576p) and a modded
original xbox (720p) all connected to it.

with regards to it being used the "opposite way", for the sake of
£15 delivered, it might be worth getting one just to butcher it
and change the "male" RCA's to "female" RCA's.

just remember though, that thre is a switch on top which toggles
between 3 devices, so if you intend to display your video output
to two screens at once, you might have to find a way of disabling
the switch.

FR3344LL said:
Hi
i have that component switcher from electronic entertainment.
with regards to the cables not looking too "good", i can vouch
that there's no degradation in video quality at all. i currently have
my Wii (480p), Samsung HR720 HDD/DVD (576p) and a modded
original xbox (720p) all connected to it.

Cool, thanks! I have already ordered it :)

FR3344LL said:
with regards to it being used the "opposite way", for the sake of
£15 delivered, it might be worth getting one just to butcher it
and change the "male" RCA's to "female" RCA's.

That's exactly what I have in mind :)

FR3344LL said:
just remember though, that thre is a switch on top which toggles
between 3 devices, so if you intend to display your video output
to two screens at once, you might have to find a way of disabling
the switch.

That's OK, I need only 1 screen at once so I think it should do the trick

FR3344LL said:
iceblade

with regards to butchering the switcher....Maplin have RCA extender,
it's basically a female / female connector which costs £1.49 iirc.

you would need 3 of them to marry up all of the cables

**edit**

here:- http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?TabID=1&ModuleNo=29732&doy=1m6

I got 1 of these (double) and 3 single RCA female-female for 1.2€ total from a local store :smilewinkgrin:
I'm gonna use the three single ones for picture and the double for audio (5 total) that should do it

If the picture quality is fine with this switch box, it should work for you in the reverse way. It is just a simple switch box.

You could always make your own cable too.:cool:

Back