Donkey Kong 64

Heavenhawk

WiiChat Member
Feb 3, 2008
Hey i looked for this post and couldn't find it, sorry if i am just repeating people. Donkey kong 64 was one of my favorite games, but i understand it was owned by rare. And i know rare sold theirselves to microsoft or something. Does that mean donkey kong 64 won't be seen on the VC? Or is it still owned by nintendo? :scared:

Sorry, I'm afraid it won't be coming to Virtual Console any time soon seeing as Nintendo and Rare aren't talking to each other any more. There's an argument over Goldeneye (another Rare game) coming to VC aswell. However as long as Microsoft owns Rare, they'll ask for a cut of the profits if Donkey Kong 64 is put on the Virtual Console and might even demand it is put on Xbox live arcade.

Oh, you don't have to worry about Donkey Kong. DK is Nintendo's property, so they retain all rights to it. That's why the 3 DKC games are on the VC. However, Spinty is right about other Rare games.

Hey IT needs 4 more mbs to run the game and nintendo has not changed the emulator so it will be a bit

The 2D Donkey Kongs for the SNES were completely Nintendo property. However Donkey Kong 64 was made by Rare. Although Nintendo owns the Donkey Kong franchise, they don't have sole ownership over Donkey Kong 64 hence Spinty was completely correct in his last comment.

Spinty said:
The 2D Donkey Kongs for the SNES were completely Nintendo property. However Donkey Kong 64 was made by Rare. Although Nintendo owns the Donkey Kong franchise, they don't have sole ownership over Donkey Kong 64 hence Spinty was completely correct in his last comment.

Rare made the DKC games too.

Spinty said:

The ones for the SNES where by Rare

Napalmbrain said:
The Wii won't need any sort of Expansion Pak thing, it has more memory than the N64.

Cant you read i said Nintendo has to make the emulator get 4 more Mb's right now it is only taking 4 Mb's of the wii's ram but the emulator has to take 8 for donkey cong 64

Bigjake52 said:
Cant you read i said Nintendo has to make the emulator get 4 more Mb's right now it is only taking 4 Mb's of the wii's ram but the emulator has to take 8 for donkey cong 64

And I said the Wii is more than capable of filling in that extra RAM. It's an emulator, it doesn't run the game exactly like an N64 would.

the dkc sereis was co produced with rare by nintendo, so i dont see why dk64 wouldnt show up. now banjo kazoozie, diddy kong racing, goldeneye, jet force gemini, those are issues.

lloyd_yayo said:
now banjo kazoozie, diddy kong racing, goldeneye, jet force gemini, those are issues.

we will se golden eye and diddy kong racing.

thought microsoft bought rare, nintendo kept the rights to donkey kong, diddy kong and the starfox franchise because they were originaly created by nintendo. rare only developed the game, they didnt create the idea of it. also rare and microsoft lost the rights to the bond franchise to activision and EA. im sure we will see dk64 soon.

Spinty said:
Sorry, I'm afraid it won't be coming to Virtual Console any time soon seeing as Nintendo and Rare aren't talking to each other any more. There's an argument over Goldeneye (another Rare game) coming to VC aswell. However as long as Microsoft owns Rare, they'll ask for a cut of the profits if Donkey Kong 64 is put on the Virtual Console and might even demand it is put on Xbox live arcade.

Then how do you explain DKC 1, 2, and 3 on SNES on the VC? I'm pretty sure I see a big fat "R" for "Rareware" when it turns on too. Nintendo had a bigger stake in that franchise than Rare did, so I am sure we'll see Donkey Kong 64 on the VC eventually.

I really wish that a person that worked for nintendo would actually jump in these forums... :\

Back