do you think third parties are countering SMG?

thas

Canadian/Gamer for life
Sep 17, 2007
Canada
Wii Online Code
4614-1471-6665-4276
well when pokemon first came out it was a really popular, so other companies raged in to counter it. we can see it a lot through the years of gaming where one company make a game that going to sell and others make some to counter it. if you see that super mario galaxy is coming out on 12th/13th and you can see like 20 games following it. do you think its a coincidence that they are all coming out right after galaxy. what im thinking is that companies make games to come around the time a popular games comes out so people might see it. what i mea is its a way of being noticed.

if you get my point.we all know that super smash bros brawl is coming out on febuary 10th. my prediction is that there is a 55% chance of us getting another flood of games for wii. my question to you is, do you think this is why there are so many games oming out. also do you think we will have another flood of wii games near the release of brawl?

Last edited:
I think you have a good and valid point there but in this specific case it may just be coincidence (spelling?). This is one of the most important seasons of the gaming year. Its kinda like summer to movies. People are out doing their christmas shopping and that generally starts in November. Especially the day after thanksgiving "Black Friday". But you do raise a good point and I do expect to see quite a few great games tailing ssbb.

The upcoming big rush of games has nothing to do with Mario. It all has to do with Nov 23rd aka "Black Friday". That may be a decent strategy for other times of the year, but right now it is all about Christmas shopping.

Maleko said:
The upcoming big rush of games has nothing to do with Mario. It all has to do with Nov 23rd aka "Black Friday". That may be a decent strategy for other times of the year, but right now it is all about Christmas shopping.

that may be ture ut why must they come out right after galaxy? they have until the 23rd. why not come out on the 21st or the 22nd?

thas said:
well when pokemon first came out it was a really popular, so other companies raged in to counter it. we can see it a lot through the years of gaming where one company make a game that going to sell and others make some to counter it. if you see that super mario galaxy is coming out on 12th/13th and you can see like 20 games following it. do you think its a coincidence that they are all coming out right after galaxy. what im thinking is that companies make games to come around the time a popular games comes out so people might see it. what i mea is its a way of being noticed.

if you get my point.we all know that super smash bros brawl is coming out on febuary 10th. my prediction is that there is a 55% chance of us getting another flood of games for wii. my question to you is, do you think this is why there are so many games oming out. also do you think we will have another flood of wii games near the release of brawl?

Nintendo is the only ones who are willing to set a high bar with its games, this the only way that third parties will care enough to make something good for the wii if they hope to salvage their already dwindleling credibility.

Bring it on Nintendo! Show them how its done!

Because, I for one, is tired of the crap that's being released on the wii!

So, in the end, I agree with you and hope just that.

thas said:
that may be ture ut why must they come out right after galaxy? they have until the 23rd. why not come out on the 21st or the 22nd?

Shipping, pre-Black Friday sales (people like me who won't leave the house that day, etc), guarenteeing shelf space (very key this time of year especially), extra production time (can get multiple shipments into retailers if the need arises before Christmas).

If you look at the releases, they are bunched around right now to maximize their presence for the Christmas shopping season. It happens every year at this time.

Think about it, just like you rarely get two "blockbuster" movies on the same weekend (except for holiday weekends like 4th of July and Thanksgiving) you also rarely see two blockbuster games come out the same week. Publishers know that every perspective customer only has so much $ they can spend in a given week, so they all try to space out the games (at least the bigger ones) to maximize their sales. And if I were a game dev, I wouldn't want to release my low or no buzz game on the same day/week as a Mario, or Halo, or any big francise game. No one is going to pick up "Mudpies 2: Revenge of the Dirt" just because the store was out of Galaxy copies.

Back