Do You Know How Many Wii Games Suck?

manred

Animal Collective
Dec 30, 2007
Wherever Fate Takes Me
Wii Online Code
0000-0000-0000-0000
I found this pretty interesting and wanted your guys' opinion on it.

wiireviews.jpg

Next-Gen's Matt Matthews, perhaps the internet's #1 fan of game-related, coloured graphs, has dug through GameRanking's average review scores and discovered something a lot of you could probably have guessed anyways: when you add up all the Wii reviews and average them out, they're a little...awful.

How awful? See above. While every console of the past eight years (sorry Dreamcast) have seen their games average around 69-71%, the average Wii score is only 64%. Which leads to much hypothesizing in the piece about reviewers not "understanding" the Wii, theories on the impact of shovelware and how the Wii is short on AAA titles (Madden 07, for example, is still in the top 10-ranked games for the platform).

The full article has a lot more graphs and charts than just that one, so head on over if you'd like to see/read more.http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=9066&Itemid=2

Source:http://kotaku.com/355812/say-did-you-know-how-many-wii-games-suck

Those graphs are deceptive because they zoom in; they essentially make the Wii review average the baseline. Zoom it out to start at zero and everyone will say 'so what? there's no big difference.' Throw in the fact that the author is basically ignoring the standard of deviation, and you have a bunch of really deceptive graphs. The author does make interesting points, but trying to justify it and fool people with these graphs is kind of low.

IMO the big problem with Wii games right now is that developers are throwing in motion controls even when it doesn't make sense. They feel like they have to because its the selling point of the Wii. They haven't yet realized that simply shaking a Wiimote is not a game. A lot of them are simply cashing in; they know the Wii is 'in' right now and are trying to sell things to uninformed consumers. This usually happens later in a console's life, when it has established a larger user base, but the Wii seems to have struck a chord.

that graph is bullsh*t theres really good games for ps3 and xbox360 that arent even on wii
unreal tourmment 3
halo 3
Restiance Fall of Man
Bio Shock
Etc
and wii has its games
super mario galexry
super paper mario
ssbb
mario party 8
wii sports
wii fit
wii play
etc etc

hoogasian5 said:
that graph is bullsh*t theres really good games for ps3 and xbox360 that arent even on wii
unreal tourmment 3
halo 3
Restiance Fall of Man
Bio Shock
Etc
and wii has its games
super mario galexry
super paper mario
ssbb
mario party 8
wii sports
wii fit
wii play
etc etc

Well if you go by revies then SMG, SPM, and SSBB are the only ones that are actually good on the Wii from your list. Also your small list of 360/PS3 is but a fraction of what they have, all in the 90's or higher based on reviews.

Everyone knows Wii has the worst rated game quality as of now, this is no secret. No point in denying it and no point in making a thread about it because its old news. All you can do is sit back and wait for the good titles that are to come (SSBB and Mario Kart).

T3kNi9e said:
Well if you go by revies then SMG, SPM, and SSBB are the only ones that are actually good on the Wii from your list. Also your small list of 360/PS3 is but a fraction of what they have, all in the 90's or higher based on reviews.

Everyone knows Wii has the worst rated game quality as of now, this is no secret. No point in denying it and no point in making a thread about it because its old news. All you can do is sit back and wait for the good titles that are to come (SSBB and Mario Kart).

should i name more ps3 and 360 games
crackdown
Assassin's Creed
devils may cry
grand theft auto
lost planent
lost odyseey
gears of war i can keep going

I wasn't saying you were wrong about PS3/360 having good games, I was talking about the Wii list not being good.

I know PS3 and 360 have quality games. I have those consoles and I tend to buy more games for 360/PS3 than my Wii because the sad fact is they have better games right now.

I also could name lots of good games for 360/PS3 as opposed to Wii games.

The sad thing is im only buying SSBB/MarioKart for the 2008 year for the Wii as far as I know at this moment, while my 360/PS3 list is alot longer because they tend to release better quality games. Assuming of course the games get good reviews because I don't buy games that get bad reviews, but I do occasionally rent.

hoogasian5 said:
unreal tourmment 3
halo 3
Restiance Fall of Man
Bio Shock
Etc
and wii has its games
super mario galexry
super paper mario
ssbb
mario party 8
wii sports
wii fit
wii play
etc etc

i didnt know wii sports and wii fit weren't on the wii :lol:

ohh and we all no that wii sucks a$$, but nice to see it in a graph..

can someone put that into a pie chart, i like pie charts :smilewinkgrin:

I don't think the whole story is being told:

1)Conspiracy has been pumping out shovelware after shovelware. If we took the 10+ crappy games they have published, the Wii's average would be higher...perhaps significantly. These games are gettings 1/10s from IGN.

2)Review scores can be all over the place. 1-up gave Trauma Center New Blood a friggin 5/10 because "it was too hard". But Bozon from IGN laughed at them for sucking miserably and gave the game over an 8. Gamespot gave Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn a 6/10 and wrote one of the worse reviews I've seen in years.

3)The PS3 has the benefit of getting 360 ports of AAA games thus its average review score is high. If you only look at the exclusives, the reality isn't so rosy. The Wii pretty much HAS to rely on exclusives to boost review scores as it can't get 360 ports and the majority of PS2 ports are half-assed. You could probably count on one (maybe 2) hand the number of multiplatform games on the Wii that are actually of great quality.

RedProdigy said:
I don't think the whole story is being told:

1)Conspiracy has been pumping out shovelware after shovelware. If we took the 10+ crappy games they have published, the Wii's average would be higher...perhaps significantly. These games are gettings 1/10s from IGN.

2)Review scores can be all over the place. 1-up gave Trauma Center New Blood a friggin 5/10 because "it was too hard". But Bozon from IGN laughed at them for sucking miserably and gave the game over an 8. Gamespot gave Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn a 6/10 and wrote one of the worse reviews I've seen in years.

3)The PS3 has the benefit of getting 360 ports of AAA games thus its average review score is high. If you only look at the exclusives, the reality isn't so rosy. The Wii pretty much HAS to rely on exclusives to boost review scores as it can't get 360 ports and the majority of PS2 ports are half-assed. You could probably count on one (maybe 2) hand the number of multiplatform games on the Wii that are actually of great quality.

PS3 doesn't just "get" 360 ports. They are Multi-platform games. Both systems benefit from them.

It's all down to a matter of opinion.

I'll leave it at many:lol:

Wait, so you mean to tell me that the wii is gimmicky!? And not only that, but publishers are exploiting that, resulting in low quality games!?

Its a conspiracy!
[/sarcasm]

Honestly, anyone who didn't know this before this thread knows nothing about the wii. This is very obvious information, and is no way biased, so quit your complaining.

only reason for those low scores is the fact that third-party developers aren't putting enough thought and effort into their games for wii.

if you haven't noticed, nintendo games are normally highly rated b/c they understand that it takes TIME to develop quality titles.

minto said:
Those graphs are deceptive because they zoom in; they essentially make the Wii review average the baseline. Zoom it out to start at zero and everyone will say 'so what? there's no big difference.' Throw in the fact that the author is basically ignoring the standard of deviation <--- i put that in bold font because that is something i havent heard of in a while makes me miss math class :lol: , and you have a bunch of really deceptive graphs. The author does make interesting points, but trying to justify it and fool people with these graphs is kind of low.

IMO the big problem with Wii games right now is that developers are throwing in motion controls even when it doesn't make sense. They feel like they have to because its the selling point of the Wii. They haven't yet realized that simply shaking a Wiimote is not a game. A lot of them are simply cashing in; they know the Wii is 'in' right now and are trying to sell things to uninformed consumers. This usually happens later in a console's life, when it has established a larger user base, but the Wii seems to have struck a chord.
I dont know why people are hating on the wii, the wii is a very good system with good games and a lot coming out. all the next gen systems are still fairly new and in time they will blow up with games like ps2 and xbox1. I have a 360 and Wii and the only games i really found WORTH every penny for 360 was call of duty 4, assassin's creed, and gears of war. Halo 3 to me was over hyped it didn't feel no different from halo 2 other then its minor improvements, but then again thats just me. Long Live The Wii

Back