Faces Of Nintendo (Guide) LONG READ

+Maniacal=Maniac+

Am I Losing Friends?
Aug 8, 2006
Wii Online Code
4516-7863-9846-6018
I Decided To Make A Thread For People Who Just Aren't Sure About The People Of Nintendo. All Excerpts Are Copy/Pastes From Wikipedia. Let's Start With Nintendo Itself:

Nintendo:
As a card company (1889-1956)

Nintendo started as a small Japanese business by Fusajiro Yamauchi near the end of 1889 as Nintendo Koppai. Based in Kyoto, Japan, the business produced and marketed a playing card game called Hanafuda. The handmade cards soon began to gain popularity, and Yamauchi had to hire assistants to mass produce cards to keep up with the demand.

New ventures (1956-1975)

Nintendo Poster from late Meiji Era
Former headquarter plate from when Nintendo was solely a playing card companyIn 1956, Hiroshi Yamauchi paid a visit to the US, to engage in talks with the United States Playing Card Company, the dominant playing card manufacturer in the US. Yamauchi was shocked to find that the world's biggest company in his business was relegated to using a small office. This was a turning point where Yamauchi realized the limitations of the playing card business. He then gained access to Disney's characters and put them on the playing cards, in order to drive sales.

In 1963, Yamauchi renamed Nintendo Playing Card Company Limited to Nintendo Company, Limited. The company then began to experiment in other areas of business using the newly injected capital. During the period of time between 1963 and 1968, Nintendo set up a taxi company, a "love hotel" chain, a TV network, a food company (trying to sell instant rice, similar to instant noodles), and several other things (including a toy remote controlled vacuum cleaner called Chiritory[6] which was later seen as a two-player game in WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgame$ in 2003). All these ventures failed, except toy making, where they had some earlier experience from selling playing cards. Then, after the Tokyo Olympics, playing card sales dropped, leaving Nintendo with 60 yen in stocks.

Riddled with debt, Nintendo struggled to survive in the Japanese toy industry; it was still small at this point, and dominated by already well established companies such as Bandai and Tomy. Because of the generally short product life cycle of toys, the company always had to come up with a new product. This was the beginning of a major new era for Nintendo.

In 1970, Hiroshi Yamauchi was observing a Nintendo hanafuda factory. He noticed an extending arm, which was made by one of their maintenance engineers, Gunpei Yokoi, for his own amusement. Yamauchi ordered Yokoi to develop it as a product for the Christmas rush. The Ultra Hand was a huge success, selling approximately 1.2 million units. Yokoi was soon moved from maintenance duty to product development.

The 1970s also saw the hiring of Shigeru Miyamoto, the man who (along with Yokoi) would become a living legend in the world of gaming and the secret to Nintendo's longevity; his creative vision was instrumental in determining the path Nintendo's future (and indeed, the video game industry as a whole) would follow. Yokoi began to mentor Miyamoto during this period of time in R&D, teaching him all that he knew.

Electronic era (1975-present)
Nintendo's first step into the video games industry was to secure the rights to distribute the Magnavox Odyssey in Japan, which it did in 1975. At the time, home video game consoles were extremely rare — even the seminal Atari PONG console had yet to be produced.

Nintendo's first video arcade game was 1978's Computer Othello; a large handful of others followed in the next several years, Radar Scope and Donkey Kong being among the most famous of these. The early 1980s saw Nintendo's video game division (led by Yokoi) creating some of its most famous arcade titles. The massively popular Donkey Kong was created in 1981 with Miyamoto as its mastermind, and released in the arcades and on the Atari 2600, Intellivision, and ColecoVision video game systems (although Nintendo itself generally had no involvement with these early console ports). This release method would be used on several later Nintendo arcade games of this same period, including the original Mario Bros. (not to be confused with the later Super Mario Bros.). In addition to this arcade and dedicated console game activity, Nintendo was testing the consumer handheld video game waters with the Game & Watch. Then, in 1985, Nintendo struck gold with its Nintendo Entertainment System and continued with the handheld gaming market with their highly successful Game Boy. Nintendo continued producing updates of these two concepts, leading it to become one of the world's most recognized video-game manufacturers.

Nintendo's main line-up of video-game systems currently include the Nintendo DS Lite, Wii, Game Boy Advance, and Nintendo GameCube.

Shigeru Miyamoto:
(Born November 16, 1952) is a Japanese video game designer. He is the creator of the Mario, Donkey Kong, The Legend of Zelda, Star Fox, Nintendogs, Wave Race, and Pikmin video game series for Nintendo game systems. He has also produced many titles published by Nintendo on behalf of other developers, including the successful F-Zero, and the Animal Crossing games.

Miyamoto is the world's most celebrated game designer, considered by many as the greatest creative mind in the industry, and is often called the "father of modern video gaming". Video games designed by him typically feature refined control-mechanics, intuitive gameplay, simplistic story lines and imaginative worlds, in which the players are encouraged to discover things for themselves.

Employed by Nintendo as an artist in 1980, he was given the task of designing one of their first coin-op arcade games. The resulting title was Radar Scope, which was not as big of a success in the United States as Nintendo hoped for. He later redesigned the game into Donkey Kong which was a huge success, and the game's lead character, Jump Man—now called Mario—has become Nintendo's mascot. Miyamoto quickly became Nintendo's star producer designing many franchises for the company, most of which are still active and very well-regarded.

He is currently the Director and General Manager of Nintendo Entertainment Analysis and Development (EAD), the corporate sector of Nintendo. In 1998, Miyamoto became the first person to be inducted into the Academy of Interactive Arts and Sciences' Hall of Fame.

Satoru Iwata:
(Born December 6, 1959) is the fourth president and CEO of Nintendo succeeding the long-standing previous president of the company, Hiroshi Yamauchi in 2002. Satoru Iwata was responsible in great part for defining Nintendo's strategy both before and during the release of its GameCube video game console in 2001, a vision which helped Nintendo generate a forty-one percent increase in sales at the end of the 2002 fiscal year.[1]

Barron's Magazine named Satoru Iwata one of the world's top CEOs, thanks mostly to the Wii, Brain Age and a soaring stock.[2]

Nintendo
In 2000, Iwata took a position at Nintendo as the head of its corporate planning division. When Hiroshi Yamauchi, the company's president since 1949, retired on May 31, 2002, Iwata succeeded as Nintendo's fourth president and the first unrelated to the Yamauchi family through blood or marriage. He continues to help out at HAL as a correspondent. It is said that Iwata still works as an artist there, assisting in creating concept art of Kirby characters for use in the Kirby series of video games. His latest project is the Wii. He comments on the Wii in his section of Nintendo's Wii website, Iwata Asks. Iwata has also worked on The Legend of Zelda and Mario series of games. Iwata is a fan of the Super Smash Bros series.

Reginald "Reggie" Fils-Aime:
(born March 1961) is President and Chief Operating Officer of Nintendo of America, the North American division of the Japan-based video game company Nintendo.[1][2] Prior to his promotion to President and Chief Operating Officer, Fils-Aime was Executive Vice President of Sales and Marketing. He gained celebrity status among gamers following his appearance at Nintendo's May 2004 E3 press conference.[3]

Nintendo

Reggielution artwork made by a fan. A play on Fitzpatrick's version of Korda's famous Guevara photograph.Fils-Aimé joined Nintendo in December 2003 as the Executive Vice President of Sales and Marketing. He was responsible for all sales and marketing activities for Nintendo in the United States, Canada, and Latin America.

On May 25, 2006 Fils-Aimé became the President and Chief Operating Officer of Nintendo of America after former president, Tatsumi Kimishima, was moved to his new role as Chairman of the Board and Chief Executive Officer. Fils-Aime is the first American to hold this position.

Fils-Aimé shot to fame in May 2004 with the opening line of Nintendo's E3 press conference: "My name is Reggie. I'm about kickin' ass, I'm about takin' names, and we're about makin' games." His theatrical antics gained a cult following soon after, with many gamers calling him the "Regginator."[3] Following the conference, many images of him spread across the Web. Reggie is considered by some to be responsible for revamping Nintendo's public relations in North America, leading many fans and members of the press to dub his arrival the "Reggielution" (after "Revolution", the code name for the Wii).[5]

------------------------------------

Alright, I Hope Whoever Didn't Know These People, Knows Them Now.

+M=M+

And they became awesome in 2001 with the creation of Waluigi! :yesnod:

....You just C&Ped nintendo from wikipedia for what reason?

Cpt.McCloud said:
Because most of the people on WiiChat couldn't find Google if it got up and gave them a lap-dance

Cpt.McCloud said:

Actually I CP'd Shigeru, Satoru, Reggie, And Nintendo Individually. But I Digress...

I Just Did This So (as Frum Said) People Don't Have To Take Time To Search. It's Just Here On A Forum ABOUT Nintedo... Lot Simpler.

Actually, Sticking This Might Be Helpful In Some Sections...

If You Don't Find It Helpful Or Informative, Then Don't Post Anything Negative.

+Maniacal=Maniac+ said:
Actually I CP'd Shigeru, Satoru, Reggie, And Nintendo Individually. But I Digress...

I Just Did This So (as Frum Said) People Don't Have To Take Time To Search. It's Just Here On A Forum ABOUT Nintedo... Lot Simpler.

Actually, Sticking This Might Be Helpful In Some Sections...

If You Don't Find It Helpful Or Informative, Then Don't Post Anything Negative.

Quote me saying it wasn't helpful or informative. If you can that is.

It was a simple question.

Cpt.McCloud said:
Quote me saying it wasn't helpful or informative. If you can that is.

It was a simple question.

No, No, No... That Wasn't To You, man. That Was To Other Members Who Might Read This.

Sorry Bout That... :wtf:

I read it all! There were a lot of things I didn't know, very interesting!! :crazy:

Back