Final Smashes = Final Disappointment?

Stevwen

WiiChat Member
Feb 26, 2008
Las Vegas
Wii Online Code
2405-6575-0116-3326
So I can only imagine the amount of Hate that will be directed at me for even mentioning anything bad about SSBB, but something has been bugging me that I feel I should get off my chest.
That something is how completely disappointed I am with the Final Smash moves of each character.
I remember the joy and wonder when I saw the first video of Mario, Link, and a few other final smashes... but the more I've learned, and the more videos I've seen of them in action, the more I'm sure I won't even bother with them when I'm actually playing the game.
Now don't get me wrong, there are some that are really interesting/fun/clever/effective. Like Samus's SHOOPDAWOOP and subsequent transformation to Zero Suit Samus. Same with
Ice climber's Mountain of Ice-y Doom
and
Sonic's transformation to Gold Sonic and "flying-around-like-God-killing-everyone"
<-- not sure if this still counts as a spoiler

But now that the game has been released in Japan, I can't help but see the Final Smashes that seem... completely Lame
I.e.
StarFox/Wolf/Falco All having the same landmaster that has a different move attached to it
and ESPECIALLY
Lucas/Ness having THE SAME FINAL SMASH, AND IT STILL SUCKS

And thats just the tip of the proverbial Iceberg, shredding the Titanic of how Excited I was about Final Smashes.
And now I think that I'll just be going right back to -No item 4 stock FFA- like I did in SSBM...

It seems a damn shame, but the game mechanic seems like more of a slapstick distraction than an actual strategy or important part of gameplay...

prove me wrong?

!S

There's no need to prove anything to you dude. You don't like them, then don't use them. Problem solved.

I agree a lot of them were cloned.

WARNING: SPOILERS concerning Final Smashes Below!

..You've been warned!

samus/lucario:samus has a thicker stationary death ray compared to lucario's smaller mobile one.

link/toon link:same damned thing only one is cell shaded

fox/wolf/falco: same character IMHO different smashes and variations on reflectors and blaster properties but other than that it's just fox with a new skin to me. (and nothing will ever change my opinion so don't bother arguing)

Bowser can also be lumped in with the fox crew but his final smash lacks fire breath to substitute the tank cannon

lucas/ness: same thing different angles (one falls vertically the other falls in a fan-shape)

Dedede/Pitt:Both summon mobs of minions to attack you ones aerial the other land based

There are a lot of great ideas implemented in the final smashes but alot of them were very uninspired in my opinion. Just like the clone characters of melee, we have cloned final smashes in Brawl.
Although with subtle differences; just enough for someone to argue that they are original enough to be considered unique.

Last edited:
yes... all i must say is Falco W___ And Fox... what a disappointment when it comes to final smashes . i was .. i was.... i was hurt.....

It's your opinion. The game can't please everyone and no one can make a game where everyone will like everything about the game.

Everone has their ups and downs.....Just prepare for the Smash-freaks to flame you.

For me it is not a disappointment. Sure some of them might be cloned, only because ther character using them are clones. Even if you don't like them I'd suggest getting use to them if you're gonna play online with other people or offline with people who'd want to use it.
I'm not sure what the expectation of final smashes were, do you wanted them all to have 1 hit k.o. attributes? I'm pretty sure the developers look at each character as a whole (their regular moveset, speed, etc.) when trying to make a final smash for them to not over power them. Because of that some final smash isn't as effective as other in certain situations.
I'm looking forward to it though. It's like a super hammer :x

DAMIAN said:
yes... all i must say is Falco W___ And Fox... what a disappointment when it comes to final smashes . i was .. i was.... i was hurt.....
Yeah but i mean you cant please anyone, and if you think about it, the people playing as falco or fox wouldnt play as the other guy. duh. its all fair.

Lugia said:
i agree but ya know what, its just another item.

Exactly. When they were first introduced, to me it seemed like it would be a whole new dynamic to the Game, and instead its just an extra item.
Its an item with unique attributes and animations for each character.. but still just an item.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't expect them to be end-all moves that obliterated everyone on stage and guaranteed an instant win, but I just don't see how they even plug into the combat of the scenario. Its like a combination star+hammer+Konami-code for 5 seconds, and then the game starts up again.

I dunno... Maybe I'll be surprised come March 9th, but all of the extra items they added to Melee didn't entice me, and it doesn't look like the Smash ball will either.

Any ideas on how Items will work in multiplayer? Say with a random challenger rather than with a friend.

!S

Stevwen said:
but I just don't see how they even plug into the combat of the scenario.
hmm i didnt even think about it that much but it seems they dont. if they do its in the least context.

lol Wait till you play the game. You will find at least one person you like and you will main him/her. You will completely forget or ignore the other characters FS' and will concentrate on your own. If anything you will find someway of avoiding Ness' FS and you can use that same strategy on Lucas. Once you find out how to avoid the "cloned" FS' you will be glad that they are in fact cloned because then you will know how to avoid 2 FS with half the effort.

i dont like foxes, or captin falcins, i think there just stupid for some reason, they could of done better, for foxs team, there could be like an air rade on the people, and Ctp. F could of beenmake him really fast, boost his attack and defence or somtin

:yesnod:

I ain't hating ya, man. I know what ya mean. A few too many final smashes look the same to me.

Link and Ike-beat opponent repeatedly with sword
Bowser and Wario- powered up version of self
Pikachu and Sonic-fly around uncontrolably
Yoshi and Diddy-fly around and shoot people

Plus Lucario is just Mewtwo anyway, why bother changing him?

Last edited:
Well it's all down to peoples opinions isn't it? I mean you will find some people who think every single final smash is good in it's own way, while you will get some people, like the OP, who think some are disappointing, which is fair enough. Personally, I think most final smashes are decent, but I also think a couple are disappointing. (Peach's, Jigglypuff's, Ness' and lucas')

Subarnu said:
lol Wait till you play the game. You will find at least one person you like and you will main him/her. You will completely forget or ignore the other characters FS' and will concentrate on your own. If anything you will find someway of avoiding Ness' FS and you can use that same strategy on Lucas. Once you find out how to avoid the "cloned" FS' you will be glad that they are in fact cloned because then you will know how to avoid 2 FS with half the effort.

Well its not even going to be an issue for avoiding them, because half of these moves are just... easy to avoid.
Ness/Lucas's
especially.
And the other issue is that I don't 'main' any character, but play different characters each round to keep things interesting. I just wish that they had made them a little more... difficult to use but effective.
They were touted as being the huge change between Brawl and Melee, and I just don't see it. Instead its just one more thing to randomly spawn to make things "wacky and fun!" /end quotation fingers

Not to mention that I'm pretty sure I'll end up just not using the smash ball in the first place, so using/avoiding FS's won't even be an issue.

Unless items are always on during online matches, in which case I'll quit my bitching and use them just like everyone else.

!S

Back